News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bedford, IN September 15-16

Started by techres, September 17, 2012, 08:07:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

What an amazing weekend!

We had quite the crowd all working together in a tight line but moving like a team we had a success of a weekend.

The weather was perfect and all stayed hydrated as we moved through all the points of history and marksmanship and picked up 4 riflemen/women along the way.  Others came close and all showed tremendous improvement from where they began on a misty Saturday morning.

As always the food was superb, the visiting guests put to work, and the sound of laughing kids was heard in the low hills of Judah.

That is not to say we did not have challenges.  We crammed more bodies than ever on Chilidog's line and had to test everyone's patience in running relays during the AQT.  But even with that and a few equipment failures, all hung tight and got the job done.

Thanks go out to each of you students for the hard work you did as well as to the instructors who made the weekend possible.  And of course thanks to the Bedford crew for hosting another great seed.

I hope to see each of you again, and soon!

Techres

P.S. I will post some pictures but 99% of the bagillion I took were bad due to a smeared front lens that  I missed.  I strongly hope that Steve's huge camera got some non-blurry shots!
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Syd

AWESOME weekend!!! Congrats to all new riflemen/women! O0

Giggles

Thank you so much for the wonderful weekend! I had a BLAST and am currently signed up to go to the Cloverdale shoot at the end of Oct. and my hubby just signed up for his membership card. I had a fear of guns when I came to Appleseed, I was uncomfortable just handling them.....after this weekend I have full confidence, understanding, and respect for my firearm. I met some really nice people and am very thankful that Troy spoke to me and my hubby about going to this event..... I WANT RIFLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyhoo, thank you again for the event....OH you may want to add kleenex to the list of items to bring, because hearing about REAL heroes made me cry!!!!!

Crystal Stailey
~Crystal~

connibear

Man, i wish i knew it was going on, i would have came. I live in missouri, but visiting my parents here in indiana. My in-laws shot at the bald knob arkansas shoot, but i only watched. Now i think i have the apple fever and looking forward to the shoot in MO. come oct. Hope to shoot rifleman and do more with the appleseed project.
......"Where the spirit of the Lord is there is Liberty."    I Cor. 3:17b

A Nation that does not serve the Lord Jesus Christ cannot and does not have Liberty.

Pitmaster

Keep watching the schedule and plan those visits to coincide. I'm thinking about attending the Thanksgiving shoot in Missouri. My dad lives just south of Kansas City. I could make it a 3 day trip back here.
Pitmaster

Captain Noah Cook a Revolutionary War Veteran was my great, great, great,...great grandfather. Noah Cook enlisted in the militia on April 21, 1775 at age 18 upon learning of the Battles of Lexington and Concord that morning. His company left on that day for Concord arriving April 24, 1775.*

*History of Northampton, Massachusetts: from its settlement ..., Volume 2, Part 2, Chapter 25, Page 359

"The Second Amendment protects an individual right to possess a firearm unconnected with service in a militia, and to use that arm for traditionally lawful purposes, such as self-defense within the home." Antonin Scalia

�The test of a democracy is not whether the people vote, but whether the people rule.� G.K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Member

HICKMAN

John-Michael and I had a great time!  Had so much fun that we've already signed up for the Camp Atterbury shoot!

I learned a ton and now know how to practice. 

We LOVE Appleseed!

He's getting some personal instruction from Wright-Man

Then applying what he learned

Got his patch from Techres

Orangedotfever

Wow what a packed line this weekend. All the mats were touching from one end of the line to the other. Congrats to the 4 new riflemen, Jesse, Ben, Mathew and especially Rebecca (hope I spelled those right). Rebecca came to her second Appleseed with her wonderful family and had to start out cold with a loaner rifle. She listened, showed patience and finally nailed a great looking 219. Huzzah! Ben was just hogging out great groups all weekend, his tops being a 242!. Jesse had to keep one eye on his target and one on his sons. Great multi-tasking. Mathew, I'm sorry I didn't get to work with you much but you proved your mettle.

We were down 2 IIT's that were needed at Evansville and then down another on Sunday due to other obligations. Thankfully, SPQR and HQ showed up for a little while and helped take the pressure off. Chilidog and his blue hats are indispensable in what they do. Thanks guys.

Stagehand Steve came down from the North to raid Bedford and it was great to work with him. Slow2Speak and Uncle Davey took their first shots at public speaking by doing DOM and First Strike. I know you guys were nervous but you did fine. Good job guys, you're old hats now.

I looked very unpolished running the line for the first time but thanks for having me folks. See you on the trail.

Mitch
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Orangedotfever

Quote from: Giggles on September 17, 2012, 07:55:48 PM
Thank you so much for the wonderful weekend! I had a BLAST and am currently signed up to go to the Cloverdale shoot at the end of Oct. and my hubby just signed up for his membership card. I had a fear of guns when I came to Appleseed, I was uncomfortable just handling them.....after this weekend I have full confidence, understanding, and respect for my firearm. I met some really nice people and am very thankful that Troy spoke to me and my hubby about going to this event..... I WANT RIFLEMAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Anyhoo, thank you again for the event....OH you may want to add kleenex to the list of items to bring, because hearing about REAL heroes made me cry!!!!!

Crystal Stailey

Crystal, it was great working with you on Sunday. Switching to a scope really helped you out. It's too bad that we just couldn't get that beautiful Weatherby .22 to run reliably. You were great fun to be around and will get that patch soon. Hopefully, I'll be at Cloverdale to help see that you get it. Get that husband behind a rifle and in the mix next time.

Mitch
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

beautiful_dust

As always, Bedford Contingent put on a great weekend; the AppleCore (bosses,instructors and support), scenery, food (FRIED CHICKEN!) And positive happy shooters!

I didn't come away with Rifleman on tech sites but it was close enough to recount.  :slap: oh,,,darn,,,I guessing will have to go back and,,,,try again   ;)

Congratulations to Slow2Speak and Uncle Davey on their history lessons.     O0
and congratulations to all the new Riflewomen/Riflemen.  :---

New challenges, new skills, & new friends!
We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots. ~Charles F. Browne

The patriot blood of my father was warm in my veins.     ~Clara Barton

The American Revolution was a beginning not a consummation.
~ Woodrow Wilson

Know your past to know the future.

Giggles

Quote from: Orangedotfever on September 18, 2012, 01:43:06 AM

Crystal, it was great working with you on Sunday. Switching to a scope really helped you out. It's too bad that we just couldn't get that beautiful Weatherby .22 to run reliably. You were great fun to be around and will get that patch soon. Hopefully, I'll be at Cloverdale to help see that you get it. Get that husband behind a rifle and in the mix next time.

Mitch

Mitch!! Thank you for so so much for your help and instruction. Did i mention how awesome everyone was?? I think i did, but i will say it again! EVERYONE was AWESOME!  My hubster is signed up for the shoot in Cloverdale as well, I think he got tired of watching me have all the fun,lol. We are getting a new 22 and slapping the scope on it, the pretty weatherby is retired for now  ;) I think you can actually tell how EXCITED I am about going again...haha  ^:)^ I got....umm what's it called? Apple fever?
~Crystal~

Chilidog

Congradulations to all the new Rifleman and women! Congratulations to all the shooters for enduring a packed line and almost no safety issues! Several of our shooters were right on the edge of breaking the rifleman mark and with a little practice you will be there. What a great bunch of shooters we had this weekend. Thank you all for coming! We had a lot of spectators thoughout the weekend and it was great to see them too. I encourage all our shooters to go visit our other shoots in Nashville, Noblesville, Evansville or Cloverdale as they are just as impressive, only with out our tight quarters of a shooting line. They all have plenty of room to spread out since they have no BEANS!
WISH WE HAD MORE PICS!
See you at another Seed soon!
Chilidog
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

techres

Will have more pics up soon!

My camera had a smudged lens and most of the pics are garbage, but I have some that did come out ok. 

techres

Ok, got some pictures working!

Here's Chilidog keeping an eye on his end of the line.  Love having a range owner who will throw in on safety and instruction in addition to feeding us fried chicken.

Did I mention this was the first shoot we have had where we were mat to mat & shoulder to shoulder?

We did have some help parachute in to lend a hand.  Here is HQ carding sights instead of prepping for her wedding next weekend:

And SPQR lending support, or at least sling help: