News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Corona, CA, September 15-16, 2012

Started by Psych Doc, September 13, 2012, 12:44:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psych Doc

What a fantastic weekend! Tough conditions always seem to bring out the cream of the crop and this weekend was no exception. Despite triple digit heat, 19 enthusiastic shooters young and not so young joined us this weekend at Raahauge's range in Corona for a weekend of marksmanship and heritage. We had a good mix of new shooters as well as some old hands. It was also great to have several groups of family members that came out together on the line, including Mia and her dad Bob, as well as, no less than seven members of the Salanga clan, and brothers Pat and Carter. 

After the Saturday safety briefing, it was on to our first redcoat. While the scores overall were not too bad, we had a long way to go, if we were going to match the founders' in marksmanship. As we moved through the steady hold factors and six steps to firing the shot, all the shooters were getting on target and groups started to shrink. Though some were challenged with equipment difficulties early on, all showed steady progress. First time 'seeders, Harry and Anna showed clear and consistent progress. Kevin, our sole bolt-action shooter, and returning Appleseeder Bob, had some of the best groups that morning. Junior shooter Mia was consistently excellent as well. As was Juliette, who turned out to be a well known Appleseed Shoot Boss from Central California, who came to this shoot incognito to dial in her centerfire skills. Recognition is also in order for first time Appleseeders Kathy and Michael who both showed rapid improvement. As well as Earl and his children Alyssa, Dominic and Bella, and Earl's brother Ed and his children Sammie and Jack.  By the time we took a break for lunch, everyone was consistently on paper and many were showing solid groups and had learned to adjust their sights and scopes to zero their rifles.

The story of the three strikes inspired a number of comments from young and old alike. Several people commented that the story of the founding of our country is not often taught in schools these days. Ed who brought his children, Jack and Sammie, to Appleseed as part of their homeschooling in American History, is actively correcting this problem in his family. Ditto for the other parents that brought their youngsters out this weekend. Well done!  They are the future. 

Following lunch, we learned how to shoot from sitting and standing positions. Then it was time to test our skills with an AQT. A number of shooters had good results with many scores above 125. Returning junior shooter, Mia, requalified as a rifleman, demonstrating her skill with a 214. Well done! Solid progress was also evident in the groups shot by Ryan, Harry, Anna and Daniel. Despite fatigue setting in from the heat, the final Saturday redcoat showed a lot of improvement. 

At the end of the day, junior shooters Sammie, Jack, Mia, Bella, Dominic and Alyssa were awarded the Luther Blanchard patch for their hard work and perseverance.

The heat and other commitments reduced our numbers on Sunday morning but our numbers were bolstered by brothers Pat and Carter, both first-time Appleseeders. The morning redcoats showed notable improvement since Saturday, but we still had work to do.

We moved steadily through the morning review and group sizes continued to shrink.  Our first AQT of the day showed several shooters with striking distance of a patch.   

Lunch brought the history of our country and the sacrifices and choices of the founders into focus with stories of the dangerous old men, dangerous dames and courageous kids of the founding generation.

After lunch it was time for more AQT's. As the afternoon progressed, many shooters were showing their mettle with scores in the Marksman and Sharpshooter ranges. The heat and blowing dust made it tough going, but all persevered. Unbeknownst to Bob, he immediately earned a long sought after Rifleman patch with a solid 213. However, the tight-lipped Shoot Boss concealed this from him until our closing ceremony.

Three cheers for our newest rifleman, Bob, Huzzah! Huzzah! Huzzah!  O0

Throughout the day, Pat, Carter and Ed overcame some substantial equipment challenges and showed a lot of improvement in their groups. A little more practice, and some fine tuning on the equipment, and they will all be in the hunt for a patch. Mia also again requalified with an outstanding 224. Junior shooters Jack and Sammie also did very well until fatigue caught up with them late in the day.

We took some time off from the AQT grind to repel an invasion attempt by an aliens bent on enslaving us all. Luckily for us, the aliens made the mistakes of choosing disguise themselves as various types of reactive targets and beginning their invasion downrange at an Appleseed event. The shooters proved that the American tradition of marksmanship is alive and well, leaving no target untouched, and liberty was preserved. 

The weary but willing shooters showed that they had learned their lessons well and put some serious hurt on their final redcoats. Way to go!

After a patch ceremony recognizing our new rifleman, we acknowledged junior shooter, Carter, with a Luther Blanchard award.  We ended the day with reminders about the price paid for our liberty and the need for our generation to preserve it for future Americans.

Thanks to all for coming out and sharing some heritage and marksmanship with us. Thanks for being safe, and I hope to see you all again soon!

All the best,
Robert (Psych Doc)

P.S. Daniel, be sure to let me know when you shoot your score. I have an Orange Hat waiting for you!

rrhartley

rrhartley

Psych Doc said it all. The juniors were fantastic when it came to safety and perseverance. It was a pleasure to watch Mia and Bob drill throughout the day. it was one AQT after another. Mia even improved on her score from the day before. When I went to clean my loaner 10-22 it was the dirtiest I have seen yet. The blowing dust has a way of finding every nook and cranny. Here are some of my favorite pictures.

SoulMan

Once again a pleasure to work with PsychDoc and rrhartley at Corona (sandstorms notwithstanding).

I was very impressed with the caliber of patriots who braved the elements on Sunday. It was obvious from the maturity, discipline and determination of the youngsters that Ed and Bob are helping to raise a new generation of Sons and Daughters of Liberty.

I also want to commend longtime shooters Pat and Carter for their outstanding teachability and eagerness to discard old habits and learn the fundamentals from the ground up. It wasn't until we finally got their equipment squared away that the targets began to fairly reflect their hard work with some impressive groups. Some dry practice between now and the next Appleseed is sure to put them both in the hunt for a rifleman patch!

See you on the trail!
The 1st and 2nd Amendments capture the spirit of the Constitution; the 9th and 10th, its soul.

CH Bob

Thanks to our wonderful instructors for a weekend full of great teaching, stories, and shooting.

Robert, Pat, Norm, Rick, Cam, (Juliette), and Joel, thank you for coming out, sharing your knowledge, and helping us along the road of rifle marksmanship, and remembering our American Heritage.  Thanks to Raahauge's for keeping a great range open for our use.

"Man it's hot. It's like Africa hot. Tarzan couldn't take this kind of hot."
"Yeah man, but it's a dry heat!"
The heat was definitely a factor, but our instructors kept reminding us to "DRINK WATER!!" so that helped.  Except when Private Drinkwater came running up to SoulMan.  "SIR, YES SIR!!!"

The Alien Invasion on Sunday was a great way to break up the afternoon stress of multiple AQTs, yet keep us working on shooting.  Too bad that one golf ball got away over the berm.

Mia had a great time, she (unofficially) qualified on 4 of the 5 AQTs Sunday.  I know who my chosen sniper is.  Her goal is still to completely clear the Redcoat.  And thanks for sharing snacks everyone!!

We will be back, with others in tow.

Oh, and I found my keys!!!  Thanks for searching everyone.

Bob (& Mia)

Psych Doc

Bob,

I am glad those keys turned up!

Thanks for coming out and setting a great example of persistence in earning your patch. And thanks for doing such a great job introducing, sniper extraordinaire, Mia, to our heritage. The kids are America's future!  Hope to see you both again soon.

All the best,
Robert

CH Bob

Forgot to congratulate Norm on receiving his RED HAT on Saturday.  Congratulations StormN!!!

Bob

Johnnyappleseed

Good work folks ,the founders are smiling with your efforts  O0

congratulations Norm on earning the your Red Hat  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

StormN

CHECK OUT SOME MORE PHOTOS!
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.
Thomas Jefferson