News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Clermont, FL - Nov 10-11, 2012

Started by Mr Pete, November 09, 2012, 01:52:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

Words cannot do justice to my feelings.

Attached is a photo of some of the finest people I have ever met.

Some items were left behind at the range.  If you're missing anything, give me a call or send me a message on the forum.

Please post your pics and comments.

Sincerely,
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

FLawyer

The instructors were truly well paid this weekend.  First group of pictures (from Saturday)
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

More pictures from Clermont. 
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

Once this shooter was loaned a rifle that was "just her size" (and color), she became a shooting machine...

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

A couple of pictures of Mr Pete working with a student on Sunday afternoon. 

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

Some context for these pictures -  After 4 or 5 AQTs on Sunday the shooters were introduced to target detection & identification, range estimation, elevation and come ups, compensating for wind and the all the factors besides "taking the shot."  The CMP was discussed.  Then as the range did not have the capability for this AS to shoot at distances beyond 25 meters (we were right at 82 feet and "snug" with little room behind the safety line), several instructors made their CMP rifles (and other vintage rifles) with ammunition available for the shooters to experience how it felt to shoot a high power rifle when applying all the proper fundamentals.  Judging by the ear to ear grins, it was a huge success.  They could quickly see why NPOA and a solid position were so important once that M1 Garand went off.  When we returned to more AQTs they seemed much more focused on applying the fundamentals.

Sarah (shown in the foreground) reminded me of the "Cheshire cat" -  All I could see was the ear to ear grin.

Molon Labe!

TomM1Thumb

What a GREAT! weekend for an Appleseed, Weather Perfect. 5 Family Groups present, DeadEyeRed was Happy cause there were a good number of Women on the line. I thought it was great Because We had some of the Most well behaved, well Mannered Young Patriots on the line than I have seen in a while.

Shooter,and Instructors, seemed to Jell very well. Weekends like this are the reason I became an IIT! Alexa, once You found a Rifle that Fit You, You were first to fire, and First to the target line saying lookie what I did!
Sarah, You were Great, Safety First! You made Your rifle a safe rifle, before going to fetch a round of ammo, so You could finish stage 4. Cassie and Thomas, I am still not sure which of You had more fun shooting an M1 Carbine!

To all the Shooters Thank You, Please return again, You can be on My firing line anytime. Instructors You all Rocked!!

I hope to see everyone of You on the Appleseed Trail again real soon!

TomM1Thumb
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Sly223

Nothin' more gratifying than to see a women handle a Garand, an absolute thing of American beauty! She should know that her faimly members had to use that rifle as it were intended!
Great lookin' event thanks for the pics FLawyer! ..:..
Good to see Corey and a formidable supporting cast turned out to help Mr. Pete!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

dayid

I can't seem to get the board to like my attachments, but I'll try to include the few pictures I got here inline:

Wonderful weather greeted us when we arrived at the Green Swamp Sports Club. Luckily, it would persist all day. This was a full class: I believe there were 24 shooters (6 under 18!), 5 IITs, 2 instructors, and 1 shoot boss. The day began with safety instruction and a simple primer on the 10/22s bolt-lock-back procedure for new shooters before the first redcoat targets were shot.

With such a full class there was definitely a good spectrum of experience available: Participants who had never fired any gun before, some who had never fired a rifle before, then some with rifle experience. Even the more experienced shooters humbled quickly when it came time to analyze and zero sights on the 4MOA sighting squares. 1" boxes seem to shrink at 25m (although they do seem to grow by the end of the day... hmmm...).

Compared to the last shoot, my two Model 60s performed far better this time around now that I'd cleaned the firing pin channels, switched to a dry lube, and cleaned them very heartily. Nicholas did have 4-5 failures to fire; however, he apparently was picking up unspent rounds after each course of fire (since tube magazines eject a round rather than doing a magazine-swap for some portions, so you'll have a live/good round on your mat after those courses). That's fine, and it's good to conserve ammo; but when the round was ejected because he'd manually cycled the action after a failure-to-fire - it's better to throw that round away. Concerned that my rifle was light-striking, I asked him for one of the rounds he'd ejected as a failure-to-fire after a course of fire. I looked at the headstamp only to see 4 good firing pin strikes on that round. He was picking it up and reloading it into the gun for the next time, somewhat absent-mindedly, hah!

You'd be hard pressed to not spot the improvement in marksmanship among the group by the end of the day. Unfortunately, Nicholas and I could only attend the Saturday portion this time around. More than just the improvement that was made while we were there, we each left with a better idea of how to "practice perfect" so that we could improve on our own as well.

Once we were packed up, the sun had left, and the mosquitoes had begun to swarm Nicholas got the opportunity to hear a little about (and handle, much to his delight) Shoot Boss Pete's M1 Garand & M1 Carbine.

It was nice to see some familiar faces, Teresa, Tom, Ben, Corey, & Glenn, all of whom I met at the New Smyrna shoot back in October; I also got to meet Ben's parents and Pete, our Shoot Boss for the event.

...and *wow* at the Sunday turnout! Jealous that I didn't manage the Sunday off, but with my work I just couldn't swing it this time around.

DeadEyeRed

^:)^ all I can say is WOW!!.  EVERY shooter there came with an open mind and should have left with a swelled heart of a PATRIOT. You were all amazing. Alexa was GREAT .To see a 6 year old fire an M1 Carbine.. and have a smile that could melt the sun. Sarah, Beth, Michelle and Margie...you will never know what a thrill it was see you on the line- WOMEN who know what they are about!. Mike ,Terrell,Dennis, Robert ..you all showed true grit. Basil , you brought such energy and life to the line. Stay you!I can't list everyone, but know you ALL have a special place in my heart. Keep DRY firing...hope to see you all soon under an orange hat.
As for the HATS... as always Appleseeds instructors and IITs are some of the most wonderful and helpful people alive.Thanks FLawyer for everything. And OPRAH , you know I love you... Teresa
IBC Palatka 3/31/2012
Rifleman St Augustine, FL 3/10/2012

308LIBERTY

3 Appleseeds down. Still not a Rifleman, but I'm happy nonetheless and proud to have taken part in such a "Garand" experience. I'm more than confident now I'll get the patch when I'm ready. You fellow Seeds are the cream of the crop and I see a lot of future Riflemen in the works. You should be proud of your dedication on this Veteran's Day weekend. For those of you in the Tampa area, I'm hoping we can meet up for a few practice sessions when time allows. While I would not presume the ability to properly instruct yet, I know we can work with each other using the guidelines already laid out for us in our packets. I hope you all have a Happy Thanksgiving and remember to be thankful for the heritage we all learned about this weekend. And even more, I thank those who took the time out of their weekends to teach us what you've already learned!
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Mr Pete

This weekend was one of the more inspiring weekends in recent memory.  Already we have Dwight and David chiming in!  Don't be shy and when people ask what you did this weekend link them to this page!

Saturday morning students and instructors were chomping at the bit.  People were actually waiting in line for the gate to open at 7:15.  Families and individuals, beginners and competitors, youth and elders...a very diverse group of 22 not knowing what to expect.  Heck, as my first time teaching in Florida I didn't know what to expect.  Thankfully (it wasn't luck) we had instructors with as much enthusiasm as the students!

Jefferson's words rang true and we saw the young (7 years old) and the experienced (71 years old) reinforce their boldness, enterprise and independence with the martial art endorsed by the founders...rifle marksmanship.

Saturday is always an intense drink from the firehose but when Luther Blanchard awards went out that day they were well earned.  Even more so considering they ALL returned for Sunday!  As our Posterity strived to better themselves I was inspired by each and every one of their efforts.  Instructors like Lucky Lori couldn't help but be drawn to Alexa and together they wowed their fellows.  Cassie (a fellow Girl Scout) and Thomas worked through everything, attentive and safe we couldn't ask for more.  Chandler's scores on standing were great...work on those other positions.  Ms Sarah by the end was turning in 40+ in standing!  Nick was only scheduled for Saturday but I have confidence that he will be back.  Just a little note on Ms Alexa...she struggled all day Saturday with a stock Ruger 10/22.  Heavy, bulky and difficult to operate she kept on going.  When we were able to find a rifle that fit her (Savage Rascal - pink of course) she was a girl on fire.  With that single shot bolt action she was able to turn in AQT scores in the 90's on her own.  Every single junior shooter easily earned everyone's respect.

There wasn't only inspiration from the juniors.  We have people like Basil who arrived late but mentally prepared.  He hasn't owned his rifle more than a week but he was able to smash out scores in the 180s.  His story was not unique either!  DeadEyeRed was constantly announcing ever increasing scores as Sunday wore on.  Myron and Michelle were freed up to turn in some great groups once their daughter had that pink rifle...I don't think she ever looked back ("Mom and Dad, I got this" was the feeling).  Kevin, Sarah and Beth were constantly one-upping each other with scores that varied between a couple of points on each of the stages.  Jim and Margie...what can I say?  The nicest couple you could ever meet, but they were also made of steel.  They slogged through Saturday, changed rifles and continued on Sunday...the heart of an American Rifleman is a persistent one.  David truly 7th stepped and brought Nick...we'll definitely be seeing him back in another capacity - hint hint foreshadowing (he requalified with a 220)!  Dennis and Terrell drove from our shared home range in Orlando out to GreenSwamp.  They both hit respectable scores and with a bit of dry practice there is not doubt in my mind they'll get their patches.  We had many in the high 180s like John.  Dwight, Robert and Michael keep at it!  Regardless of scores they all embarked on that Rifleman's journey.

Together we created a community.  John and Frank drove hours to get to Clermont only to find they are neighbors.  Terrell (a student!) along with FLawyer, TomM1Thumb and DeadEyeRed donated ammo to the Centerfire Celebration.  Americans helping other Americans made us all more than the sum of our parts.

Everybody worked, nobody quit and they honored the American Patriots who sacrificed their lives and fortunes so we could have what we have today.

Thanks to all the instructors who gave of themselves to help (former) strangers.

Most especially thanks to the students for a safe and wonderful celebration of our liberty.

Hope to see you all again on (or off) the Appleseed trail,
-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Johnnyappleseed

Reading this aar one can surmise the founders are smiling at their posterity furthering the cause of liberty . Great job Floridians ^5

FLawyer ,nice red hat ,congratulations Sir ,good  to see you again.

Mr Pete Sir ,we will be honored to have  you do a few guest shoots in Cali at your home range !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Mr Pete

MenotomyTY

I think I'll get strectched back out in a day or two... ohhh the aches.... this was amazing and I am kicking myself for taking 35 years to get more formal rifle training but I think this ONE was THE ONE to get. Many many thanks to Mike Mangan of CFRPC for talking it up.

I was not sure what to expect and found out I over expected on my skills. Humbled to be sure.

But that is why we come to train, to learn the weak spots and bad habits and get them remedied. Now I have a tool box to work from and can begin to practice practice practice. I am committed to earning that Rifleman Badge ( Army Expert ) and will be back. After I practice practice practice. Looking forward to maybe stepping up to some NRA Smallbore and Garand matches now that I have some training.

I appreciate very very much the commitment of RWVA to the history of April 19,1775. Having just been to Boston last month and visited Lexington Green and Concord North Bridge and even stayed in a hotel on Massachusetts Avenue ( the Concord Road ) in Arlington ( formerly Menotomy ) along which the British Regulars would have deployed and retreated, it came alive to me.

The whole presentation and pondering the moment back then, do I have what it takes to go out and stand 50 yards away from a line of men who would as soon shoot me as call my name and resist against "the long train of abuses that evince a clear purpose to render them under a state of despotism"? Am I made of that stuff? And what is it that impels me to such action?

Awesome. It was great to be among like-minded Patriots. A hearty thanks to all. Not sure what the Patriot cheer was but here's one for all the trainers and bosses.

I googled Pete's Golden Book of Favorite Songs and found one for $7 on etsy. They only had one. It is on it's way to my house. There are others but make sure you get Pete's to get the creed. Some of the others don't have it, only the songs.

On another note, I'm a book guy and I plan to get the Revere's Ride that Pete showed us. But I plan to order mine off the RWVA store. The RWVA is us and believes like us. I am not sure Jeff Bezos does. I am pretty sure Barnes and Noble doesn't. So for whatever else it costs I will order from RWVA to get that book on my shelf and read it and study it. Sort of like getting your horse shoed by a Patriot rather than a Tory. Know what I mean?

I have to say that I am totally impressed and talked about the young ladies all day yesterday at work. A first grader on an M1 Carbine. Does that rock or what!!!  Enjoyed shooting with everyone and looking forward to another Appleseed.

Scott1600

Peter,
Great weekend to jump back in the mix, huh?  Marine Corps birthday on Saturday, and Veterans Day on Sunday...  O0
By the looks of these pix and posts, you guys had a great event!  CONGRATS TO ALL!   ^:)^

Great job!!!
-Scott

PS:  It appears you have a surplus of Florida sunshine.  I got a sunburn just looking at the photos!!!   ;D
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

gratefuldog

Mr.Pete, talking about the importance of 'Community,' and volunteering.  I know that story.

Floridans: You now have one of the best; appreciate (and deserve) Mr. Pete!

Mr Pete

Oh man...do I really look that goofy telling that story?!?  You know what gratefuldog...I feel I got better than what I deserved in both students and instructors.  Even more knowing that with what they learned they'll pay it forward.

Hey shooters...remember all those Red Coats?!?

Nice job.  Afternoon scores showed that we were all a bit tired but look at Sunday AM!  Out of 21 shooters 18 qualified at a distance.  As we saw at the final presentation your groups were fantastic.  Nice job everyone!

Red CoatsShooters100 Yard200 Yard300 Yard400 YardHSCleared
Saturday AM
Saturday PM
Sunday AM
Sunday PM

-Peter

fisherdawg

Mr. Pete,
It looks like Florida suits you fine.  Sounds like a great AppleSeed, but here in Chugiak we are not in 'shirt sleeves' right now! ;)..Just wanted to say 'Hi' and 'come back to Alaska sometime'.
fisherdawg
Wally Thomas
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren