News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Niles, MI - October 20-21, 2012

Started by Caliper, October 17, 2012, 10:31:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliper

Placeholder for Niles, MI - October 20-21, 2012 AAR

tomahawk

Pitmaster

Cold and wet in the beginning with 29 outstanding Americans and 1 teenage young woman from Croatia braved the cold, mud, and some rain to learn history, heritage, and marksmanship today. We began promptly and everyone stayed until the end except one gentleman who had to go to a wedding and left an hour or so early.

I have more, but need to transfer them from my tablet to my computer.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

Lessee...

Enthusiastic, patriotic Americans came out to shoot, learn rifle marksmanship and rekindle the spirit of their American heritage.  What?  Heard that before?  Too mundane?

OK, how about, 14 total kids including 1 foreign exchange student from Croatia?  Still not got you cranked up?

What about 5 (count 'em, 5) new Riflemen forged in the steel of American history?  Now I'm starting to get to you.

Add to that, 34 total individual students (26 pre-registrations minus 3 no shows plus 11 walk ons) making this the largest shoot Michigan has ever hosted!  We were running 2 lines -- and for a while 3 lines -- at a time and keeping everyone moving, shooting, learning, laughing and having a great, safe shoot.

Spinkle on top of that great history, everyone getting a go at shooting the 2 Brown Besses we had running, whacking steel with ARs and Garands and M1As over at the 200 yd line...this was a great weekend.

Thanks to Oz for sending me many of these pics.  More when I come out of my Shoot Boss coma...

NRA Patron Member, SAF Life Member
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor, RSO
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Learning occurs only after repetitive, demoralizing failures." - Pat Rogers
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

mac66

Great job in Niles guys.

Huzzah for bunches of shooters and lots of new riflemen.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

Pitmaster

An enthusiastic and dedicated group of Americans. Their dedication comprised of tenacity, attention, discipline, and concentration towards becoming rifleman was evident throughout the weekend.

More pictures

Our foreign exchange student from Croatia

Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

OK, a bit more complete report:

Great to see so many shooters overall, familiar faces from previous shoots, new Appleseeders and completely new shooters.

To my junior shooters -- Ben, Travis, Bailey, Maddie, Nolan, Blane, James, Daniel, Parker (great name!!), Ashlei, Justice, Prosper, Ivana, Josiah, Eli, Bethany  -- I was extraordinarily proud of you all.  You will all grow up to be fine men and women.  It was wonderful to see brand new shooters (with Ivana here from Croatia!) take to safey and the fundamentals of marksmanship.  I appreciate your good humor, politeness, attentativeness and safe practices all weekend.  Keep working position, 6 steps and NPOA -- as well as dry fire -- and you'll continue to improve like you did over the weekend.

Renee and Eli -- as walk-ons on Sunday afternoon you did great absorbing a nearly full day of instruction in 2 hours.  I can't believe that you both were new to rifles...going from just "respectable" groups to shoting sub-1" groups at 25 meters in only 2 hours is fantastic!  Remember -- I'm always available to speak to the Homeschool-ers and/or Scouts.  Just let me know.

Tim, Andrew (good to see you again), Charles, Amanda, Stephen, Dan, Pete, Ryan, Jessica, Mark, Nathan, Bob, Bill -- you all improved significantly...this stuff works!  Ryan -- you were rockin' that 10-22Target.  You'll make it next time.  Jessica - appreciated your smile and attentativeness. 

Last but not least, congrats to our five (!) Riflemen.  Tom, Troy, James, Maddie, Keith.  Great job and persistence folks.  Happy to have been a part of your acheivement.

I'd be honored to shoot and fan the flames of our shared American heritage with any of you, anytime.

This last one is from our "mom" (hi Renee!) who showed up with her son at Sunday at noon.  Had never touched a rifle before and wanted to try.  With a couple hours of the fundamentals...position, 6 steps, NPOA, trigger control/reset, Rifleman's cadence...she was producing groups like these.  Upper left was early on...and they just kept getting better

Steel
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis
"Silence in the face of evil is itself evil; God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act." - Dietrich Bonhoeffer
"So live your life that the fear of death can never enter your heart." - Tecumseh
"Never attribute to treachery, that which can adequately be explained by incompetence" - Bonaparte, Hanlon, et al

SteelThunder

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

tomahawk

Steel Thunder . . . . because . . . . that's . . . . the way . . . . he . . . . ROLLS!

SteelThunder

By the way -- here are your intrepid instructors at dinner on Saturday night.  Pitmaster graciously caught, cooked and served "Mr. Hancock's salmon" for us. 

And we were hungry...

Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

solarguy

This was my first event.  Loved it.  Got my patch!  Thinking about how and when to do it again.

I have been thinking, and reading the forum and looking for a metaphor about how the Appleseed event changes people (from my fresh/newbie perspective.)

People who look for counterfeit money typically are not trained by looking at counterfeit bills.  They are trained by learning what the real McCoy looks like, in minute detail.  Once you know what a twenty is really supposed to look like, then the fakes become obvious.  If you don't know what the real thing is supposed to be like, that any decent fake will fool you.

I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights.

Finest regards,

troy

SteelThunder

Quote from: solarguy on October 25, 2012, 01:57:39 PM
I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights.

Finest regards,

troy

Troy it was a pleasure to have you at Niles.  You're right...that was fun! 

And you just captured the essence of what the Appleseed message is.  Took you a couple of sentences...takes me 2 days.  ;D
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Oz

What a great weekend and what fine people!  I was happy to renew acquaintences from Watervliet, and to meet new folks who had come out to shoot and learn about our nation's history and heritage.  It was absolutely a privilege to spend the weekend with you, and I hope to see you again (and soon!) 

Anyone who doubts the youth of today should come to an Appleseed (better yet, bring their families!)  The young people I saw were attentive, polite, safe, and seemed to have a great time whether shooting or learning--it is comforting to know that among the next generation there will be those who know what they are about.  Come again--and bring friends!  (Lots of 'em!)

Troy: well said.  Well said.

Oz

"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."

Pitmaster

QuoteRenee and Eli -- as walk-ons on Sunday afternoon you did great absorbing a nearly full day of instruction in 2 hours.  I can't believe that you both were new to rifles...going from just "respectable" groups to shoting sub-1" groups at 25 meters in only 2 hours is fantastic!

Renee's first firearm shot was a .75 caliber Brown Bess. Anyone get a picture of it? Did Eli get to shoot that? I don't remember him being in my line.
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

SteelThunder

Quote from: Pitmaster on October 27, 2012, 05:52:55 PM
QuoteRenee and Eli -- as walk-ons on Sunday afternoon you did great absorbing a nearly full day of instruction in 2 hours.  I can't believe that you both were new to rifles...going from just "respectable" groups to shoting sub-1" groups at 25 meters in only 2 hours is fantastic!

Renee's first firearm shot was a .75 caliber Brown Bess. Anyone get a picture of it? Did Eli get to shoot that? I don't remember him being in my line.

Eli took a picture of his mom shooting it.  Eli shot my Bess.  His comment? 

"Ouch"
Warlord of the West

Ultima vox civis

Pitmaster

Quote from: SteelThunder on October 27, 2012, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: SteelThunder on October 27, 2012, 06:49:46 PM
Quote from: Pitmaster on October 27, 2012, 05:52:55 PM

"Ouch"

Well, that was also his first firearm shot. At his age, size, and experience that is pretty mild. I bet he smiled afterwards and it wouldn't hurt now after the Appleseed lessons later.

"Ouch"
Pitmaster

NRA Endowment Member

MI-copperhead

Quote from: solarguy on October 25, 2012, 01:57:39 PM

Troy, I was so impressed by this comment I added it to my signiture line. ST is right, it captures the essence of what the Appleseed message is.
Morgan's Rifleman 250 yard cold bore, 10/29/2022, Tusco Rifle Club, New Philadelphia OH KD/Rifle M1A w optics/Prone
"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God ! I know not what course others may choose, but as for me, give me liberty or give me death ! " Patrick Henry
"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty, than to those attending too small a degree of it. "
Thomas Jefferson
"Stand your ground; don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here." Capt. John Parker
" I have'nt a man who 's afraid to go." Capt Isaac Davis
"I would say that the majority of Americans have no real sense of the value and the uniqueness of being a U.S. citizen.  Once they realize what they have, they are less likely to stand by while some politician attempts to whittle down their rights."  Troy a.k.a. solarguy