News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Roswell, NM Nov 3-4 2012

Started by oladcock, November 05, 2012, 07:09:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oladcock

A Rifleman behind every yucca is our motto, we need to grow a couple more yucca's! 20 eager Americans on the line for a chilly morning turning into a beatutiful afternoon as was Sunday. The story of April 19 1775 was told along with some Dangerous old men, ladies, and kids. A great lunch was served both days thanks to Boy Scouts and their troop leader.

Marksmanship fundamentals was taught resulting in all making great improvement from Saturday morning till Sunday afternoon. All, the scouts, Evan, Hunter, Luke, Luis, Lucas, Joseph, Dominic, Robert, Lonnie, and Jaime, you guys were great and an honor to spend such a great weekend with you. Congrats to Joseph for requaling as a Rifleman (and becoming an Eagel Scout). Baily, Mason, Luke, and Asher were our other youngsters and were such a pleasure. No doubt you will all become Rifleman in the near future. Ryan from Lubbock requaled despite fighting rifle and ammo issues and stepped up to take an orange hat. Welcome aboard Ryan! Liz, will see you at the next one, you are SO CLOSE!

I'm not sure but I think we might have a first? We all know how tough it is to make Rifleman at the first Seed. We had a husband and wife team do it!  :bow: Jeff and Carrie, great job and congrats! Hope to see you back and I'm going to chase you guys with orange hats till you take them!  ~~:)

Jeff was so kind as to stay afterward and let all the Scouts that wanted to put a few rounds down range with his AR and Joseph who had the highest AQT score (of our youngsters,219) put a round down range with the Brown Bess.

Thanks to all the instructors that made this a safe and enjoyable weekend!

Lots of photos below with more to come....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

oladcock

More photos...O.L.

"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Jimi

Jimi AKA Desert Eagle
100% USCG Vet ITWPATWT

ASRifleman

Indeed...It was a lot of fun, as always.  Very happy to have been in attendance, and even happier to have the opportunity to join the ranks of the elite in becomming an instructor.  Look forward to teaching others, and learning all I can as well as getting involved in everything possible.  Thanks again.
"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have." - Gerald Ford

"No free man shall be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson

duc-dog

What a wonderful weekend.  I admire the Boy Scouts and what they stand for so much.  It was such a pleasure to work with you all.  I always am thrilled to see parents and grandparents take the time and effort to make sure our history is passed on in both marksmanship and in word.  Bailey, Mason, Luis and Asher, you should consider yourselves so lucky to have family members that will give up an entire weekend to share this important heritage. Lucas and Joseph belong in the above list too, but an extra thanks to their parents for the awesome food!  We all learned something about outdoor cooking .......

Jaime, Hunter, Dominic and Luis....thanks for letting me score your AQTs. I had fun watching how much you all improved over the weekend.  You all have a great start at becoming riflemen someday......I expect you to keep up the good work!!

Jeff and Carrie, impressive to say the least.  Sure would love to have another couple in the instructor ranks.  Ryan, I hope to work with you in the near future.

Finally Miss Liz, always a pleasure to have you at an event.  Safe travel and come back soon so you don't miss out on our next Appleseed.

I hope to see you all at another Appleseed, you were a true pleasure!!

Margie,
AKA Appleseed Widow
If you will not fight when you can easily win without bloodshed.
   You may have to fight when there is no hope of victory because it
      is better to perish than to live as slaves.  
         Winston Churchhill (paraphased)

Carlson

I had a wonderful time as always! It was truly a pleasure to work with all of you again.

I loved Jimi's presentation of the First Strike.  This was the first time I saw examples of equipment and conditions that the Gentleman in 1775 had to endure.  The Hard Tack was especially authentic.  (Weevils and all).  I think it really helped drive the message home to the Boy Scouts.  It really makes me appreciate the modern kit and rations that I have in today's modern army.  I may have to consider adding a period authentic haversack to my Appleseed Tool Set.

I wish I could have stayed to the end on Sunday.  I really would have enjoyed watching Joseph fire the Brown Bess.  That bayonet is a wicked piece of war kit.  I'm grateful I've never had to be on the pointy end.  Being able to see a 18th Century bayonet really changes the context of the Morning Red Coat targets.  Taking the Bayonet seems more dire than I had realized before.   Thanks, O.L., for bringing that beautiful piece of history with you.

I realized just how important Project Appleseed is after the events Tuesday night.  I am glad that I've become part of this great program.  The Ship is still sinking, but we'll come thru it if we get enough help bailing.

Carlson

Some Photos  :pop:

Brilliant Idea for a Demo Target/Range table

Carlson

:pop: :pop:

Kara Instructing with assistance from Jerry Hall (Demonstrator)

Time to experience the Brown Bess.

Carlson

Special thanks to the Boy Scouts for Volunteering to provide a hot lunch for all of the hard working Instructors.

The Mess Hall

The Apparatus they used to cook the Turkeys. 

Cooking in Dutch Ovens.  Our Founder's prepared much of their food the same way.    Dutch Oven cooking is a great way to bring history to life.

oladcock

Good photos Matt! Except for that ugly feller in the green hat. Thanks...O.L.

AQT 246
IBC 2018
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

Johnnyappleseed

Good photos for sure !
Food looks great too !

That feller in the green hat looks like a chick magnet !
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge