News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ramseur, NC Nov 10-11th

Started by adamsod, November 12, 2012, 11:57:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

adamsod

A Great group of people came out Saturday morning join us for a weekend for Heritage and marksmanship in Ramseur.  A couple of the early arrivals were entertained while watching the instructors run around trying to figure out how the defeat a uncooperative padlock on the range gate... turns out the lock was no match for a 3lb sledge in the hands of botbasher (one of our local instructors).

We got off to a bit of a slow start Saturday morning, but by the time we shot the red coat we had 51 shooters, 46 of whom had not previously been to a Appleseed.  The groups we starting to shrink as the morning went on, and by lunch time things down at the target line were starting to look pretty good.  We all got to hear the story of April 19th, 1775 as done by M1NC and KARDIAK KID during the afternoon.  As the day was drawing to a close, I asked the shooters if they had 13 rounds left in them... and received a resounding yes...  so we snuck in a red coat just as the sun was going down... targets do not lie, and the red coat showed just how much progress everyone had made during the day.

Sunday greeted us with 44 shooters who were ready to go...  after a morning of learning about WWII battle rifles and demonstration of common modifications to build a 10/22 based LTR it was time to shoot some AQTs.  Congrats to our two new rifleman Tim and Ronnie... as well as those that re-qualified.   I'm pretty sure we would have had a couple more rifleman (and  a riflewoman or two) if we hadn't had to change the clocks a couple of weeks ago... as people were close but the sun was going down.

I want to thank all of the participants for coming out this weekend...  I hope you all had a good time and learned a lot, not only about marksmanship but about our shared heritage!  Remember to dry-fire, and I'll see you out on the line again soon.

A big thank you to the incredible instructors we had come out this weekend as well (and congrats to M1NC on earning his red hat... excellent job this weekend).  the shoot would not have happened without your dedication.

A special thanks goes out to the young lady who Sunday afternoon reminded us as instructors one of the big reasons we do this...  It was the end of the day Sunday and the lineboss asked who is up for shooting the final redcoat of the weekend...  most of the participants were spent, but this young lady who was probably about 8 years old got all excited with a huge smile on her face and said "I do, I do".  It's kind of hard to find anything more motivating then moments like that.
Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free

Adena

What a great weekend!

Here are a few shots from Sunday.  More to come.

Adena

What a beautiful weekend for an Appleseed!

Hearing some DOM stories told by M1NC.

Adamsod teaching the Long Range component.

Absorbing the firehose of information.

Left side of the firing line.

Right side of the firing line.

Congratulations to our newest Riflemen! Huzzah!

Congratulations to our newest Riflemen! Huzzah!

Congratulations to M1NC!

Was the water cold?
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

M1NC

That last picture is kDan's Revenge!  See link below for full explanation:

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/crateslinger/ramseur%202-12/WANTED.jpg

I believe adamsod is entitled to the famous and yet-uncollected "reward"
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

Botbasher

Darn it!! I had a whole Ice Chest full of literally ice cold bottles.  ^-^  All in good fun Matt... I love the wanted poster!

What a great weekend!!

The students were fantastic... and the Instructors... well, lets just say that every time that I get to work with the group I am amazed at the level of professionalism that this group of volunteers emits. You could only hope to find a business that functioned with this level of acceptance and equality to spend your days in! If I could find that to spend the rest of my working week wrapped in, I'd be a very happy camper!!

I had a special time this event as I somehow managed to talk my non-shooting GF Lynne to come out. She's only ever fired a .22 pistol 20 times and never a rifle!! She was very VERY apprehensive! Special thanks go out to RH Adena, who after a pretty rough start (I was working the line and couldn't focus on Lynne) took Lynne and my malfunctioning rifle and whipped both of them into shape! One small medical emergency later (can I go back and shoot more? she asked!!) and trooper Lynne actually shot a 200 on the final AQT of the day! Had she not dropped 4 shots, she probably would have scored a Rifleman! She was so excited about it that she wants to come back next month and is bringing her youngest son (14) whom she was afraid to bring to a "wild gun range" and her oldest (18) who is in the Guard and wants to see what got his Mom so excited!

I didn't get my chance to run the line as was planned, but the help and support from the other instructors makes me confident that when the time comes (only a few weeks till the next AS!!) I'll be up and ready to have more fun!

Thank you to all who make these events worth the time and effort (you could cut my pay and I'd still enjoy coming out!!  O0 ) ... Students and Instructors alike!

Ken

Here is her transformation from:

Which end do the bullets come out....

Learning about DOMs!

Practicing...

and finally pushing those Red Coats back!!

And she only came out for Sunday only! What would she have done with a whole weekend?!?!

Proud of you Lynne!!!
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

Magloader

Quote from: M1NC on November 13, 2012, 11:37:50 PM

Sorry pal, come 2/13 you are getting SOAKED. One measly bottle of water, are you kidding? You owe for all the months you have gone without your due. *snickers and starts plotting*

But the red looks good on you. I am jealous.

ML         
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

PHenry

Looks like a great group. Glad to see the old "Home Range" still draws a proper crowd!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

kDan

HA!  That's great.  Nice work, Matt!  Even nicer work, Adam!   A rifleman perseveres, never gives up, and NEVER FORGETS!!!  What a great picture.  What do I do now with my muddy water from the swamp that was Ramseur 2/12?  I was saving it special.

I'll have to tell VietVet he can cancel that APB, but I can only apologize for getting Skeeter after you.  She's like a boar hound; can't call her off.  Just gotta wait til she grounds the hog and pull her by the leg.

Congratulations Brother.

Quote from: M1NC on November 13, 2012, 11:37:50 PM

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

CharlieHotel

"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

Magloader

Quote from: kDan on November 14, 2012, 07:40:57 PM

I'll have to tell VietVet he can cancel that APB, but I can only apologize for getting Skeeter after you.  She's like a boar dog, can't call her off.  Just gotta wait til she grounds the hog and pull her by the leg.

Kdan! So very happy to see that even after getting near drowned, New York still has one of the finest shoot bosses.

But I must say you are wrong. I am not like a boar dog. I am like a skeeter, hence the name. I stay there and remind everyone of my presence, but there is no way to get rid if me  >:D

@M1NC Please remember that water attracts skeeters. See you in a few months.

ML
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Lawrence

Great to hear from all the Ramseur 2-12 Alumni!

Matt (M1NC) spent more time under an Orange Hat than most career highway construction workers. Regardless we welcomed our 10th new NC Red Hat for the year. Three of those have become Shoot Bosses and maybe a forth to come in December. It's been a great year.

This was our second event in a row with attendance over 50! And 80% were first timers!

Improvements to the range are coming steadily, but no progress on the showers yet.

Can't wait for the February 2013 RBC! See you then!

M1NC

I have to doff my (newly Red) hat to Lawrence, it was his support and prodding  ~~:) that finally got me over the edge and out of IIT territory. 

Plus when Fred himself notes that I may be the longest serving IIT in Appleseed history....

...well it gives you a new sense of focus.

Thanks to all my 2-12 brothers - kDan, CharlieHotel, Magloader and everyone else who helped make this happen! (I'm looking at you adamsod, 762BBQ, Hawkeye, Wildman, The Kid, and Lawson - thanks!!!!)  The people you meet on the 'trail are friends for life and give you hope and encouragement.   ..:..

Magloader - I'll resign myself that this particular 'skeeter isn't going to be satisfied until I'm thoroughly soaked with whatever it is you folk pass as water in 2013 :P
Always take the high road - it has a better field of fire

If we lose freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth.

But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve...as for me and my house, we will serve the LORD.

Go forth and fear no darkeness

kDan

I did what I could for ya Matt, but all I got was this:

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Botbasher

Damn Matt.... I'd trade you hats, but I don't think mine would fit ya!

Good Luck!   :pop: :pop: :pop:

Ken
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

hawkeye

Great job Matt! You've come a long way since I first met you.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of crap by the clean end." Texas A&M student

Julia_H

"She is clothed with strength and dignity, and she laughs without fear of the future. When she speaks, her words are wise, and she gives instructions with kindness." Proverbs 31:25-26