News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Midland Texas - Nov 10-11, 2012

Started by scuzzy, November 13, 2012, 11:31:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scuzzy

Another fine shoot at the Midland Shooters Association. And of course the hospitality that we have come to expect from the John and Bill. Thanks guys.

Reddot and I began our trek to Midland on Friday about noon. Although there were only two shooters on the Checkin Sheet that didn't matter. It was our opportunity to teach a bit of shooting and history to two more Texans. And we knew that were always quite a few walkons there though.

Saturday dawned windy as heck with gust from 25 to 30 mph. We had just a few people trickle in. Then all of a sudden a boy scout troop showed up and we started the shoot with 13 shooters. Boy, that was a lot more than 2 to say the least.

And what a varied crew it was. We had part of the Smoky Briggs (of the Pecos Run and Gun fame) family show up, Laura, Carson, and Ruby. What a super nice family. Hey Laura, I hope to see you next year at the Run and Gun. The whole family was a pleasure to work with. The 2 girls, Carson and Ruby, were absolute sweethearts. If only all kids were like them.

There were two foreign exchange students, one from Switzerland and one from Spain. I wish I could remember their names right now. They were really nice young ladies. It was interesting to hear how things are in their countries these days. Evidently guns are more tightly restricted in Switzerland now. And it seems the economy, and crime, are even worse than reported in the media in Spain. They both were really good shots. I believe both would have possibly obtained the coveted patch if they had been back on Sunday.

Cliff bought out Coby, his son, so that Coby could hone is Rifleman skills. And Coby did a good job of it too. I didn't get to work with Coby much as I was working the other side of the line all weekend. But what I did see impressed me. He was a well behaved young man who gave it his all. Thanks for bringing him out Cliff.

We had Paul, an ex-Navy vet, come out. After retiring from the Navy he became a missionary who has worked in Africa and Central America. After a rather disturbing incident he decided he needed to learn how to shoot. And learn he did. One really interesting story he told was how he had been abducted by some rebels and was standing next to a shallow grave that had been dug for him. But he was able to convert the rebel leader and the last moment and was spared. Paul was knocking on the patch door. He had improved 1,000% by Sunday. However the AQT grind had him worn out by Sunday afternoon so he didn't quite make the 210. I'll see you next time at Midland Paul. It was a real pleasure meeting you.

I wish I could remember the names of all the other shooters. But I've never been too good with names.

As for instructors there was me, Reddot, Bill, John, and Frank.

And thanks again to the Midland crew. I feel like your place is my home away from home.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

wcmartin1

Great shoot with excellent instruction and lots of kids.  Good to get them while they're young and teach them marksmanship before they develop too many bad habits and tell some history they'll probably never hear in school.

Even though conditions were extremely windy on Saturday they all hung in there and focused on the instruction.

Thanks to all of the instructors and shooters for making this a safe and enjoyable weekend.

We plan on having two more shoots again next year in Midland and will announce them after we target the dates.  Hope to see YOU there.

One picture attached below that was taken after the first Redcoat on Saturday.  I stopped taking pics once I saw a better camera on the line.  Hopefully they will be posted soon as well.
"Unhappy it is, though, to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast and that the once-happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by a race of slaves.  Sad alternative!  But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?" - George Washington - from a letter to a close friend after the events of April 19, 1775

"There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our (the United States) overthrow.  Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter.  From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence, I must confess that I do apprehend some danger.  I fear that they may place too implicit a confidence in their public servants, and fail properly to scrutinize their conduct; that in this way they may be made the dupes of designing men, and become the instruments of their own undoing." - Daniel Webster, June 1, 1837

DieslPwrd

Congrats to all shooters on their progress! ..:.. Yep, Goble needs to post the excellent pics he took. ~~:)  One good thing about windy shoot days, they make it all seem easy when the air is calm!
Being born free is a privilege. Living free is an honor. Dying free is a responsibility. - LTC David Grossman

scuzzy

Here's a few pics I'm posting for Cliff.

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

CG59

Thanks Instructor Foster for posting our pictures. I think my format was too large to be accomodated correctly.  I'll know better next time. Bummer. :-[
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  Thomas Jefferson

CG59

Quote from: Triskele on November 16, 2012, 01:00:24 PM
Thanks Instructor Foster for posting our pictures. I think my format was too large to be accomodated correctly.  I'll know better next time. Bummer. :-[
PS: Paul, if you will resupply me with your email, I'll glady send you a dozen pictures I took of you shooting. Forgive me as I have misplaced your email. :wb:
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms  is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."  Thomas Jefferson