News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Afton, OK, Nov 10-11 2012 - AAR

Started by Scarecrow, November 09, 2012, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

Place holder for this weekends up coming event.
:pop:

TomCat

Saturday was nice except for 20-30 mph winds. Sunday was another matter. Sheets of blowing rain started about 7:30 and continued throughout the day.   However, we got in some good instructions inside, fine-tuning firing positions and S H F.  Before lunch we did get in a good Redcoat round, some squares where the extra instructions paid off, and did one AQT, getting very wet in the process.  All afternoon shooters and instructors braved the rain and rapidly falling temps, but I can say I'm proud  of how everyone stayed in there with numbing fingers and fogging glasses.  Good attitudes prevailed all day, and on the last rain-soaked AQT that even with several sets of hands barely survived scoring in the wind,  we have a new Rifleman with Lane, who persisted and earned a well-deserved Winterseed patch, with a healthy score of 218.  Congratulations!
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

It WAS "Hard work..." all day Sunday, but these Okies and Show-Me's plowed straight through it.

TomCat

One thing we learned was how to overcome a rear sight clogged with rain that couldn't be seen through.  A piece of electrical tape forms a "good enough" hood that the shooter can blow free of water before each string of fire.

TomCat

Scarecrow does some sweet dance moves, attempting an anti-rain dance.  His efforts, however much appreciated, were not overly successful.

TomCat

Don't ANYBODY tread on THESE shooters.

TomCat

Instructions during lunch.

TomCat

Good muzzle control all day Sat, despite a few un-cooperative mag releases and wind-blown hats.

TomCat

A few early departures because of prior commitments, but a decent turnout Sat even though we were competing with a big gun show in Tulsa. 

SKSRifleman

Well this was my first Appleseed as an Orange Hat. It was a very rewarding experience. I met a lot of good people last weekend and it was awesome to watch people grow and improve in their marksmanship skills in a matter of hours despite the full value wind and rain provided by Mother Nature. I was happy to see a few shooters stick it out to the very end during the downpour on Sunday, one of which that joined the ranks as a Rifleman (congratulations Lane). I just wanted to thank Daniel, Tom, Will, and Al for their mentorship and guidance to getting me on the journey as an Appleseed Instructor. Had a great time, looking forward to the next event!
The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves; whether they are to have any property they can call their own; whether their Houses, and Farms, are to be pillaged and destroyed, and they consigned to a State of Wretchedness from which no human efforts will probably deliver them." - George Washington - July 2, 1776

"Like it or not, everything is changing. The result will be the most wonderful experience in the history of man or the most horrible enslavement that you can imagine. Be active or abdicate, the future is in your hands." - William Cooper

henschman

Fall is definitely here in Oklahoma!  The last couple of weeks kind of had me wondering.  Thanks to all our shooters for coming out.  Congratulations to our new Rifleman... anyone who can shoot to that standard in cold driving rain like what we had definitely knows what he is about.  It was very good to have our newest instructor Anthony on board as an orange hat.  This was the last 2012 shoot in Oklahoma... everyone have a great Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years with your loved ones and I hope to see you all on the firing line again in February (assuming we make it through 2012 without the world ending). ;)  I am putting together the 2013 schedule based on the assumption that the world will keep on turning and life will go on... but no matter what happens I know that a Rifleman will survive.   

Day is done
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819

K98Al

Man - Sunday looks brutal! Kudos to those who stuck through that weather, especially the new Rifleman!
I was only there on Saturday, and the wind was difficult for some, even without the cold rain. This was another great shoot, with good attitudes and persistence by all!
My two guests from church had a great time, and were in church Sunday morning, spreading the AS message.
Before we can defeat our external enemies, we must first meet and defeat everything in ourselves that is weak, lazy, and cowardly; everything in our character that is materialistic rather than spiritual, which seeks weak compromise and accommodation rather than struggle and victory.

Allen

Greetings,

Like the rest of the 49% of the population, this last week,they may take time to reflect on the state of our nation and the road that is ahead of us. It saddened me to see, that no one had truly addressed the issue of our uncontrollable debt and the consequences on our children and grandchildren. The "me first attitude" was clearly demonstrated to me through our electoral process. My vote was counted and I did my duty as a citizen of this country to execute that right. We have spoken as a people to the path that we're going down, for good or bad. For some time I have felt that character and integrity are no longer words that are spoken with meaning and and valor. People claim too, but do they really live these words out in their day-to-day lives?

At this low point, I had signed up to participate in a local Appleseed project. My wife and I have participated in the  Appleseed Project, on a couple occasions before and have had a great  learning experience  My wife and myself have  become big fans of this organization, and the values, ideas, and principles that it stands for in these uncertain times.

After arriving at the event, we observed an elderly man and his grandson knew he had purchased at 10/22 Ruger for him to use at the event. Both showed great enthusiasm, and it was later discovered they had driven up long distance to participate in this function.

As with most new shooters, the young man struggled to get his zero, and all the things that go with the training at Appleseed project.
Without hesitation the Oklahoma instructors went  above and beyond the call to help this young man and his grandfather's experience the program, its benefits and what it means to our future as a free people. Instructors worked with this young man in the rain, and wind, and cold to see that he got the most out of his experience. The joy that this experience brought this young man and his grandfather could not be paid in monetary value.

When things looked bleak this past week, it ended on a positive note, just knowing that the Appleseed instructors from Oklahoma that assisted this young man, showed to me a ray of sunshine in our future. All the instructors are true patriots;donating their time, money, weekends to continue the heritage that was passed down by our forefathers. Trying to make sure that our next generation will not forget these values, ideas and the character and integrity of our forefathers will not be forgotten.

Thank you, and God bless you for your service.

Allen

TomCat

I want to express my continued appreciation to Scarecrow, Henschman and K98AL for their guidance and mentorship.  I expect to be advised on how I can improve as an instructor and representative of Appleseed.  Good job Anthony on running the line.  Congratulations to our new Rifleman, hoping he and other recent experts will consider joining our ranks.

Scarecrow

Praise to all participants and instructors that braved the wind, water & temps.
Sunburn Saturday & near frostbite late Sunday.
This event brought my mood back up from the cares of events from earlier in the week.
Thanks everyone for making this one successful.
It did my spirits good to see youth on the line again.
Good to see some orange head covering on the line again too.
Thanks for stepping up Anthony.
Thanks especially to Excalibur Sporting Goods for hosting us again.

The Scarecrow