News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR (Manchester) Tullahoma, TN Nov 10-11 2012

Started by TN_Dadx5, November 09, 2012, 05:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_Dadx5

The sun was just peaking through the window as I awoke early Saturday morning.  The day was supposed to be warm for November here in TN and we had a full line of new students at our last Appleseed.  What more could a guy ask for?

We had been bumped from our normal range at Arnold Air Force Base by the National Guard but the TN Department of Corrections graciously let us use their 50m range not 10 miles from ours.  We had 30 people signed up for our 30 spot range an was moving to a 20 spot range.  No problems!  Riflemen know how to adapt, improvise and overcome.

The majority of these students were members of a Boy Scout Troop.  We like the Boy Scouts and like helping them maximize their own marksmanship training.  The scouts are usually responsive and respectful, if sometimes boisterous.  We also had a couple of military buddies from opposite ends of TN meet here to see what Appleseed was all about.  I hope we met their expectations!

Our first Redcoat target always tells us what kind of day we have in store for us and this one said we were about to have a doozy.  Less than half of the students qualified, even at 100 yds.  This was not unexpected as most of the student had never fired a rifle.

Instruction began and the students kept up with the instructors.  Instruction and the courses of fire went a bit slow; normal for new students but at the end of the day all but one of the students did not qualify.  And we had 4 people clean the target.

Sunday brought more warm temperatures but lots of wind.  We had winds that were 15-20 mph and gusts up to 38 mph.  It got so bad that we had to lower the target backers to the ground and remove all tarps.  All of the students took the winds in stride and excelled.

Since were had an unusual number of new students, our AQT count was low and we produced only one Rifleman.  But I know that several of them will be back and earn their patch.

Now on to the pictures!

The Whole Group

Instruction Begins

And Continues

Not a hose, but a lot to take in

The Firing Line

Another Shot of the Firing Line

A Determined Student

Our Stylish IIT, BonnieBlue

One-on-one Instruction

Doing It On His Own

The "Tube-fed Twins"?

Dad Helps Out

Even Cousin IIT Helps Out!

Happiness is a Clean Redcoat!

Rifleman David (224)

And Our Persistence Award Winners

Thank you all for attending this Appleseed Clinic and I hope to see you all again!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

TNEagle

Pending TN_Dadx5's full AAR, here's a couple of range shots to whet your appetite:

The Firing Line Early Saturday Morning

Lone Line Boss
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

TNEagle

Here's a couple more:

Learning The Ropes

Sleeping On The Job (Not Really, It Was Windy)
Americans have the right and advantage of being armed – unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms. – James Madison

RunnFree

It was very nice to work with the Boy Scouts, great kids.  Every one of them was very eager to learn.  A bit windy but I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Love the pics TNEagle.

TN_Dadx5

That last picture needs a caption: Winds were so high that we had to use IITs to hold the lighter mats from flying away!
"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

BonnieBlue

It sure was windy, we almost got blown away with the mats!!!  ;)
It was a very good shoot, even though the wind.

Really cool Photos Mr. Lynn!

BonnieBlue 

TNEagle

Quote from: RunnFree on November 13, 2012, 11:26:30 AM
It was very nice to work with the Boy Scouts, great kids.  Every one of them was very eager to learn.  A bit windy but I think everyone enjoyed themselves.

Love the pics TNEagle.

As former scout, it was great to see a troop take an interest in Appleseed as a group.

Quote from: BonnieBlue on November 13, 2012, 09:57:14 PM

It sure was windy, we almost got blown away with the mats!!!  ;)
It was a very good shoot, even though the wind.

Really cool Photos Mr. Lynn!

BonnieBlue

Yep, if we had some really strong twine, I think we could have used the mats as kites!

Thanks for the complement RunnFree and BonnieBlue.

I'll post a few more in the next day or so.

TNEagle