News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Miamisburg, Ohio November 3-4

Started by Edheler, November 05, 2012, 11:16:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edheler

Saturday morning dawned chilly but with the sun peeking out from the clouds from time to time. It sure looked like it was going to be a great day to Appleseed. Unfortunately, during lunch the skies opened up and we started getting a combination of sleet and hail which slowly turned into a steady rain. With the temperature in the low forties I decided to not risk everyone getting pneumonia and we continued instruction under the shelter. Even though we didn't get out from under the shelter until almost 3PM but we still covered nearly everything that was planned and got in an AQT!

Sunday dawned clear and sunny and it really turned out to be a great day to Appleseed! On the first AQT of the morning 4 of the 9 shooters shot riflemen scores! Patrick had the high score of 219 on that AQT! An instructor as shooter for the weekend shot a rifleman score as well! This AQT was special though since Bill and Russ, both repeat Appleseeders, both had the same exact score... 210! The North Bridge water might have been a bit chilly!

There weren't any other new riflemen the rest of the day but there were several reconfirmations! While we were telling the story of the Dangerous Old Men and Ladies we were visited by this little guy:

Later during an AQT it returned and our youth shooter called out a cease fire very effectively! This resulted in the instructors chasing it around the range and after nearly everyone else had joined in we got it to fly off of the range! A great victory was enjoyed by all! It was short lived though as it returned to test our determination and was successfully chased off by our most experienced instructors!

I know there are more pictures, please post them up! It really was a great weekend despite the weather on Saturday! I look forward to seeing you all again!

heliotropicmoth

Dara and I had a lot of fun and we both learned so much. The instruction was great and the people were interesting and nice. The weather on Saturday wasn't pleasant but as it was pointed out, our countries founders had it much worse. I can't wait until the next Appleseed in our area. Thanks again to the instructor crew, you guys and gal made it a great weekend.

Patrick

Quisling

I had a fantastic time at my first Appleseed!

Saturday was wet and a little miserable before the end of it, but I wouldn't have been anywhere else. I'm glad I stuck it out, because I really improved my prone position toward the end of the day Saturday, until I was much more comfortable with it (even in the mud puddle!)

Sunday was a much better day, and after showering and with a clear mind, I... set to figuring out why my rifle was shooting all over the place. Turns out my front sight had come loose! After we figured that out, I shot my best AQT of the day - 181 (huzzah!) The rest of the time was spent trying to get into a rhythm, figure out NPOA and comfort and try to relax to the right pace. I rushed shots, I cursed myself, and I let my elbow and focus slip more times than I care to admit. I came away still incredibly proud of the ground I had covered in such a short time, and looking forward to bringing a few friends to the next Appleseed I can sneak away to!

The instructors were incredibly helpful to me all weekend, carefully (and patiently!) helping with things all over the gamut: cheek weld, hand/finger shape and position, limb placement, breathing patterns, rifle sighting, timing and patience. It was a crazy ride and I can't wait to come back!

I'm likely going to shoot for something the weekend of Dec 15/16, either Zanesville, OH or Beaver Falls, PA. I have a friend driving down from upstate NY, so it's going to largely rest on if he wants to drive more (Zanesville) or pay for a hotel (since the PA shoot doesn't allow camping).

It was great meeting you all, and I hope to see you all again soon!

- Nick
Every single member of the colonial militia was a traitor to the crown and committed treason under the laws they agreed to live under.

But they did it with moral hearts, eyes to the future. They did it because new laws were being created that threatened their livelihood and the world they had created for themselves and their neighbors. They did it because it was the only right thing to do.

So yes,they were traitors and they were treasonous in a sense; but they were not traitors to their beliefs. They may have been quislings to the crown, but they were not quislings to their moral compass.

They wore this identity on their sleeves in most cases, fighting for their rights and letting everyone know about it. They took it on as a badge of honor, and refused to stoop to the lower moral level.

So who were the real quislings?

MeanStreaker

An incredible weekend filled with great people, laughter, and some serious skill building by everyone.  Thanks to all!  Stay in touch and I hope to see everyone again. 
Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

MeanStreaker

A very Cold Congratulations to Bill and Russ on both scoring 210! 

"Psstt... MeanStreaker... Are we really going to get them wet?  It's not even 40 degrees."

"I don't make the rules."  ;D

In case you want to see Russ:

A slightly less chilly Congrats to heliotropicmoth who scored Rifleman several times throughout the weekend rocking a Bolt Action.

And last, we have DryFire sighting in one of the coolest little mini LTR's I've ever seen.  I know what's going on my Christmas shopping list:

Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it.
--Thomas Paine

Used to ride a Kawasaki Mean Streak motorcycle.  I'm not an angry, naked runner.  :)

Ledfoot

Well - what a great weekend. Great turnout considering the weather and 3 rifleman patches awarded - excellent! I offer a big thank you to Edheler the shoot boss and all the instructors for all their help and support with my first time "Under the Orange hat" - especially MeanStreaker for letting me shadow him. Plus I had the privilege of telling the story of Sam Whittemore.

Things that stood out for me:

-The real commitment of the shooters; the way everyone threw themselves into the wet and mud, on a very cold Saturday. I think there were some good rifleman bubbles forming out there and some didn't even seem to notice the conditions...
-Slim's "sounds like full auto" trigger finger on the fun shoot - I can't believe he got off 100 rounds in that short of a time, though he did have to resort to his secondary backup finger as the primary seized up on on him...
- Three new riflemen - woo hoo!
-The hen pheasant running circles around the instructors.

Great times...

Ledfoot
The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, ... or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press.

Thomas Jefferson

DGMilty

Always a pleasure helping out the shooters, and always nice to see my fellow instructors, some new, and some who have worked with me in the past. 

Baptism with North Bridge water...don't know about MeanStreaker's canteen, but I usually have some ice in there as well, just in case (I brought it for HYDRATION!  There was a five-gallon container we could have used for the Baptism!!!)

I look forward to seeing each and every one of you again!

Until next time! :---
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

Corvette

Sounds like you had big fun. Sorry I missed it.  We were lucky enough in Wooster to miss the rain and sleet. Cold and gloomy we had though.  That was one gutsy pheasant to keep testing the patience of the hunters on the line.  I bet somebody offered an alternative solution for the issue (one that would have been more permanent for the bird). 

Impressed that a junior on the line called the cease fire, Rule #4 in action.  It was a great weekend for making Ohio riflemen, we had five I think up at Wooster. One of the five was a 17 year old young women and this weekend was the first time one of our male riflemen ever shot a rifle.  To go from "never done this before" on Saturday morning to Rifleman on Sunday is amazing.   

Sounds like I missed a great weekend.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Barbie

In typical Miamisburg style, it not only rained, but sleeted.  Nothing like getting pinged on by ice to wake ya up!  A big thanks to all the shooters for coming out and persisting through the weather...

Can't wait to work with ya'll again. 

See you on the trail.   :---

- Barbie
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

heliotropicmoth

I got to shoot a M1-A this weekend for the first time. A friend has a large farm in Kentucky with metal reactive targets out at 200 yards. I only got to shoot a few rounds but when I hit that metal plate it felt so good.  :---

Barbie

Quote from: heliotropicmoth on November 12, 2012, 03:09:11 PM
I got to shoot a M1-A this weekend for the first time. A friend has a large farm in Kentucky with metal reactive targets out at 200 yards. I only got to shoot a few rounds but when I hit that metal plate it felt so good.  :---

Ha, addicting isnt it?!  Bet ya had that "kid on Christmas smile" on your face when you heard that DING!
Barbie
(812)-290-4738
barbie_bedel@yahoo.com

Indiana Appleseed:  Farm Bred, Brass Fed

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

heliotropicmoth

Yeah  ;D The plates were on chains so they spun when you hit them. I didn't realize I NEEDED a M1-A until that moment.

Edheler

Quote from: heliotropicmoth on November 12, 2012, 03:34:57 PM
I didn't realize I NEEDED a M1-A until that moment.

I have an M1A but I really need one of these LMT MWS it was very difficult decision between it and a LaRue Tactical PredatOBR :) You can save yourself ~$1500 by just going to one of those directly. ;)

heliotropicmoth

Well I already knew I NEEDED an AR15, I didn't realize I NEEDED a M1-A with a beautiful wood stock. I also got introduced to a pretty sweet survival rifle. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M6_Aircrew_Survival_Weapon

This slope smells like Hoppe's 9......  :cool2:

heliotropicmoth

I wanted to thank all the instructors again. I would not have been able to hit these targets at 200 yards without attending my first Appleseed two weeks earlier.

I can't believe how much those thick metal plates move when persuaded by an M1A.   :---

Shep

Shooting steel is great fun, hearing ring back at you it very rewarding, but also can be a little addictive.

It was great getting to work with everyone at Miamisburg; it's especially rewarding when we see those who attend take the information offered and run with it!

Ledfoot, I do believe that was the best telling of Sam Whittemore I have heard, your unique perspective really gave the story life.  Thank You!
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

MeanStreaker

I hear every American should own a .30 caliber semi-auto battle rifle.  It's our birth right.  :cool2:

I'm still a huge fan of the M1A since it is what I cut my teeth on.  I have an all USGI NM from the early 70's I'll never sell as it's near and dear to my heart.  However, for practicality reasons (not sentimental yet) my Larue PreadatAR 7.62 has taken its place.  Be careful though in looking at 7.62 ARs as there are some duds out there and they're not all made the same in regards to reliability and durability, if that's important to you..... even though people will swear their Brand X they shoot 50 rounds a year has "never had a problem".  ;) 

Drop me an email if you want to discuss some details as I went down this rabbit hole recently and did a ton of research, with some hands on, on the 7.62 platforms available today.

Congrats on ringing that steel!
--Thomas Paine

Ledfoot

Shep

thanks for your kind comment regarding the Sam Whittemore story; it's a great piece of history about a truly remarkable man. I'm not really a literary sort of bloke, but when I think about Sam, and how his friends and family must have thought of him, this Shakespeare quote comes to mind: "He was a man, take him for all in all. I shall not look upon his like again"

Ledfoot.
The constitutions of most of our States assert, that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves, ... or they may act by representatives, freely and equally chosen; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed; that they are entitled to freedom of person, freedom of religion, freedom of property, and freedom of the press.

Thomas Jefferson