News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL Sept. 8-9, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, September 11, 2012, 09:12:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Sometimes things turn out better than you ever could have imagined. Such was the case for the Appleseed in St. Augustine on Sep. 8-9. The forecast was for rain the entire weekend, the range was already a muddy mess, we had 28 target backers for an expected 30+ shooters, and it was most certainly Florida hot and buggy. On Saturday morning the rain held off and a very enthusiastic group of 25 men, women, and children set out to learn the fine tradition of rifle marksmanship. I could not have asked for a better group of students or a better bunch of fellow instructors. Even with a late start we were able to shoot two AQT's by the end of a brutally steamy day with everyone and everything coated in good old fashioned mud. One new Rifleman was revealed and we had one who re-qualified, showing that once you have it, well, you have it.

Sunday began with a wake-up call in the early hours of driving rain but by the time the shoot actually started, the rain had quit, not that anything was any drier for it. Thirteen brave patriots came out for a second round of soggy shooting and we quickly were off to the races. Before lunchtime we had reviewed all of the points of instruction, done a few sight-in targets, and shot at least one AQT. The afternoon was a blur of AQT's, both rapid fire and the conventional single stage variety and new Riflemen were being revealed with amazing rapidity. I think we had a total of six (!) new Riflemen by the end of the weekend. Even in those shooters who did not quite make the score, vast improvement was seen and as a group, these folks were truly exceptional. After I confer with my other instructors, I will list all of our newest Riflemen (and women) in a followup report. Now, if someone can offer a suggestion on how to get name tags to stay affixed in the conditions we experienced, please speak up! More later...
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

Here are the pitifully few photos I took. If you have pics, please feel free to share them.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Riflemama

I just want to say the high still has not left me! To be able to spend the weekend with my son learning new skills was an amazing experience. I continue to be blown away at how smart, generous, patient, and funny the teachers we had were. I cannot express my gratitude enough! I have some pictures on my iphone that I probably wont have time to post until Friday. I just had to say thank you again to all of you- especially a true role model for us ladies- Grandma Rambo!

smoakingun

What a tough weekend. What a tough bunch of shooters. Saturday, the misery index was over 100, the suck meter was pegged. Students were rolling in puddles of their own sweat. I think a pair of mosquitoes carried off a small child. Even the mighty shoot boss had to retreat from the line to his truck to recuperate from the heat. The students persisted, and to reward the instructors, the rifleman gods revealed the first of our riflemen.
Krista, you did well, you were ready to call it quits mid-day Sunday, but you persisted and showed much improvement, I hope to see you back next time. ~~:)
Children, you honored your parents this weekend. We had ZERO discipline, whining, or safety issues with any of you. Your parents should be proud. ^:)^
Shoot boss, you were having a tough time Saturday, but you took a short break and came back to the line and got back to work. I'm proud of you for not being a wussy. O0
I really wish we had a better way of tagging students in the rain, because I have forgotten most of the students names because they did not have tags most of the weekend, sorry guys. :'(
All in all though, to all the students, thanks for a great shoot
A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks.

Thomas Jefferson

9mm4545

After conferring with the other instructors, I believe the people who either shot Rifleman for the first time (or re-qualified) were:
Daniel, Cheri, Doug, Tony, John, Jeremy, Duane, Joe, and Bert. If I have missed anyone, please speak up as this is an accomplishment to be proud of and should be recognized as the cumulation of a lot of hard work. Congratulations! This represents the most Riflemen that I have personally seen come from a single Appleseed event and is OUTSTANDING!  ^:)^

Prof. C.J.

A mighty "HUZZAH" to all of the shooters for their grit, pluck & determination in overcoming the adverse conditions, and an additional "HUZZAH" to all of those who shot Rifleman!  Sorry I could not attend on Sunday to personally congratulate you folks, but I must say I was very impressed with everyone's performance & improvement that I witnessed on Saturday.  It sure is fun and easy to be an instructor with such a group of shooters as we had!
"I believe that it is better to tell the truth than to lie. I believe
that it is better to be free than to be a slave. And I believe that
it is better to know than to be ignorant." – H.L. Mencken

ToneDef

Thanks, Shoot Boss for the recognition in your prior post! I was immensely proud to shoot The Score, especially since I was really starting to get frustrated! :wb: But you and FLawyer whipped ~~:) me into shape and encouraged me to try just one more time. With that I came back after lunch determined to knock it out of the park. The Rapid-Fire AQT is definitely my friend! :~ I was so proud to get that patch!  :cool2: Thanks again to 9mm4545, smoakingun, rambogranny, flawyer and all the other instructors assisting us! You guys are awesome! I'm looking forward to my next Appleseed! ;D
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

Gray Man

What a great (and soggy) time we had in St. Augustine.  More shooters than we had cover for - but we made them all fit.  Saturday was HOT - just right for the infamous "InfernoSeed" rifleman patch for those that could make the grade. The attitude of every shooter was incredible given the circumstances.  If the heat wasn't enough of a discouragement the downpour's of rain should have been enough to send the most hardened armchair warrior packing.  Not so these shooters!  I really enjoyed working with as many of them as I could.  9mm4545 and FLawyer kept things moving and put on a great shoot.  Thanks guys for your dedication. 

Isabela - You were showing great progress Saturday.  I'm sorry you got ill Saturday night and didn't make it out Sunday.  Your dad made rifleman (yea!) Saturday and I'm sure he can help you at home.  I look forward to seeing you at another Appleseed in the near future so you can get your very own patch. 

I've posted some pictures at the Flickr website and the link is below.  There are about 40 of them for your enjoyment.

http://flic.kr/s/aHsjC5oZXS

Riflemama

Here are a few pics I took.

Riflemama

Sorry not very good at this

Riflemama

Hey GrayMan! Thanks for posting the pics! I have been putting the word out hope to have a big crew for the shoot in December!

R1SGx2

What's the weather got to do with it, lets roll,,,,,,

Nice work by all, great photo's.

Thanks all for all you do...
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Joe-NFlorida

Just got a membership and joined the forum.

Big thankyou to all of the instructors for all of your help. I am sure glad there is a Rapid Fire AQT, strangely enough, it is the only way I have time enough to complete the transitions (being old sucks, but it is better than the alternative!).  So success came late in the week end, but was welcome all the same.

I found that I inherited an extra staple gun that was handed to me late on Sunday (looks just like mine). It is an Arrow Fastener Co model T-50.  I will bring it next time I come to a shoot (probably Nov 3 at Gainesville, or Dec 8 in St Augustine).

Keep shootin'

ToneDef

Does anyone have the photo of me getting my patch? It was taken about mid-day Sunday, right after lunch. I think FLawyer took it...
"Freedom had been hunted round the globe; reason was considered as rebellion; and the slavery of fear had made men afraid to think. But such is the irresistible nature of truth, that all it asks, and all it wants, is the liberty of appearing." - Thomas Paine, Rights of Man, 1791

"There's the country of America, which you have to defend, but there's also the IDEA of America. America is more than just a country, it's an idea. An idea that's supposed to be contagious." - Bono

Palatka ten twelve "Smoakin' IBC"

FLawyer

These pictures show the conditions at the time the shooters arrived on Saturday morning.
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

More "pre" pictures.  Did anybody mention that while all the shooters were in the same area, that we had two separate target areas?
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

Now the pictures that everyone wants to see - all the Riflemen and Riflewomen (that I was able to photograph anway).

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

Oops,  I left out one Rifleman picture...  :-)

Molon Labe!

BertK

Just want to echo the positive comments about the attitudes of all involved in the St Augustine shoot.  It was truly refreshing.  And thank you instructrors for your wonderful recounts of American history- pretty darn cool.  It was one one of the best times I have had getting muddy and soaked to the bone.