News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Fixing a $59 Rifle with Apple Parts (on the cheap!)

Started by techres, November 03, 2012, 06:09:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

So the boy and I were blowing time one day and came across a $59 tube .22 at a local shop.  While we are broke, a $59 rifle is an interesting find for the seeding pile.  It is a Higgens 31 and looked to be in good condition except for a completely snapped off charging handle. 

We took it to the range and she did just fine functionally:

http://youtu.be/wIMgIJUEUmU

http://youtu.be/FSgWwRiRBSY

Now, a new charging handle is $20 + s/h from Numrich, but I want this to be a $59 rifle, not a $80 rifle.  So it is time to fix it up myself - Kyber Pass Style (i.e. with whatever is in the cave using hand tools).

Here is the culprit - the broken operating handle:

Luckily, I have some spare mac parts laying around and have an iMac foot that should do just what I need:

Let's start with cutting out the main bar and doing the crude shaping:

Now we need to thin out the top a bit and dremel a channel-ture:

Here is the final product:

It still needs sling mounts and a websling (got some around here somewhere).

Tomorrow we go off to the range and see how she works.  I am sure it will be fine.  I mean, it's Official Apple parts & all!

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

hinermad

The body processes these compounds to reproduce, repair and grow new muscles cells.These dyes are usually found in blue colored sports drinks.It¡¯s also refreshing and totally safe to drink.Amaranth leaves contain lysine along with iron, phosphorus, magnesium and vitamin E and C.In fact, guava fruit contains the highest level of vitamin C in all fruits. Cheap Polo Ralph Lauren Outlet We recommend vinaigrette to flavor your salad instead of mayo or creamy dressing. Juicing might take away tomatoes¡¯ fiber content but adding the pulp back in should bring it back. Oakleys Cheap Frogskins Sunglasses This is ingrained deep into our minds. Cheap Michael Kors Outlet Handbags Pull-ups and bench presses are also excellent methods in developing grip strength. Oakley Sunglasses Cheap Also, bananas do not grow on its trees. Mac Makeup Wholesale It¡¯s a source of national pride. Cheap Michael Kors Handbags This fruit is a cross between a Duncan grapefruit and tangerine. Tiffany Outlet Bamboo shoots are also loaded with minerals such as calcium, magnesium, phosphorous, potassium, sodium, zinc, copper, manganese, selenium and iron. Ralph Lauren Outlet Polo Online Sale It¡¯s an excellent source of manganese, zinc and potassium.Through juicing, you give the gut a rest without decreasing your nutrient consumption.So to remain healthy, these organs have to be at their best.And collagen also plays a critical role in the production of blood vessels.The patient will feel fatigued, cranky and tired.

AFTERMATH

IOA

If it doesn't involve a hacksaw and a dremel; why do it? >:D
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Mark Davis

That's very nice, 
But(and please do not take offense because a guy handy enough to do that, probably already thought of this)
The weight of your new charging handle can make a diffrence in function. It looks thicker than original, it also looks to be aluminum. It most likley will work fine.
So you are on your own and I bet that does not worry you a bit!
To  truely be a Khyber pass gun smith, no vice is present, when making parts, you hold them down with bare feet.

All joshing aside, finding the scrap, hacksawing, fileing, the only thing more fun will be fireing!