News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL Oct 13-14, 2012

Started by NHale, October 15, 2012, 06:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHale

Children, Crosswinds, and a Rifleman Revealed.

What a great weekend for Lady Liberty!  Another fine group of Americans gathered together in Myakka City for an intense weekend of American History, and the pursuit of American Heritage-Rifle Marksmanship.

Our Shoot Boss, Sly223, ran a fast-paced, informative, and inspiring Appleseed. The history of April 19, 1775 was told with animation and reverence. At times, it was though a window were opened to that period, that we as Americans could look into with wonder as to how much we have changed. With tears in his eyes, Sly223 told of why he does all he does - for the children. Not just his children, or our children, but all the children. The posterity that John Adams addressed across time:

"Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

The children that came this weekend, were outstanding. Not a single safety issue, not a single complaint, and very respectable scores. Adams need not repent for any of them.

Despite a mosquito repelling crosswind, another fine American was revealed to know very much what he was about. Rather than complaining, this Rifleman persisted and earned the coveted Rifleman Patch.  Greg, well done sir!

Thank you very much to ALL the outstanding instructors, and attendees, particularly the children, who did their parents and forefathers proud!
Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

alkeford

We had an excellent weekend for Liberty. The weather could not be beat (no rain). Everyone showed up with a teachable attitude. The fire hose was wide open and they drank it up. We have one more to ad to the rifleman ranks. The children at this event were outstanding. Josh mastered his sling and Rifle like a pro. Conner is very well on his way to becoming a rifleman with scores surpassing half the adults. Max showed determination and it looks as if dad might just get you that new AR (get those grades).Rebecca showed the boys how it was done. Nathan was outstanding getting up and giving all of us some history,seems he is a direct descendant of Nathan Hale.

This was one my most memorable AS. Fun was had by all, Instructors included. I can't say enough about this group of patriots. Thank You All !
Esse Quam Videri (To be rather than seem to be)
Powder With My Brother Ball Most Hero Like Doth Conquer All,
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

alkeford

day one
Tomet Nosce
The Suda, a tenth century encyclopedia of Greek Knowledge, says: "the proverb is applied to those whose boasts exceed what they are,"and that "know thyself" is a warning to pay no attention to the opinion of the multitude.

alkeford

Day Two
Tomet Nosce

MustangAME2

Sly/Alke/Ben,

Thanks so much for your patience, diligence, and fortitude. Your dedication to this program is unparalleled, and I believe I speak for the entire group when I say we appreciate it. I'll 'do my best' to spread the word and enlighten other Americans of the program. In our scout troop, we try to reinforce the values you presented this weekend..."it's not about you." To quote Mark Owen (No Easy Day): "My hope is one day a young man in junior high school will read (this) and become a SEAL, or at least live a life bigger than him. If that happens, (this) book is a success."  The Appleseed Project makes American values somewhat tangible, and enlightens us all to what our forefathers endured for our freedom and how we're managing to destroy their dreams due to pure apathy.

Keep fighting the good fight.

With Respect,
Greg
"It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Sly223

Thank you, Tomblin & Alkeford
To all who attended you did great thank you!
I will post more later, Perfect weather & event in general!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

BrownBess

Sorry to have missed  such a great gathering of Patriots....
sounds as if a grand time was had by all, Huzzah......

DaddyFatty

Thanks again to the men who wore the hats. My children and I had a great time. My wife is very open to attending the next event with us. Per the discussion of the passive golf range finder: http://www.amazon.com/Scope-Digital-Range-Finder-Magnification/dp/B0098PNORE/ref=sr_1_10?s=golf&ie=UTF8&qid=1350332185&sr=1-10. I am ordering one and will give a full review after trying it out.

Once again, I forgot a camera. For those of us with equipment issues: Surprisingly enough, they don't fix themselves between events, no matter how long you leave them in their cases.

Fathers, can you think of a better protection for your daughter than for her to be able to truthfully say, "You know, I can engage a man or teenage boy sized target from 500 yards," in response to any unsolicited advances. In all seriousness, I have confidence in my son and daughter's ability to safely participate in future events due to the attention and instruction they received at this event.

Sly, I promise to bring a can of fix a flat to any future events I am attending.

-DF

djgio

Although I have been to several events, the historical lesson is always interesting.  I find that I learn something new every time.  This was the first event that I was actually able to shoot.  The others I have been to have been to be side-by-side with my son to help him through the positions, transitions and general rifle handling.  I hope that at the next shoot we will be able to be side-by-side practicing together the skills of the Rifleman in order to one day both earn the right to be called Rifleman.

Thanks to the instructors for their time, patience and enthusiasm.  It was very much appreciated.

Looking forward to the next time.

Dan

Sly223

My source will be in touch with me soon, concerning the dry firing of that rifle.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

PHenry

I attended my second event at Myakka in 2007 as a shooter. It was there that the shoot boss "Dragonwood" asked me if I ever considered instructing - rather off-hand - no big deal. I ate red pill and nevr looked back. There was a time in FL when I knew every instructor, because I was the SB for every event. I knew their name, level, and strengths, etc. Nothing happened in FL that I wasn't a part of.

Now, events happen without me nearly every weekend. There are new IITs coming on every month that I have yet to meet. It's like a blur. I could move to Alaska and the FL chapter wouldn't skip a beat thanks to a very dedicated and ever-expanding group of people. I could not have wished for more. Fred told me long ago that my goal was to replace myself - the goal of every Appleseeder.

We still have far to travel in order to get  the word out to any significant number of Americans, so that we can stop the "ship" from sinking, but we surely have a good start.  O0

Nicely done Sly, alkeford, and Tomblin. Great to see Nhale got time to attend as well!
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

MolonLavay

My sons and I truly loved our first AS! 

For Josh and Con this was the first time that they had ever fired a rifle.  They took the instruction seriously and drank deeply from the 'firehose' and began their education in marksmanship at a high level.

Thank you to Sly223, Alkeford and Tomblin for wearing the hats and providing information and instruction that is truly beyond value.  My youngest son told me after the first day that hearing about what happened on April 19, 1775 were his favorite moments.  My oldest son handily outscored me on the AQT on Sunday.  Job well done!

I am planning to bring my daughter Lauren to her 1st AS in December, also at Myakka.   Can't wait!

Keith

DaddyFatty

Since there isn't a tactical stock available for the 795, I decided to make one.

First, amazon has these slip on butt pads.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Combat-Butt-Pad/dp/B002TUSK06/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351563304&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=utc+47+butt

Next, I am working on a modification that will give you an adjustable cheek rest for under $10 that uses this rest and some hardware.

http://www.amazon.com/ATI-Universal-Fn-Fal-Cheekrest/dp/B002ZIVHMK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1351565281&sr=8-1&keywords=fn%2Ffal+universal+cheek+rest

I'll post pictures when I finish them.

-DF

CarterAppleseedFan

Another Great Appleseed.............  Max and I had a great time as always.   Look forward to the next one.   Will not be able to make December, because that is my busy season.    Max got a car instead of the AR.    Maybe when we attend next year I will have purchased one by then.   Found a decent deal on a Bushmaster.   I know I shoot better with every Appleseed and so does Max.    Made it to sharpshooter on this appleseed.   Maybe next time will be Rifleman.   
I want to Thank the 3 Instructor.    There did a great job.