News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Springfield, OR Sept 22/23 - AAR

Started by Prescott, September 24, 2012, 03:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

We had a fantastic fall weekend for our largest event in Springfield, OR this year.    We have one more event at Emerald Empire Gun Club, this year, so please tell all your family and friends about Project Appleseed and lets fill up the shooting line.

I would like to thank all of the families that traveled from out of town to attend this event and I was also thrilled that we had families for the local area turn out for this event.

Jonathan, congratulations on shooting Rifleman on Saturday!   I hope you had fun trying to match the score with Yan's bolt action CZ on Sunday.   The bolt action rifle does make it more difficult to shoot the AQTs.  Also, remember to talk with your home school co-op about the Libertyseed, as we would love the opportunity to come tell the history to your group.   I am looking forward to your return in October and awarding an Orange hat to you.  It would be great if we had a couple instructors in the Eugene/Springfield area.

Caleb, keep practicing the steady hold factors and dry practicing with your dad at home.   If you do, the practice will show on your targets when you come back in October.

Spencer, thanks for bring the boys and Genevieve to the shoot this weekend.   I hope to see you all back in October and the family can continue to practice their marksmanship skills.

Robert and Matthew, it is always a pleasure seeing you guys again!  I will be looking at the sign up sheets, and will try to be at the event in October that you sign up for.   We will help coach Matthew to getting his rifleman's score before he turns 11.

Josh/Audrey, thanks for spending the weekend with us.  If you review the literature that you were sent home with and practice those techniques with dry fire practice at home, you can expect your skills to continue to improve.   Also, look into finding a stock that fits Audrey better than the factory Ruger stock, and that will help will make shooting in prone more comfortable.   The prone position is not totally comfortable for anyone, it is just a very stable shooting position and once you get it mastered, you will see your shot group size shrink very quickly.

"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

Audrey

Josh and I had a great time this weekend! It may not have been obvious, but I did have a lot of fun. I enjoyed learning about Appleseed marksmanship techniques, and just getting a chance to shoot more. I actually really enjoy learning about historical events, especially European and American history of the 18th and 19th centuries. Hearing your and Dave's recounts from the first days of the Revolutionary war extremely interesting. You're both incredible storytellers; your abilities to recall names, ranks, locations, timeframes, and geographical features shows a deep passion and respect for the topic - that shines through in your recounts.

A big THANK YOU to the Emerald Empire Gun Club. It was a great facility to shoot at; the site was clean and felt safe/private despite the proximity of other ranges. Josh and I really appreciate all of the instructors: Prescott, Dave, and Joni. You're each wonderfully patient, friendly, and helpful. The personal guidance we received will continue to be a help for us as we practice our AQTs (we ordered some Sunday evening from RWVA's store). We'll also be shooting some Red Coats we ordered, since we found that to be a lot of fun to shoot too!

Unfortunately we have had standing plans for October 27th for several weeks already. We will be going to a gun show November 6th or 7th to look for a better stock for me, and then hopefully show up at the Eagle Creek Appleseed event. Josh would love to make rifleman, and I'd be happy to as well! Dave mentioned a patch with icicles and doing some December Appleseed events; we are cold weather people (rain, snow, wind, ice, whatever!) so we'll be watching for those to appear on the calendar if it's feasible.

Joni

Here are the pictures of the Appleseed shoot in Springfield.

https://picasaweb.google.com/GretaStuff/2012092122_SpringfieldOR?authkey=Gv1sRgCJ3IicKH6p6mYQ

Please feel free to take any of these pictures you want.
Thanks,
Joni