News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rising Fawn, GA Oct 20-21

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, October 23, 2012, 04:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

If ever there were picture-perfect weather for an Appleseed, I think we probably had it here in Rising Fawn last weekend. After spending most of the summer feeling like a raisin at the end of an event, this old Shoot Boss loved the cool(ish) temps in the morning that warmed up to the low 70's in the afternoon. (Note to self, do NOT wear long johns at future events unless it's going to be cold all day.)

In the weeks leading up to the shoot, we knew we would have a sold out line AND there were people asking if they could walk up in case we had an opening. My initial worry was that we would be short of instructors for 30+ shooters, but my worries ended when an entire Appleseed instructor family (Morpheus, Gretchen, Red Neva, and Cipher) signed up to help. This rounded out a great crew consisting of Tellico, DAG, WriteOnTarget, Arwen, Bowditch, and Goose, who came up to complete his IPC.

Saturday morning we kicked off with an almost full line. It was comprised of a mix of brand new young shooters who had very little, if any, experience, a few "seasoned" trigger pullers with some military experience, and a couple of multi-event Appleseed shooters who were determined to get that patch. After the safety briefing and an inspirational First Strike by Tellico, we tallied up the total on the Redcoat target. We could see we had room for a lot of improvement with only one shooter in each of the 100-400 yard targets and three squares. One shooter obviously knew what he was about and proved it by cleaning the Recoat!

Since Goose was up for his IPC he did most of the heavy lifting on the instruction basics Saturday morning and the entire instructor crew went to work coaching the longest line we've ever had here in Rising Fawn.

By lunchtime we could see the improvement as the shot groups began to shrink as they always do when shooters begin to apply what they've learned about the 3-legged stool of marksmanship: Steady Hold Factors to build a strong platform, shooting by the numbers (6 steps), and Natural Point of Aim. Yours truly gave the Second Strike and we got back to the line.

Our first Rifleman score of the day came early on the second AQT. Geoff B., who had already been shooting
groups you could cover with your thumb, shot a 230 and followed it up later with a 235! Huzzah, Geoff!

Geoff's buddy, Don B., who had accompanied him from Atlanta, shot the only other Saturday Rifleman
score of 211 with his AR. Way to go, Don! Ooo-RAH!

We took a hydration and comfort break in the afternoon and Morpheus closed out the history with a compelling Third Strike that made the shooters appreciate the sacrifices made for Posterity on that day.

At the end of the day Saturday we shot the Redcoat and, as I told the shooters, this is where you make the instructors look good. They did not let us down. We had tremendous improvement over the morning with 400-2, 300-3, 200-6, 100-5, and 2 shingle shots.

Saturday night the instructors took the opportunity to spend some extended fellowship time with hamburgers and hotdogs grilled up by Morpheus and chili from WriteOnTarget here at our house, aka, the airplane hangar.

Sunday we had a smaller line with one family of seven (now that's a family outing) not returning for day two, but it was offset with a couple of walk-ups we had been expecting. Orange Hat Bowditch also joined the staff for the day. After a review of Saturday, once again given by Goose, we moved into the AQT grind.

The shooting continued to improve and though everyone improved, several scores got closer and closer to the magic 210. The first breakthrough was 16-year-old Sam W. who shot a very respectable 218 with a Ruger 10/22 after practicing the basics all day Saturday with a bolt action.

At lunch on Sunday, and after some Dangerous Old Men stories by Tellico and Morpheus, it was time for a promotion that was long overdue. Goose, who I estimated had been an orange hat since the Clinton Administration, changed his hat color. Rumors have it that he welcomed Fred into the program but I think that's a bit of a stretch.

Next to enter the ranks of Rifle(wo)men was Shannon D. For Shannon this was her 3rd Appleseed, and after being plagued by equipment problems in the first two she was determined (can you say persist?) to get that patch. Her first qualifying score Sunday afternoon was a 218 but she wasn't finished. She then proceeded to shoot scores of 223, 225, 232 and then an event high score of 236. Warning to the Shoot Boss of the next event Shannon can get to, she's going to ask you for an orange hat so make sure you have one. Way to go, Shannon!

As the shadows were lengthening, and we were thinking we'd seen all the Rifleman qualifying scores for the weekend, we had one more to go. My friend Nathan, whose dad I've known since high school, proved that all the practicing he'd been doing was going to pay off but with a price. He managed a score of 210 and got the traditional North Bridge water baptism. Way to go, little brother.

Thanks again for all the patriots who came out to improve their marksmanship skills and to learn the history and heritage that made our country great. Many of you were only one errant shot away from qualifying, so keep on dry firing and it will pay off next time. Special thanks go out to all the young folks who took their time to come out and spend the weekend with us.

Thanks especially to my Appleseed family who stayed with us and helped make the event possible. I hope to see you all again soon.

For more pictures of the event you can find them here: http://s1121.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ramblinwreck77/library/Appleseed%20Events/Rising%20Fawn%20October%2020-21

See you on the Appleseed trail again soon.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Ringer68

It was a great weekend. Gorgeous weather, beautiful landscape and changing trees, good company, doing something near and dear. How could we go wrong? Thanks everyone for helping me get my qualifying AQT's. I did persist, but so did my support team! So glad to finally get that patch!

goose

Surrounded by incredible Americans, we had a superb weekend.  It is always an honor to be among the finest, and contribute to the mission and participate in the camaraderie. 

Words really don't begin to convey what seeing young Americans, who were attentive during the safety briefing and First Strike, sit without complaining and then focus that same discipline on putting rounds downrange with impressive results.

The Red Hat was not much short of 3 years of "bailing", and there is still much to learn.

Looking forward to the next event at Rising Fawn!

And, great pictures, Ben! O0
"The most dangerous man to any government is the man who is able to think things out for himself, without regard to the prevailing superstitions and taboos. Almost inevitably he comes to the conclusion that the government he lives under is dishonest, insane, and intolerable..." - H.L. Mencken