News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, GA November 10-11, 2012

Started by franklinfarmer, November 12, 2012, 11:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

franklinfarmer

We had a great group of committed and enthusiastic shooters at the West Georgia Youth Range this Saturday and Sunday.   The weather was the best I have ever seen it.  There was a little wind on Sunday, but that was more than made up for by the cloud cover and persistent perfect temp in the mid 60s. 

Many thanks to all the shooters who helped clean up afterward.

We began the shoot with the introductions of instructors including a new instructor in training ringer68 who gave us a great deal of help over the weekend in between having an enjoyable day shooting with her dad.  A hearty welcome to ringer68; thanks for stepping up!

Your instructors included Wy Knott who told us about some dangerous old men and heroic women and fifed the White Cockade in connection with Isaac Davis' Acton Company's advance on the Old North Bridge in Concord, WorM2 who gave expert instruction on the right side of the line, goose who delivered the story of the second strike of the match, Oldfudd who covered the third, and franklinfarmer (me) who talked about the first strike of the match and the philosophy of liberty.  On Sunday we were also joined by Pariah who provided a  minicourse on rifle cleaning and provided some key pointers to some heroic women holding down the left side of the line, and Warp came out of the wood work to perform RSO duties between shooting AQTs with his AR magazine as a monopod in a dufflepud manner that would make a rifleman choke and a paintball warrior smile.

We saw AQT scores of 236, 220 something, and 215 by Barry and 213 by Ed for their rifleman patches.  Dennis requalified with a 213.  If I've got the numbers off, let me know.

Lilly, Colleen, and Luke persevered through the entire weekend to earn "Lest We Forget" patches and bring hope to the current generation (of us old folks).

We observed a moment of silence at 11AM on 11-11 in remembrance of Armistice Day which ended WWI at 11AM 11-11-1918.

Here are Redcoat numbers:

SAT AM/PM 400 yds (1/4) 300 yds (1/2) 200 yds (4/6), 100 yds (5/3), head (7/3)
SUN AM/PM 400(2/3) 300(5/4) 200(5/2) 100(4/0) head(9/2)

Please leave your comments below.  They help us improve.

Lost and Found: 

Lost:  A flexible plastic scope cover was lost by the Madisons.  If you have it, contact me, and we'll get it back to them.

Found:  A pair of reading glasses.  A pair of metal bolt and bracket muffs (brand Silencio Magnum)---these might have been from the range locker.

Update:  Owner of the muffs found.  Glasses still going begging. 
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

Warp

Canguy

My wife and I attended this, our first Appleseed, and it proved to be a highly enjoyable, educational and thought provoking weekend.  I for one, am patiently awaiting next years schedule so that the process can continue.   

Ultimately the success of the weekend stems from the efforts of all the volunteer instructors who were present on this Veterans Day weekend. I salute you and thank you for your volunteerism.

Scoutmaster

What a great weekend!  Thanks to franklinfarmer, goose, OldFudd,Wyu Knott, WorM2 and everyone else who gave so freely of their time and knowledge to help preserve the torch of Liberty.

Oh, and thanks to Pariah for the great demo on how to fieldstrip a 10/22. 

This was our first Appleseed but we will definitely be back. We did not qualify this weekend but next time Luke will have some Techsights and a proper sling so I know he can do it. 

I have to say the main reason I came to the event was to spend some time with my boys doing something fun.  And shooting is always fun, right?  What I learned is that the shooting is indeed fun, but the lessons in our history and heritage as a nation of Riflemen were really the high point of the weekend for me. 

On the heels of a national election outcome that was really disappointing to me, I was encouraged by the knowledge that there are still people who not only value Liberty but are learning and teaching others to "mark well our bright front sight".

My main goal for the next event is not  to qualify.  Oh, I certainly want to qualify but that is really secondary.  My primary goal is to bring someone new so they can be inspired, as I was, to preserve the precious spark of Liberty that can only be secured by a nation of Riflemen.

Ringer68

It truly was a great weekend. I was worried about the weather being cold and suppressing turnout, but we lucked out on both fronts. Great weather and a ton of shooters and Appleseed newbies.

I was pleased to see a friend attending with her husband. I had been talking to her about Appleseed for some time and was thrilled to see them turn out for their first event!

It was also fun to shoot with my dad. This was his first Appleseed. He did well, coming pretty close to qualifying. He had some technical issues to overcome which we hope to remedy so that he can qualify at his next event.

The history lessons were fun and interesting as usual. It was nice to hear one of the young instructors give her rendition of the dangerous old men (and women).

I was excited to receive my orange hat on Saturday. I am fairly new to Appleseed and have enjoyed participating at several events this Fall. I too am waiting anxiously for the spring schedule. I am looking forward to beginning my IIT training and volunteering at as many shoots as I can. Thanks for the opportunity Franklin Farmer!

goose

Pics from Sunday.

We had an incredible weekend. 

A diverse group of students, all focused on learning and improving.

--goose
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

failureToExtract

Hello everyone!  I had an awesome weekend and I learned more than I expected  Although I knew I would learn something, I did not expect to learn some of the things that I learned.  It was very encouraging to see several families and several young people attending the shoot.  I was even more impressed to see that the cadre had youth within their ranks.  I learned that there are people out there that still believe in the American dream.  Not the dream of moving to the United States or coming up poor and striking it rich like the movies teach you, but the dream of living a simple life and loving, appreciating, remembering, and keeping the liberty that has been afforded us at great cost by our fellow countrymen of past eras.  What better weekend to honor the memory of history's heroes than that of our Veterans Day Weekend?  So I went.  I have only ever heard good reports of Appleseed and became intrigued and so I set out this weekend to form my own opinion based on first had experiences.  I am very pleased to report that I feel that the project has exceeded my expectations.  I am now trying to convince my friends and family to attend at least one Appleseed Shoot.  Here is hoping that I can be persuasive enough!

I want to extend a heartfelt THANK YOU!!! to the instructors that so willingly volunteer their time to make these events a reality!  Also, I'd like to send along the message that you have not seen the last of me.  I'll be back, hopefully, at the next Waco event.  If not, then surely the next one after that.

Thank you, again!

Barry
Columbus, GA

goose

Sir FTE, I believe I detect an Orange and subsequent Red Hat in your future.   ^:)^

You summed up the spirit and the essence of everything that is Appleseed.

--goose

pic is the Friday afternoon sundogs
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken

Wy Knott

Hello everyone! I had a really great time last weekend and it was great to see so many new and returning shooters.Thank you for listening to me try to teach dangerous old men. I hope I can become a better at that! :P Congrats to all the new riflemen and the orange hat! :~ Thanks also goes to our photographers. ^:)^

Anna 
"I have no respect for a man hoo can only spell a word one way"
-Andrew Jackson
I love you goose- you brought cookies and sharpies...what more could a person want?

ToneDef

Scoutmaster,

I hope that name refers to the BSA, because that is one of the single greatest places to "Seventh Step." There are a lot of Boys there who are almost certain to grow up to be influential Men. The more Influential Men we have who truly understand the importance of liberty, the better we can begin to make some headway in bailing out our beautiful, but sinking ship. Thank you for making the commitment you have made to helping our nation's Boys grow up to be upstanding Men.
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

Scoutmaster

ToneDef,

Thanks for the kind words.  Yep, I have 4 sons.  One is an Eagle Scout and the other 3 are on their way to joining him. I actually learned about Appleseed from one of the other Dads in our Troop. Now I am on a mission to encourage everyone I can to come to an Appleseed weekend. What a great program and I think it fits perfectly with what the Boy Scouts should be all about, which is duty to God, Country and to others.