News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sparta, IL, November 10-11, 2012

Started by dond, November 11, 2012, 10:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

I just almost completed a rather lengthy AAR when the hotel took me off the internet and it was lost. I managed to get back on but I'm too tired to try and repeat it now. In the meantime, if someone else wants to chime in, please do so.

I will say that we had three new Riflemen and one to re-qualify. One of the new ones was a lady who had never shot a rifle before. And we had three new Orange Hats. That makes it a good weekend, even though the weather was lousy. 

More to come later.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Mutti

This was a great Weekend!

A very special moment was Saturday morning when the Coulterville, Illinois VFW presented the Colors. To see the hats come off, hands move up to be placed over beating hearts, and Americans face our Flag as the Honor Guard solemnly proceeded toward us - whew.  (Across the entire Range area not just AS)- This was very touching. As I could hear the Pledge of Alligence echo off the Berms a shiver passed through me.
--------
We are still looking for our second camera, but here are links to a few photos:

3 Rifleman and 1 re-qual:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/8179559194/in/photostream

1 of our Veteran Attendees:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/8179515106/in/photostream/

AppleCore giving a Sunday morning "pep" talk:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/8179191639/in/photostream

One on One :

http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/8179147914/in/photostream

To "The Three Amigas" : Tori - check your stock screw and Willie - amazing job on Sunday getting into prone position - I was so impressed with the improvement. Tell the Marion dudes who sent you up "Thanks" and to come back out.

Rifleman G. - Great job to perservere. We knew you could do it.

Travis - Thanks for coming back and for taking the Orange Hat.

Mr. M. - I know you'll get those equipment issues ironed out. Hope to see you again soon.

PB and iamadentist - Thanks for all of your help. The wind was a little challenging, but you were such great help in double staking the targets and managing to get our banner up.  Nice Orange Hats  O0

Mr. D - Thanks for coming out to see us again - with 190's - I hope to be there when you get your Patch.

Because we had two lines, I didn't get to spend as much time with everyone as I'd like - I'll see you soon though.

Dond - thanks for the mentoring. RiflesNReins and KD Cat - cannot say how proud I am to be your Mom.

(photo set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/sets/72157631991380209/)
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RiflesnReins

Hello everyone,

I would like to first thank the Coulterville IL VFW for presenting the Colors on Saturday morning. Thank you for taking your time to come to this AS. You did a very good job.

I would also like to congratulate Illinois 3 brand new Orange Hats: PB, iamadentist and Travis. Time to get those Hats broken in! ~~:)

Congratulations to our three new Riflemen! You guys are awesome! O0

Dond, Ken209, Mutti and KD Cat, thank you. I learn from all of you. :bow:

We had a very nice group of shooters this weekend. I would like to say, even though the weather was frustrating and even though there was difficulties, you persevered.

Thank you everyone for a wonderful weekend.

RnR
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

KD Cat

Thia was one of the best appleseeds ever!

Number one" Thank you Coulerville VFW  for presenting the Colors on Saturday morning.
Thank you everyone for coming. We had a very attentive group of shooters.
I was wonderful to meet you all. Saturday was harsh amd windy and if I was not mistaken a couple targets learned how to fly. Maybe I should invest in staple! ;D
Sunday morning the AQT were going and High scores were before my eyes! (And yes more targets flying!)
The amazing trio of Ladies were going right along. Congratulations to our new rifemen And new Orange hats.

And whant do I hear?!  Drink more water!!! ~~:) ;D

Was I saying that?!

KD Cat

When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

209Ken

Great weekend! Saturday was interesting with Cowboy Action Shooting and Three Gun competition literally happening on both sides of us. The wind was howling both days, congrats to those of you who shot rifleman scores in those conditions.

Speaking of congratulations, we had a red hat promotion this weekend too! Way to go Mutti! Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!

RiflesnReins and KD Cat, your energy and entheusiasm are contagious. You two are a great asset to Appleseed.

Dond, it was an honor to work under someone with such wisdom and experience. Hopefully we will work together again soon.

I will try to get some pics posted before too long...

209ken
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

dond

Everyone seems to have filled in the blanks nicely. Thanks.

First I want to say thank you and welcome to our three new Orange Hats: EODTech256, who is a fine member of our Air Force; Polar Bear; and imadentist. You have made a significant addition to Appleseed in Southern Illinois.

Of course I want to congratulate the Riflemen. And especially the new lady Rifleman. That was quite an accomplishment.

And Mutti, you have every right to be  proud of RiflesnReins and KD Cat. For additional proof, see the IAAR. I am proud of them too. And I am proud of you. You did a fine job in earning that Red Hat. Congratulations.  O0

209Ken, thanks for the kind words. I was highly impressed with your work and can't wait to work with you again. You have the correct, caring attitude working with shooters and all the instincts of a great instructor. Furthermore you have two terrific children who will soon be Riflemen.  O0 

We were extended every courtesy and offer of help by Mose Spencer and his crew at the Sparta World Shooting and Recreational Complex. And it is an impressive facility.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

KD Cat

Hello everyone,

I'm missing a camera I think the wind may have blown It away.  :(
If any one knows where it may be please send a pm to me (KD Cat) or mom (mutti).

Thank you

KD Cat

When a man loves cats, I am his friend without further introduction.
-Mark Twain

Don't limit yourself. Many people limit themselves to what they think they can do. You can go as far as your mind lets you. What you believe, remember, you can achieve.
-Mary Kay Ash

Steck

Looks like everyone Improvised, Adapted, and Overcame !

Mutti, congrats on the well-deserved promo to Red Hat!   ^:)^

Great photos, Mutti, what proud riflemen!  KD Cat hope you can find that camera...

EODTech256

Well I finally got a few minutes to sit down and write this.  (School is a bear). 

First off thank you DonD for allowing me to become an instructor.  It is quite a honor and I am glad to see that I wasn't the only one to get a hat this weekend.  Congrats to Mutti on her Red Hat and to PB and iamadentist on their Orange Hats.

DonD it was great to see you and your wife again.

Mutti your right to be proud of your girls.  It nice to see you all again.

Ken209 it was nice to meet you and hope to work with you again.

Even with all the wind there were several shooter with very nice groups on my section of the line Saturday. I am sorry I wasn't able to be there on Sunday to see the new Riflemen qualify.  Congrats!

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." --Thomas Paine, The Crisis, No. 4, 1777

Mutti

EODTech256 - It was great to see you again as well.

Now let's bring on 2013!

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

209Ken

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

MGF

This was my first Appleseed event, and it was terrific. I was in the section with Mutti and her kids, and they ran an outstanding line.
I learned more about rifle basics in two days than I had learned in the previous 48 years.

Didn't earn the patch, but know what to work on and have started. Scope remounted with quality rings, and DonD would be happy to know I'm practicing my NPA and rifleman's cadence in my living room nightly.

So the journey begins. Afraid y'all will have to put up with me again in the spring.  :)

Mark

Mutti

QuoteSo the journey begins. Afraid y'all will have to put up with me again in the spring.

Hibernate much? There should be some scheduling up soon - maybe we'll see you for a January Shoot! Either way - thanks for the kind words.
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

MGF

LMAO, mutti! **) No, hibernated today only because of a lingering cold and have a day off from the newspaper. Even took a day off from the range and/or teaching. As long as I'm nesting, I'm going to play "put-away day"and make sure all my gear is back in the spots it belongs. My living room looks like an armorer's bench.

Otherwise, making empty brass. Haven't got as much Appleseed practice as I'd like. A young Marine who came to work for us and I have been hitting the local range and zeroing optics and generally just shooting at 25, 50 and 100 (berm max) with my little 15-22, my Bushmaster and, soon, my AK. He's also getting back into pistol and I'm giving him a bit of instruction.  He's a good guy and a dang fine rifleman.

Need to get some more time at the range (Mondays are great for that at my club), so I can practice the Appleseed course of fire. Also, need to go out and find a little digital kitchen timer. My old "ding" wind-up one won't count 50 seconds accurately. Good news is that I did get a quality set of rings (Nikon) and it looks like we've got that Nikon glass on the 15-22 holding zero nicely. Been doing some living room dry-fire practice and looking for that "rifleman's cadence."

I've got at least one handgun course coming up (as a student) in January and my NRA rifle instructor course coming up in February. Oy ... I just wanted to regain a few certs I held as a younger man, now I've got an avocation that eats most of my free time. But I'm far from complaining. :)  My family up north misses me a bit, but they'll see me again soon ... AFTER I earn the rifleman's patch.

MGF

A question, although perhaps not in the correct forum. I joined RWVA by way of the same e-system through which I singed up for the Sparta shoot.
Should I expect a hardcopy membership card in the mail? Haven't seen one yet. No huge deal; just wondering.

dond

MGF, you should be getting a card in the mail, but it may take awhile. Glad to see you're practicing. That Rifleman Patch ought to be a snap next time.

MGF

Thank you, Don. Nothing would make me happier than earning that patch under the direction of you, Mutti & her girls, and Larry Morse. Next weekend, I will get to work on that course of fire!