News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piqua, Ohio - Oct. 20-21, 2012

Started by slim, October 21, 2012, 06:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

slim

Families shoehorned themselves into our packed line and braved the cold wind to come out and participate in our American Heritage.

... more to follow!

:pics:

AFTERMATH

04:40 Slim?  Shouldn't you get to bed a little earlier?  Here I thought I posted at some crazy different hours! #) #)

Oh well I assume your shoot should be ending any minute now - I'm waiting for pics on this one. O0
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

DublinSeeders

My first post after my first Appleseed. Great experience, great stories, great time, great people. We will be back. Piqua was a good host and the weather was ideal for mid October, especially on Sunday. Slim and the RWVA guys were great and taught me and my rookie family to not only get our shots on paper, but actually hit what we aimed at. There were a couple Riflemen awarded this weekend, but we weren't among them. Congratulations to those who made the grade. Our time will come. Here are the few pictures I took.

Daughter enjoying lunch

One of this weekend's Riflemen hit 210 on the bullseye

Slim and Ohio's next Rifleman under our flag. Huzzah!

DGMilty

Awesome shoot...several counts to confirm, we had, uh,...many sets of families filling the line!  Seven, if I recall, if you include Coyote217 and his almost-son-in-law Bill, and FingerTip and myself...I'll include slim as my brother!

Minor issues; Mostly on Saturday, but a couple on Sunday as well...How do we make a rifle safe?  What's the song?  Mags out, bolts back, safetys on, flags in.  Simple, right?  Right.  The chamber flag goes in the chamber, hence the name CHAMBER flag.  Not a mag flag.  Safetys?  OK.  Enough of the soap box! :sb:

Lots of families, lots of shooting, and lots of history!  I talked to many of you individually and I really hope you work on the skills we discussed...hope to see you real soon at an Appleseed!  So sorry we were PACKED on the line and missed a lot of one-on-one instruction, but I am very grateful that it was a safe and enjoyable weekend...hope you all learned lots and had a good time.

On one of the fun drills, I saw that Steven's smile kept getting bigger and bigger.  Maybe some more "fun" or team building drills next time?  We missed the star drill, but had lots of trigger time.  How many rounds can we send downrange, at RIFLEMAN'S CADENCE, in one minute?  Do we need a "zombie drill?"  Weather permitting, I suggest a 50M sprint before shooting the team exercise!!!  This will increase your heart rate as well as your breathing rate.  So tell me, if your heart rate and breathing rate has doubled, and Rifleman's Cadence is "one shot every three seconds," you should be able to fire 50% more with the same accuracy, right?

Elizabeth came with her family of 5..I see a TON of potential in this young lady.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE don't get too frustrated!  I can see you excelling as a junior instructor!  You are so close to our shoots in Piqua, Miamisburg, and Wilmington...keep in touch, and I'll see if I can rearrange my schedule to work an Appleseed with you.  Maybe the weather will be a bit more favorable for camping next time!

Again, I am sorry we didn't get more one-on-one time, but I am glad the weather cooperated as it did!  Work on the "layers of the cake" and hone your skills!  I am really looking forward to seeing each and every one of you again!

Congrats to our new Rifleman, who was "baptized" with water from the North Bridge...AQT score of 210.

Glad to see the group size decreasing for everybody!  Keep practicing, and I'll see you soon! 

(slim, thanks for the GREAT deal on the 54R ammo.  Sorry the other interested party didn't partake in it)

Pictures to follow (if I find my USB cable)
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.   -Thomas Jefferson

GregM

I wanted to say thanks to Slim, Cron, and DGMilty for the excellent instruction provided this weekend.  My son (who shot the 210 on the last AQT) and I really enjoyed the experience and will probably attend a Sunday shoot in the future.   I will get a 210 or better also.   **)

Greg

Coyote217

What a great group, brothers, fathers and sons, mothers and fathers and kids, all on the line, all standing shoulder to shoulder!  Sound familiar?

It was great to work with all of you.  I was honored to baptize Tim M, Army Airborne veteran of Afghanistan, with the water from under the north bridge.  Dad was so close and will shoot the score if 60 holes don't appear on his target.   

I really enjoyed the young Americans on the line.  All showed what potential this great country has.   

Thanks to Doug for allowing me to shoot his AR10-B.  What a great rifle!

Hope to see you all on the trail again.  Remember the sacrifices that our fore fathers made for us.
"These are the times that try men's souls." Thomas Paine

Hannibal ante portas!

DublinSeeders

Shoulder to shoulder with like minded people. You guys made a lasting impression on 10 and 50 year olds alike. Now if I can just get my NPOA to settle down like Matt's...

hutsonal

Wow.  I can't believe so much time has passed!  We had an incredible time, even with the funky weather on Saturday.  Thank you to all of the volunteers for lessons, tips, and history lessons.  At one point, my 15-yr-old told us we needed to hurry back from the car because he wanted to hear the stories you told.  Also, we're looking at when we can come back for another shoot, and we're practicing what we've learned so far.

To anyone with families, this activity is a great way to spend some time together.  I've recommended Appleseed to several friends and co-workers already, and can't wait to go up to the shoot in Gibsonburg, OH (sp?).  We'll make sure the weather is suitable for camping when we go up there ;).