News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Zombieseed Piru, CA After Action Report

Started by bob 210, October 29, 2012, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bob 210

If ye love wealth better than liberty,the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom,go home from us.We ask not your counsels or arms.Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you.May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen. SA

Ninkulous

Well...  This was my 2nd Appleseed event, but my first Zombieseed!

My first goal was to see if I had retained many of the fundamentals taught at the Piru Appleseed back in August, and I was pretty pleased.  But as you can expect, there's always more to learn, and the instructors really were providing top notched advice.

True to the theme of "The Zombie Apocalypse", however:  what I REALLY wanted to accomplish was to verify that the rifle I had just built would in fact do its job.  Now while some might suggest that I should've used that AQT-intensive portion of the Appleseed to finally nail that Rifleman score, I'm elated that things worked out the way that they did!

Don't get me wrong, some sight adjustments need to be made to the new rifle, and I should probably practice more with using iron-sights.  But overall, it feels good to have built my own zombie-invasion rifle!

For my next Appleseed, I plan to bring out the good-ole .22, and finally nail that 210 on the AQT and do the instructors proud.

Special thanks to Cam and Jeremy for letting me try their historical rifles!  Truely beautiful pieces.

And a special congratulations to Victoria, our sniper, for braving the skills of riflemanship already!  If only Appleseed were around when I were her age.

Until next time...

m1jerm

It was great to get out on a range with a little more variation. We were able to stretch out to about 50yds on some of the extra fun stuff.
I got a chance to put some time into my .30 rifles and see if my skills held up.

Much thanks to the shoot bosses for putting up with us in this slightlly more free-form shoot!

I also enjoyed Bob's message about community, everyone needs a good neighbor when the zombie hordes rise...

Johnnyappleseed

A few decades ago "The Zombies " produced a record titled " Time of the Season "    O0

How cool is it  that at Piru it is the "time of the season" to plug Zombies  ;D   

thanx  Bob for putting this 1s ever zombieseed together . looks like everyone enjoyed themselves and shooting does honor those who fought royal tyranny to secure unalienable rights  O0

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TowedJumper

I came down to get a bit of shooting in and I definitely did that (its hard to find time to shoot as an IIT, can only imagine how hard it would be for a SB/RH finding time).  I think that was the most fun I have ever had on a shooting range despite it being the first time I got sand blasted at an appleseed from both front (in the morning) and from behind in the evening.  On the other hand as I mentioned to Bob, it helps you trust your NPOA and fall back on it as you literally have no other choice to shoot a stage in time.  O0 It was a 10 on the scale of 1 to 10. 

Thanks bob and cam!

I only have one picture to post, and this one didn't live much longer after this shot so this will have to do (poor guy kind of disintegrated in a rapid and dramatic fashion  :cool2:   :---). 
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related

TowedJumper

Things to keep!
1) shooting the paintballs attached to the paper was a very challenging and motivating at the same time.  4 MOA is good, 2 is better.
2) reactive targets (for those that weren't there they had full size silhouette's with shooting clays at the 5/7 o clock and 2/10 oclock with a 5th in the head).  It was very fun shooting at the clays and trying to knock all of the clay out of the target in a competition with the other groups.  Forces you to focus on your shooting with immediate round by round feedback in a pressure situation.
3) I don't think it was your intent but shooting at the steel target at 100 yards (5or6inch wide by 12 inch tall target on a post) was kind of fun.  It wasn't that challenging (I had better be able to shoot 5 or 6 MOA) but it was rewarding to hit something "out there".  As anybody who has ever shot an AQT knows, 25 yards is a lot harder than it sounds but hitting something at 100 has a bit of a positive feel to it.

THings to ditch (IMHO, and I only mention it because Bob was looking for feedback):
1) neon green in place of red for the targets on the redcoats.  It just kind of faded out when focusing on the front sight, for me anyways.

All in all, it was a fun shoot with a lot of engaging targets.  Good stuff!
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related