News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gainesville, FL Nov. 3-4, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, November 05, 2012, 05:50:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

On a beautiful fall Saturday a determined group of patriotic Americans came out to Gainesville Target Range to learn about their rich heritage and to improve their marksmanship skills. By the end of the weekend, three new Riflemen were revealed and everyone's marksmanship was greatly improved. But more importantly, the heritage and ideals of the Founding Generation were remembered and honored. People learned of individuals such as Isaac Davis, Captain John Parker, General William Heath and of course, Paul Revere. Their actions, decisions, challenges, and successes were brought to life for the students, who also were very involved in an activity that the colonists held dear: marksmanship. From the opening shots on the Redcoat target to the final AQT on Sunday, the lessons were absorbed and the marksmanship did improve significantly. There were lots of rifle challenges but persistence was the watchword and steady progress was observed. It was a fine weekend in America and I was proud to be part of it. Hopefully, someone managed to take a few pictures and will be willing to share them.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Minutemom

This was my first Appleseed shoot, and my first time handling or shooting any kind of gun!  What an experience it was.  The marksmanship and history lessons I received were invaluable.  I learned that I needed patience, focus, resolve, and true determination and grit.  The weekend was more mentally and physically grueling than I had anticipated, and without the support and encouragement of the wonderful instructors I don't know that I would have made it.  I especially appreciate the help and attention I received from Bruce, Janet, and Smoak, and Bill was so patient and  helpful to my 10 year old son.  All the instructors were awesome and amazing and I am honored to have learned from such great patriots.  What made it so nice too was the support that the participants gave to each other, and I credit sweet Glenda for giving me the encouragement that I needed to make it through the day on Sunday.  I came away from the weekend with a renewed love and respect for those that went before us and sacrificed so much so that we might have liberty and freedom.  I know exactly what I need to work on before my next Appleseed and eventually my rifleman badge.  I regret that I only managed to snap one picture during the weekend, of my son Julian in between timed shoots on Sunday (he was a little exhausted  :P).  I thank the Appleseed Project from the bottom of my heart for passing on such an important tradition.
Love and liberty to all,
Chris Pampo 
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

BaldEagle

This was my first Appleseed also. I was informed of this organization by a friend of mine and I was scheduled for my first shoot not a month later.

A special thank you to our Shoot Boos and Range Officers who where knowledgeable, kind, courteous, polite, and SAFE! Due to the staff this event was so successful. From instruction, oration, and their willingness to even lend personal gear to folks that had forgotten something. Also to volunteer your time, gear, gas, etc.... Thank you!

It was my privilege to learn marksmanship and American history (some I had forgotten and a lot I never knew) from these selfless patriots. Also it was gratifying to see the cross section of patriots that turned up for this event including youth participants. How important I think it is for today to learn all you can about our heritage and firearm safety.

This was as I stated my first Appleseed but definitely not my last. I will be bringing my children and Wife to the event as well as sowing the Appleseed with others I meet.

With the instruction provided I was able to obtain the ranks of Rifleman! (Whew) much much much harder than I would have ever anticipated. Obtaining that patch was an achievement that I will wear always with honor to those patriots that came before me and  Hats off to all present and future Rifleman. I know this is only the beginning of my journey as there is always more to learn.