News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Private Appleseed, Crescent City, FL Nov. 8-9, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, November 10, 2012, 12:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

I just completed one of the most enjoyable Appleseed events that I have ever done. On a private farm just outside of Crescent City, FL a group of 11 liberty loving Americans gathered to learn marksmanship and to reconnect with their unique history and heritage. On Thursday, eleven of the twelve shooters were women, who hailed from various parts of the country and who were all active in the conservative liberty movement. The event was organized as a private Appleseed and every one of these lovely people was specifically invited to join a several day long Liberty Retreat, featuring among other things, an Appleseed event. With as perfect weather as Florida can dish up, we were underway with an introduction and  safety briefing, a review of the line commands, and then on to the initial Redcoat target. The experience levels of this group ranged from "never shot a gun before" to fairly experienced but the Redcoat target showed that much improvement was possible. With the capable help of DrJohn, Smoakingun, Alkeford, Rifleman Rick, and Rambo Granny, we quickly got down to the three essential elements of accurate rifle shooting: solid position, six steps, and natural point of aim. With each course of fire the groups began shrinking and before long we were teaching about letting the targets talk to tell us of our errors and explaining how Inches-Minutes-Clicks can be used to bring the group's point of impact to the point of aim. Sights were adjusted, rifles were tweaked with adjustments, positions were nudged into a more proper form, and the firehouse of information was never turned off. The use of Rifleman's Cadence was taught and the "time monkey" was introduced to our happy group of shooters. By lunchtime we were ready for a break and the story of April 19th, 1775 was told. After a delicious catered lunch (!), the marksmanship teaching was recommenced. Standing, sitting, transitions, and reloads were taught and practiced and the concept of "Rifleman Calisthenics" became understood by all as the command "Safeties On! Stand!" echoed down the line. Another break allowed us to tell the Second Strike of the Match as the events in Concord unfolded. Finally, we were ready for the challenge of the AQT. While there were no new Riflemen revealed we did have a couple who met the basic qualification, a real accomplishment after a shaky start. We ended day one with the Third Strike as the War for Independence finally sparked into full flame. Our shooters were encouraged to keep the flame of Liberty alive by spreading the word of Appleseed as we ended the day.

On Friday the morning air had just a bit of a chill as the instructors began getting set up for the day. Before the students arrived we were treated to a private air show by Jim, who had been a shooter on the previous day. In a Chinese military training airplane he performed a series of aerobatic maneuvers and we were thrilled to see his consummate skill at the controls and to hear the throaty roar of a big radial aircraft engine. I have to say this is the first, and possibly only, Appleseed which featured an air show! Once our students arrived, a quick review showed everyone was still familiar with the information presented the day before and we got down to business. More practice with the squares target started to solidify the concepts and the floggings continued as the marksmanship improved. After a full morning of marksmanship refinement, including a "ball and dummy drill", we were ready for lunch and men like Hezakiah Wyman and Samuel Whittemore were introduced. Rifleman Rick, dressed as an 18th Century rifleman, talked about the muskets and rifles in use during the Revolutionary War and concluded with a mighty blast and cloud of black powder smoke as these firearms were demonstrated. In the afternoon the first AQT of the day was shot and we continued through the afternoon trying to make hits on the elusive tiny targets. With a rifleman team challenge, Team Bravo showed Team Alpha (you know who you are) which team had "the right stuff" and secured bragging rights in a very close competition. The final Redcoat target was shot in a Volley for Liberty and 13 early Patriots who made the ultimate sacrifice were saluted with our rifle fire. Unlike the first day, this time we had a lady who knew very well what she was about who cleaned the target. Huzzah, Debbie G.! By the end of the day everyone was far more skilled with a rifle than when they started and the cause of Lady Liberty was greatly strengthened. To everyone, students and instructors alike, thank you. You are the kind of people we need more of. In Liberty, 9mm4545
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

oladcock

Sounds like a great bunch and bet it was fun! We've had retreats like this in this area but so far have been unwilling to give up 2 days for a seed. Great opportunity to tell the story! My hats off to everyone.  :bow: ...O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

smoakingun

I can honestly say i have never had this good of a time at an Appleseed. The students were some of the most outstanding I have seen. They all took instruction very well, and worked hard, but what pushed it over the edge was three meals a day (including a steak supper Friday night) and the giant stack of cake boxes filled with chocolate chip, chocolate chunk, and pumpkin spice cookies.  O0 I know we don't volunteer do this for money, but I will work for food. >:D
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

alkeford

These Ladies showed me that there is Hope in the world knowing that we have Patriots such as this, Makes this Instructor sleep a little easier at Night. This AS go's right up there to the Top. I consider myself Blessed to have worked this event. staying on the Yacht with Dr John Breakfast,lunch and Dinner an Air show, Bathroom with running water. you guys really know how to spoil us.

thanks to Debbie R for setting this up. Wtg Debbie G for clearing the Red Coat target. The Determination shown by Ms. Pam and all the Ladies Of liberty Thank you for an Awesome two Days
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

alkeford

More pics
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.