News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chambersburg, PA Sept 8, 9 2012

Started by tatical308, September 10, 2012, 05:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tatical308

Another shoot in the books for Chambersburg, PA. With 12 shooters on the line, it was a nice shoot for Chambersburg. The shooters were very enthusiastic and wanting to learn both the rifle marksmanship and HISTORY.  I think they enjoyed the history more. One of the Juniors (Mari) is an aspiring history teacher and we gave her a taste of what it would be like assigning the flags descriptions to her.
Chainsaw was a big help working as my instructor. bharbaugh worked as our Applecore doing admin and did a superb job.
We had a rifleman score of 227 on Sunday congratulations to Dan who promises to take the instructor challenge.
I hope all went home safely and will bring a friend or 2 or 3 next shoot.
The downpour did not dampen any spirits on Sat but did make Chainsaws voice hurt from the yelling trying to be heard over the rain telling the 3rd strike. We all stayed dry under the covered range except Chainsaw's range box that filled with rain everywhere inside.
I have a couple pics to post later. Feel free to add to the thread and post yuour pics too!!
Tatical308
Aim small, miss small!

skywalker2of5

OK I was there, on Saturday, but my age failed me on Sunday, need more exercise to be able to shoot that long, that be said I see Dan the guy who shot next to me made rifleman, he was shooting good groups all day long and I'm not suprised. Thanks to Greg, Tom and Becky for a great time and all the shooters who came.
Pictures posted.
Bruce Walker
Skywalker2of5

Old Griz

My 13 yr old daughter Mari got her first rifle (10/22) this summer and has been in love with shooting since...
I found out about Appleseed and showed her the information...
She immediately checked the family calendar and announced it free and asked if I would take her to the event...
How could I refuse..
The cost for her was only $5.00 and that included an Appleseed Tshirt.. we purchased an additional shirt and a patch for a whopping $15.00 to help offset the cost of running the event... I would have gladly given that money and not gotten anything to support them... the event was that good...
Before the event I had her shooting her gun with Williams WGOS peep sights at 25 meters off the bench and in the prone and offhand positions... she was on target and pretty well prepared (we thought )
The event ran from 8:30AM to 5PM both days rain or shine... and let me tell you on Saturday and Sunday afternoon we had a horrific rain storm (about 30-45 min) so bad they you could barely here the instructor give his history lesson under the covered shooting range. It sounded like someone pouring buckets of BBs on a tin roof... but all went well despite the rain...
There were 11 shooters present ranging from a little younger than my daughter to probably about mid 60s... 3 females and the rest men... all very friendly and willing to help each other.
The two instructors Tom and Greg could not have been any better of more caring and intense as to what had to be done and making sure all the shooters tried to rise from cook to Rifleman and still had a lot of fun doing it...
They started off with a safety lesson each morning before guns were allowed on the range...
During the course of instruction the shooters really got to learn the mechanics of their rifles, i.e. quick magazine changes, clearing and safeing the gun, etc... The also learned the basic shooting positions of a rifleman... prone, sitting, kneeling and offhand and how to transition from offhand to each of the other positions as needed.
For instance they might have 2 magazines loaded (one with 2 rounds and the other with 8 rounds) on the ground next to their shooting mat... they would then have to transition from the offhand position to sitting positions and load the 2 round mag and shoot at one target, change mags shoot 3 more rounds at the first target, wiggle into their new natural point of aim and fire the remaining 5 rounds at the second target and do this within 55 seconds...
As one of the instructors said it is like they were doing 2 days of calisthenics.
My daughter came home tired and sore both days and would not quit... in fact she is already making plans to do this again next year...
One shooter managed to shoot a Rifleman score and the instructors told us that generally maybe only 10% of the shooters attending manage to do that... My daughter says next year is her time.. until then I have her carrying the cooking supplies
The history lessons and stories that went along with the shooting during breaks were fantastic and very interesting. My daughter intends to be a history teacher and the instructor had her teach the lesson on the different Rev War flags that were hanging behind the shooters.... she loved every minute of it... She also got to fire tactical308's flintlock....
Would I recommend this to anyone...
MOST DEFINITELY.... I WOULD RECOMMEND THIS TO EVERYONE... You don't need ot be a history buff, just love shooting... and I don't care how long you have been shooting.. you will learn something.... I did and was just listening to what was going on...
I am disabled and I know I could not get into the positions they teach.. I was told not to worry, even if I needed to shoot from the bench they would accommodate me.
So maybe next time I will show my daughter what the old man can do.....

Here is video link to Mari doing some of the history lesson and firing the flintlock
http://www.myfavoritepen.com/Media/Mari_2.avi
Tom
A veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'
That is Honor, and there are way too many people in This country who no longer understand it.

steel6whiskey

Dan here, ok, I finally signed up! I had a TERRIFIC time and have told a lot of my friends about it. A few are interested in trying it out next year! I have to get my forms back to Chainsaw yet. This past week has been a nightmare but I'll get them back on Sunday.