News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Slidell, LA - October 27-28, 2012

Started by LawDog, October 29, 2012, 10:49:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LawDog

The Louisiana National Guard post at Camp Villere hosted 28 fine Americans on a crisp, but beautiful fall weekend.  I always leave an Appleseed feeling better about this Country.  I left this one really charged up that the tide is turning.

I am so enthused about so many aspects of this weekend that I don't even know where to start (but that doesn't mean that I don't have words to say!).  Should I start with my gratitude for the three active duty military men who brought out their children?  With the several veterans who turned out as well?  Thank you all for what you did and do.  It was an honor to spend this time with you and your families. 

Maybe I should start with Kenny, who showed up despite a bum back that kept him at the chiropractor all week?  He earned his RM Patch on the first AQT.  He then took an OH.  His work with some young Scouts was wonderful.  Thank you for overcoming your pain to be with us.

Speaking of Scouts, maybe I should have started with them.  I am very proud of those young men.  We cut them no slack, demanded that they keep up, and they responded to the challenges.  Well done!   

But I can't go much more without mentioning John G. who insisted on shooting Stage 1 from standing despite a bum neck and then shot Stages 3 and 4 sitting on a stool for the same reason.  His gutsy performance earned him a Patch and an OH as well.  He got right to work and earned our respect as well with his knowledge and attitude. 

And I can't leave out Tony, a very experienced high power/CMP shooter who has attended several events, but struggled with the low-contrast targets in Stage 4.  He pushed on and broke through to earn his Patch and a hat.  That hat formalized the service Tony was already rendering to the program through promotions and equipment loans.  Now we will also get his wisdom. 

(Seeing a trend here??)

I could also started with Keith or John F., both of whom showed remarkable shooting skill and took hats as well.  Or with the Instructors who kept the kids on the Line on time and on track, not to mention getting them on target.  Callie, Gunny, Steve, and Allen - you are a first rate group. 

Speaking of Steve, that Orange Hat may no longer shade your head much, but that RED one sure looked good.  Nice work, Sir. 

Callie and Gunny, and Mark, you are each an asset to the program.  Thank you.  Allen, anytime, anywhere, my friend.  And TDog, I am proud of you. 

All told, we saw five new Riflemen and three Riflemen who requalified.  Five of those Riflemen stepped up and became Instructors in Training.  Thank you.

To our other shooters, it was a pleasure and privilege to work with you.  You each have much to offer this fine Nation.  Remember, "I am only one.  But still I am one."  Find what you can do and get to it.  And come back and see us soon.  We will be at Amite in November and other ranges soon. 

LawDog

P.S.  Pennie, the pink shirt matched incredibly well.  Should I bring you a violet or green shirt next time?   Or better yet, how about an Orange Hat?

LawDog

More photos:

geeck

Thanks Dan for all you do to promote the Appleseed Project in the New Orleans area and State of Louisiana. Also a big thanks to Allen who I met at my very first Appleseed. There are so many great people I meet in the shooting sports, and the Appleseed Project has more than their fair share.

Gunner Earn

^:)^ This was my first Appleseed shoot and I learned more here than I did while serving in the Navy. Of course, being in the military, I did already know about gun safety and the whole nine yards, but just to get the kind of training you guys provided, there are not many of us get that. It's usually, we have about 200 or so personnel to shoot in a 2-3 day period, there is no one on one instruction. I would defianately try to return to more Appleseed shoots just to earn that rifleman qualification and keep coming back for more as long as it doesn't conflict with my work schedule.

Dan, you and your team of instructors were superb. You ran a tight ship, it shouldn't be any other way when it comes to the safety of your personnel and other shooters. Steve, you will be a awesome gun boss, your patience to try to teach my son is second to none. Congratulations on your promotion! Thank you Mark for setting up the trip for the Boy Scout Troop. The boys loved it. And to all the other instructors and the newly appointed instructors, thanks again.

Thank you so much and I will take this knowledge with me through the rest of my Active Duty time and through my retirement. ~Gunner  :---

Mutti

QuoteThis was my first Appleseed shoot and I learned more here than I did while serving in the Navy. Of course, being in the military, I did already know about gun safety and the whole nine yards, but just to get the kind of training you guys provided, there are not many of us get that. It's usually, we have about 200 or so personnel to shoot in a 2-3 day period, there is no one on one instruction.

I resemble that remark  ;D. I look back @ my time down in GITMO and the various other places thinking "Wow. Wish we had this then!" Nice to another Navy person contributing to this fine program.

mutti
"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

LawDog

Earn:
Thank you for those kind words.  Please do come back.  I could see it really coming together for you on Sunday.  To learn that much while also keping one eye on the boys was great.  It will be our privilege to work with you again.
LD