News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hopewell Junction, NY - Sept. 8 & 9 2012

Started by Another D.O.M., September 11, 2012, 08:26:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

It is always a pleasure working an Appleseed at Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club in Hopewell Junction.  Club members are very supportive of the RWVA; and we get folks on the line from many corners of New York state.

We experienced a mixed bag of weather for the event, keeping students and instructors alike on their toes.  Unfortunately, the extreme of weather on Saturday afternoon forced an early end to the day due to reports of severe weather heading our way.  However, everyone returned bright and early on Sunday and we made up for the lost time quickly.

Thank you to our students for setting aside other responsibilities to attend this Appleseed event.  Thank you to our instructors - LittleMo, The Mrs., Dude & Karis-Wheel - for spending another weekend helping to remind this group of Americans of the sacrifices made so many years ago to bring our great nation into being.  And thank you to the host range, Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club, for allowing us to continue spreading our program of History, Heritage and Rifle Marksmanship throughout our country.

The highlight of the weekend that stands out most for me is Shawn bringing his son Jonathan to the event to share in the fellowship, instruction and American history.  Jonathan was firing his Daisy Model 1938 at 10 yards and had a blast.  He stuck out the whole weekend, even participating in one or two of the AQTs we shot.  Jonathan went home with a big smile, a head full of history, and a sizeable collection of once-fired shell casings.  At one point on Sunday afternoon Jonathan came up to me and stated, "I found a full one." as he placed an unfired .22 LR round in my hand that he had found half-burried on the range.  This young man will be a top-notch firearms instructor and RSO one day.  Thank you, dad, for including your son in this weekend!

Oh, and someone told me that one sttendee shot a 249 on Sunday afternoon.  They referred to him as Gunny...
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

R1SGx2

Looking forward to seeing pictures, sounds like this was a very good weekend,

Jonathan, thanx for bringing your dad, hope you were able to teach him a few things.

To Whortlekill Rod & Gun Club , thank you for supporting Appleseed.

Quotesomeone told me that one attendee shot a 249 on Sunday afternoon.  They referred to him a Gunny
Gunny, what are we going to do with you,,,, Hope I am there the day 250 comes home with you,,,,,

To all the shooters, thank you and remember to dry fire; to A/DOM and LittleMo, The Mrs., Dude & Karis-Wheel, nice job,,,,
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Dude

Another AWESOME shoot is in the books. Whortlekill is a great place and has been great to Appleseed. We truly appreciate their support. [AND the venison chili!]  ;D

Previously we've had rainy days and hot days, but THIS time, we had the rain and the heat on and off on the SAME day. Saturday was definitely interesting, weather wise! Including, of course, tornado warnings, forcing an early shut down, and tearing down our target backers. BUT, Appleseeders adapt and improvise!

I didn't really think we would get caught up Sunday, but under the expertise of Shoot Boss A/DOM, we sure did.   :bow: Mark is a tremendous asset to the program. Include in that The Mrs and Little Mo, a great couple that puts Appleseed at the top of their priority list, and it shows in their instructing skills. And, may I add what a pleasure it is to watch Karis-Wheel move up through the instructor program, improving her instructing skills and becoming at ease in her role. What  a Line Boss! [OK, that's a proud father talking, too, but she is indeed doing a great job.]  ;D

Shooters- we thank you for your attention and your dedication, learning and shooting through the rain and the heat. Keep at it, dry fire [except for Gunny with those titanium parts.  :cool2: ] , and come back for another shoot.  Everyone saw improvement in their groups and scores, and that can and will continue on your way to achieving those rifleman scores.

And that young man with that Daisy? I can't remember when I've seen a youngster hang in as well as he did! Amazing! GREAT JOB JON!  O0
Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

The Mrs.

What a great weekend!!  Mother Nature threw almost everything she could on this great group of Americans...heat, humidity, downpours, a bit of thunder in the distance at one point and morning cool and dampness.  But our shooters adjusted, adapted and persevered!!

It was so great to see folks groups shrink and shrink.  We had a number of shooters with brand spankin' new 10/22's without studs to put slings on.  They persevered anyway and watched their groups shrink, even with the handicap of no sling.  I am sure the next time we see them they will have their rifles tricked out and will shoot even better!!  I am sure we have many future Riflemen.

As for that 249, I'm a witness.  There was nothing more than a hair that seperated Gunny from that illusive 250!!  But a hair is a hair.  It's always great to see him on the line, and I know he will continue to chase that perfect score.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

The Mrs.

Sorry for the delay in getting these out.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Another D.O.M.

"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore