News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Seelyville IN - Oct 13-14 2012

Started by yellowhousejake, October 16, 2012, 07:31:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Yea, we beat the weather! For all the forecast about the potential for rain, the weather was beautiful. A perfect fall weekend at a great NEW range.

We had a fantastic group of students with plenty of families on the line. We had a very attentive group with good questions during instruction and complete focus for the history. Which was expertly given I think.

Our young shooters, Ian, Jacob, Libby, and Hannah showed promise always handling their rifles safely and learning the safe rifle drill well. Our new shooters did a great job learning the ropes, drinking from the firehose and taking in all the instruction they could. Sara and Janet started out I don't think ever handling a rifle before and by the end of the day Saturday were running their rifles like pros and ever improving their skills. Sara nearly cleared her Saturday Redcoat! Saturday was learning, and by all accounts the learning went well.

Sunday dawned with a gloom of impending rain, which gave way to wind, but warm sunshine. We started out with a thorough review of the six steps, steady hold factors, and safety rules. With time left on the clock before we could send rounds downrange we talked a bit more about history. Elizabeth Zane, Samuel, Hezekiah, and David Lamson all told their stories and we learned how one person can make a difference, how age doesn't matter, and how perseverance is the key. Then we started the AQT grind and listened to what our targets were saying.

Sunday ended with KD at 100 yards, and sound of M2 ball hitting steel as we took turns with the Garand. A few parting words about why we are here, what we can do to make our communities (and our country) better.

A big HUZZAH to the Lost Creek Conservation Club for allowing us the use of the wonderful facilities and to Ron for making this event possible.

Thank you all for coming.

Yellowhousejake

(pictures coming shortly)

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

Good morning and welcome to Appleseed!

Hawkhavn gives us the skinny on safety

Brown tells us about the redcoat

We have some new shooters, so a bit of rifle familiarization is needed

First rounds downrange

How did we do? Would the founders be proud?

Let's learn how our triggers work

And the instruction begins...

There is no age requirement for Riflemen...

Smiles, we like 'em!

Standing is not hard, we just have to REST

A new position, a Rifleman can shoot from anywhere.

What a fine looking bunch of Americans!

Sunday starts with review. Brown, working on his second Shoot Boss in Training, shows he has mastered the art of instructing without spilling his coffee.

And more history, Dangerous old men and Women (some not so old.)

Cute break... "Girls can do anything" is a Elizabeth Zane approved tee shirt

Time for a AQT demo, slow is smooth and smooth is fast.

And the AQT grind begins.

AQTs done, we get to try our hand at Known Distance, will a 22 work at 100 yards Jake?

Yea, it will work... gimme six minutes elevation a six o'clock hold on the steel

But I know something that works better!

The best part about Appleseed? The future.

Thank you all for spending your weekend with us. We look forward to seeing you all again. Tell your friends and share with them what you heard, what you learned, and what you did.
http://appleseedinfo.org/indiana

Yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Calamity

I absolutely love the last picture, those smiles are amazing!   Good job to all!  Apples don't fall far from the tree? Neither do Appleseeders!   
Train up a child in the way he should go, And when he is old he will not depart from it. Proverbs 22:6
who satisfieth thy mouth with good things;so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's. Psalms 103:5

'"A girl with a husband can be limited in what she can do. A girl with a rifle ain't got that problem." Calamity Jane

220swift

What a great week end.  Thanks to the participants and instructors.  Lost Creek is looking forward to future seeds.