News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Full Distance Range in Laredo, TX

Started by Green Bean, September 12, 2012, 10:43:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Green Bean

With recent threads on KD I thought I might post a few pictures from a club down here in Laredo, TX.  There is a covered 25/50yrd range with 20 shooting positions, a 100 yrd range, a 200yrd range and a 500 yard range.  The 500 yard range has a long covered firing line with berms from 100-500.

I have been in contact with the club concerning bring AS to Laredo, TX.  I will be meeting with Scout soon to talk about how to go about getting it started. Dragit and Two Wolves have also been giving me advise.   

The two things I need to get things moving is a proposal letter for the Board of Directors (BOD) requesting access to the range and the fee required to use the range for a class.  After speaking with one ofmthe members of the BOD the range fee should be about $100 a day and $5 for each non-member shooter. The range is also a non-profit organization managed and operated by volunteers. Maybe a convincing proposal letter will help keep the fees down. 

If anyone has prepared a proposal letter for a BOD your help would be appreciated.  Once I/we get that out of the way and our foot in the door, I will hit the local gun stores to look for a sponsor.  Not sure how fast the BOD moves down here. I was also told by the club that weekends fill up quickly with CHL classes and to plan far enough in advance to get space on the line.  Maybe if I/we start now maybe we could get something going by next year.

Here are a few pictures of the range:

Laredo Rifle and Pistol Club
http://laredorifleandpistolclub.org/

Copied from their website:

"CHL Instructor class fees:
$100 per class/day
$5 per non-member student.

Other non-CHL classes:
$100 per class/day
$30 per student.

All instructors must comply with the following.

1.Be active member of the LRPC. (Hopefully I count)
2.Must present proof of $1,000,000.00 Instructor plus liability coverage to which the club and Webb County are an add on to the policy prior to class.
3.Schedule training so that it does not conflict with club activities.
4.Students must leave range when instructor leaves range facilities if not LRPC members.
6.Describe in writing what type of class they propose to have at the range. For non-CHL class.

For further information please email: lrpcnewsletter@gmail.com"

ItsanSKS

Green Bean-

That looks like a fantastic facility!

I would very carefully consider the following, as it may be a potential pitfall:

$100 per class/day

Other non-CHL classes:
$100 per class/day
$30 per student.

What that means is that Appleseed pays $200 up front for the use of the range, PLUS we have to pay a per-shooter fee?  Believe me, that can get out of hand, real fast.  Been there, done that.

It is best to have the range donated for Appleseed's use; It's OKAY to have a flat-rate of X dollars per shooter.  Third best is a flat rate for range rental. 
Range rental fee + per shooter fee can get silly, and leave us trying to pay X $ when we only received Y in range fees. 
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Green Bean

Is there a normal/reasonable fee for per day or per shooter?  I have spoken with people from the BOD and they are worried about fees and how much space we will take up. 

Quote from: ItsanSKS on September 13, 2012, 12:26:58 AM
Green Bean-

That looks like a fantastic facility!

I would very carefully consider the following, as it may be a potential pitfall:

$100 per class/day

Other non-CHL classes:
$100 per class/day
$30 per student.

What that means is that Appleseed pays $200 up front for the use of the range, PLUS we have to pay a per-shooter fee?  Believe me, that can get out of hand, real fast.  Been there, done that.

It is best to have the range donated for Appleseed's use; It's OKAY to have a flat-rate of X dollars per shooter.  Third best is a flat rate for range rental. 
Range rental fee + per shooter fee can get silly, and leave us trying to pay X $ when we only received Y in range fees.

ItsanSKS

When it comes to what is considered a 'reasonable range fee', there are many different opinions.  What it boils down to is what would be considered 'reasonable' in your area... Paying $20/person/day is okay in some areas, while $10/person/day is too much in others... 

Before getting into the nuts and bolts ($$$) discussion of bringing Appleseed to that range, lets get some input from Scout or other Texas-based instructors.  I certainly don't want to lead you astray, or give you advice that would be counterproductive due to local differences.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

floydf

DFW area ranges charge $30 for the weekend per person, with some breaks for single day or families at some of the ranges.

And we get lots of push back.

Cost for family of three is $75 + $10 + $5 = $90 for the RWVA fees, $40 for ammo, and $90 for range fees.  If Dad attends (and lots of time, he doesn't).  Then, it's $15 for RWVA, $30 for ammo, and $60 for range fees.

It really depends on how many rimfire shooters and how many families there are.  When I ran McKinney last may, even though the range allowed centerfire, everyone shot rimfire, and there were a couple of families of 4 that had to fork over $120 for range fees, and you could tell it hurt for some of them.

This is Dallas, where dollars run like water: I expect that $30 for the weekend in Laredo would really be pushing the envelope.

Quote from: ItsanSKS on September 13, 2012, 05:41:32 AM
When it comes to what is considered a 'reasonable range fee', there are many different opinions.  What it boils down to is what would be considered 'reasonable' in your area... Paying $20/person/day is okay in some areas, while $10/person/day is too much in others... 

Before getting into the nuts and bolts ($$$) discussion of bringing Appleseed to that range, lets get some input from Scout or other Texas-based instructors.  I certainly don't want to lead you astray, or give you advice that would be counterproductive due to local differences.

-ItsanSKS
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer