News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bakersfield,CA. Sept 29-30, 2012 AAR

Started by Cal 7.62, October 03, 2012, 01:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cal 7.62

Bako 9.29-30.12 AAR
Despite the heat, what a wonderful weekend it was! Fist off, we had a great bunch of fellow Americans on the line this weekend. Everyone was attentive and safe.
Jess & Pablo were at the range before the instructors, chompin at the bit ready to get at it. Young Weston and his dad Paul (friends of Jess) also joined us with teachable attitudes.
Scott and Karen journeyed from Tehachapi to soak up some marksmanship skills as well as  heritage with us. Not wanting to be left out, Ty and Angela came out to share in the fun. I think Ty brought all his toys to try out! Returning riflemen Bob and his son-in-law Robert came back to test thier mettle against the AQT once again. Noah made the trip down from Lindsay for another shot at getting his rifleman patch. Last but not least lovely Lynn rounded out our group of patriots on this hot fall weekend.

After the intro and safety briefing it was time to fend off the dreaded redcoats. (targets that is) The redcoats told us it was time to turn on the firehose of instruction. Around this time we had to deal with various equipment issues. Just as Ty was getting his rifle (I forget which one, he brought so many) sighted in, the phillips tip on the screwdriver broke off inside the screw( and stuck there) taking that toy out of action.Then we got down to business and those groups started to shrink...
The outcome of the weekend? Fun was had by all, marksmanship improved, skills were learned, heritage was shared. Jess and Paul made Rifleman, Robert ("the patch collector") requalified for the 5th(?) time. Noah was oh so close to the magic 210. (Next time Noah, maybe in Visalia!) There were a few others getting close too. Many are already planning for their next "seed".
Hopefully we'll see you soon!

A few memorable moments-
On Sunday, right in the middle of Dangerous Old Men, a wind gust picked up one of the easy-ups and started flipping it over then started on another one and threatened two more.  Our quick thinking students all jumped into action and held them down. After that we decided to reposition them and stake them down.
Mark (tony stark) was called the "amazing" instructor!
Instructor David's (TheShaw) candy bar challange.
Jess's oatmeal cookies (Yumm)
Robert accepting the orange hat of destiny!
My grateful bro, Pete (gratefuldog) coming up to help out and riding his very cool motorcycle! Shoulda got a pic of that, darn.
Speaking of instructors, I wish to thank TheShaw, tony stark and gratefuldog for all their help, couldn't have done it without you guys!

I'm sure I left lots of stuff out, but that's what other people are for. Chime in please.

"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Cal 7.62

Pictures for your viewing!
"Let us therefore rely upon the goodness of the Cause, and the aid of the Supreme Being, in whose hands Victory is, to animate and encourage us to great and noble actions - The Eyes of all our countrymen are now upon us..." - George Washington

Cal 7.62

More pics.

Scottso

Speaking for myself (Scott) and my wife (Karen), we had an incredibly great time and learned a LOT.  Steve compared it to trying to sip from a fire hose and I have to agree!  However, as new shooters, both Karen and myself saw amazing improvements in group size and accuracy by the second day as we started to absorb the lessons.  Special thanks to Mark for working with Karen on Sunday to improve her groups about 1000%! It was like having a personal shooting coach and he's "amazing" indeed.  Mark obviously has a natural talent for teaching and was a whole lot of fun just to hang with (along with all the other instructors, Steve, David, and Peter.)  We're already signed up for November and practicing our butts off.  Hopefully there is a rifleman's badge for one or both of us next time.  Looking forward to spending two more days with the great instructors!

That covers the shooting, but I also found the history to be fascinating and inspiring.  If you are reading this and have never been to an Appleseed event I highly recommend you come out.   It's great fun, you'll definitely learn something, and how can you go wrong with two days of shooting with instructors who know what they are about? I wish I had some pictures to post, but I was too busy trying to work on my NPOA to take any!

TheShaw

It was a great appleseed, congratulations to all that got rifleman patch.
I allways have fun working with tony stark and cal 7.62 and thank you gratefuldog for helping out.
I hope to see everyone in November.