News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hollywood, FL November 10/11, 2012

Started by PHenry, November 12, 2012, 05:28:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

Drive 4+ hours? Cross Alligator Alley? A range in the middle of town? That seemed like "crazy talk" to me when 9mm4545 told me about this event.

Well, I can say without reservation that it was well worth the effort for all of us - shooters and instructors alike. This was the best event I have worked in a long time. From early Saturday AM, I could see it in the attendee's faces as they listened intently to the First Strike - these are our kind of people.

The Hollywood Rifle and Pistol club, established officially in 1935 is a very special place. It is surrounded by offices, strip centers and housing. An outdoor rifle range in the middle of town. As a result of the location, no center fire rifles can be used - 22LR only, but the range is very well laid out and the club president, Chuck, could not have been more hospitable. The club's commitment to marksmanship and the ideals of the Founders is obvious. They really went out of their way for Project Appleseeds and we are all in their debt. This is perhaps the first event I have ever worked that refused to take a range fee. That says a great deal in and of itself.

From the family of five with little to no experience with rifles, who  took home not one. but two Rifleman patches (with 8 year old Elizabeth scoring a 197!), to club member Wendy who was a mere three points away from Rifleman at her first event - what an amazing group. Words are near useless, as my head floods with images of people shaking my hand and asking when the next event would be. Two shooters insisted on offering cash donations to Appleseeds, and several took memberships and extra T-shirts. I found the level of enthusiasm and patriotism most humbling. Nothing like spending a weekend surrounded by people with an appreciation for their Heritage and Liberty to buoy the faith of an old Appleseeder. God bless each one of you.

Owing to the size of the line and DSL, we were forced to push very hard to get an AQT in on Saturday, yet not a single complaint was to be heard. The scores were frankly amazing. I do not recall ever seeing so many high scores at a single event. We had at least four Rifleman and a half dozen more knocking at the door, with scores near or over 200.

As I was driving home, I realized that I would not hesitate to make this trip again. South Florida is on fire, with the brush fires of Freedom!  Huzaaaah! O0
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Sly223

I can second PHenry,
Fantastic venue shooters and all around experience, From the 9yrold girl to the 82yrold Granny Who shot better than most who attend our events!
I'll post more later! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

ToneDef

What an incredible experience, meeting so many fantastic patriots dedicated to the cause of liberty. The founding fathers would be proud of their posterity in South Florida! I am so glad I drove to Hollywood for this shoot. More to come (and some photos, too) when I get a bit more time.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

alkeford

These South Florida Patriots are a Beacon in darkness. Yes they know very much what they are about. I dont believe I heard one complaint they took to the afternoon line Boss' commands like real troopers, even though  he was much Harder than the morning Line Boss. They did not miss a beat.

Congratulations to the new Rifleman Henry Sr,Henry Jr,Tommy and Luigi. Special mention to little Elizabeth for scoring a 197 and Wendy for an Impressive 207 (thats a long ride home). There were a great # of patriots BANGING on the Rifleman door in the 190's and 200's. I cant wait till the next event in Hollywood.

My fellow Instructors are second to None, and I am proud to serve the cause of liberty with you.
PHenry,Roy,Rick,Tony,Smoak and Mark.

Thank you all for your participation
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

alkeford

more pics
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

alkeford

Henry Sr and his little sharpshooter Elizabeth
Tomet Nosce

ToneDef

"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

sanchezraul

Awesome weekend. I thought I was going to shoot & maybe hear some historical facts. It was much deeper!  I learned some incredible shooting skills and more importantly I learned the realhistory of our GREAT country. I never once imagined I could feel so fired up. Can't wait for the next one!!!!!!

gtdiver

Kudos and huzza's to the instructor cadre at this event.  I had high expectations for this event after talking with folks in the Appleseed both at the NRA Annual Meeting in April and joining on the spot. You guys far exceeded those expectations. 

I was very impressed with the emphasis on safety, with the way the various topics are presented, and the positive reinforcement you guys provided. I have some work ahead of me to earn my patch but I'm looking forward to putting in the work

I, too, want to thank Chuck and the members of the HRPC for allowing us to use their facility.

Ralph

LibertyGate Kate

Great event! Thanks to all the instructors. You had a tough job running the line with so many students that you had a wall dividing one group from the other. Good job!
And great history/story-telling! I've heard a number of instructors in Montana, Wisconsin, and Ohio. I have to say that you rank right up there with the best---my first Appleseed in April of this year: a Ladyseed IN THE SNOW  :-X in Wooster OH and my second, which was down in Miamisburg OH. Both groups of instructors did such a great job that I didn't think I'd ever hear anyone else tell "it" so good----and then I came to FL!  O0
The history is so IMPORTANT!
Yes, the rifle marksmanship instruction is critical--especially now--
---but without the history, the marksmanship is just another great sport.
With the history comes the motivation--as the realization hits you--This is OUR HERITAGE, and it MUST be preserved!

ToneDef

LG Kate, folks like you make this the very best thing we as instructors can spend or time doing. Thank you for your patriotism, dedication and passion. You are the reason Appleseed continues to grow the way it does!