News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Buckeye, Arizona - Sept. 8-9, 2012

Started by azmule, September 10, 2012, 12:44:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

Arizona's first post-monsoon Appleseed began with 8 eager shooters on Saturday morning, half of them under 21.  After a quick introduction of ourselves and the program, followed by a thorough safety briefing, we hit the line for the first Redcoat target of the day - which showed room for improvement, with one shooter clearing the 300m target, two clearing the 200, and two clearing the 100.

The morning literally flew by as we covered and practiced the proper use of a sling, steady hold factors of the prone position, the six steps of firing the shot, natural point of aim, inches/minutes/clicks, and riflemen's nest/mag-swap.

Lunch included a discussion of events leading up to the Revolutionary War, Paul Revere's Ride, the engagements on Lexington Green and at Concord's North Bridge, and the ensuing battle all the way back to Boston.

Post-lunch, instruction continued with a discussion of the materials in the handout packets, steady hold factors and NPOA shifts of the sitting, kneeling, and standing positions, carding the sights, and transitions.  We'd been seeing a good deal of improvement throughout the day by the time we were ready for the first AQT of the weekend, and came close - so close - to a Rifleman score on Saturday.  Stephen scored a 208 (or was it 209?) and would have had it if we could replace the .30 cal rule with a .32 cal rule.  I truly felt bad about not "bending" the rules just a little to squeeze that one in, but I was confident that he was equipped to make it soon enough without having to do so.

The Saturday afternoon Redcoat showed improvement - one shooter cleared 400 (actually, the whole sheet), two clearing 300, one each for 200 and 100, and one new member of Morgan's Rifle Company.

Sunday saw us as a smaller group of four shooters, and after a quick review and some warm-up/sight-in squares, we started in on more AQTs, with Jose (senior) earning a Rifleman Patch right before lunch.  Huzzah!  Although storm clouds threatened late Sunday morning, we fortunately didn't see any weather worse than a light sprinkle and some gusty wind.

Lunch included stories of David Lamson and the old men of Menotomy, Mother Batherick, Samuel Whittemore, Hezekiah Wyman, and Elizabeth Zane, and also discussion of applying what we'd been practicing out to 500 meters.

The afternoon AQTs revealed Douglas as our next Rifleman - Huzzah!  He even elected to stay after the other shooters had to leave, to continue to work on points that he wanted to improve.

All in all this was a fun and rewarding Appleseed - for the instructors definitely, and based on the feedback, for the shooters as well!  I hope to see you all again!

All Buckeye shooters please post here...  impressions, pictures, discussion, questions, suggestions, etc.

O0
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

PaxxAZ

Will get more copies of these same moments up as soon as I am back home in front of my computer. For now the best pics, as they appear on my phone.
of Jose A. And Doug. Our two newest Riflemen from Buckeye. It was great having you and your Families on the Line.

-Pablo
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

Coyotl

This was my first Appleseed. I wasn't sure what to expect but I signed myself and my older son up. Both of`us had a blast! On`day 2 my younger son Alex showed up and Scott did a little 1 on 1 training with him. I'm definitely planning on attending the Marana shoot, hopefully with both kids.
"I said I never had much use for one (pistol). Never said I didn't know how to use it." -Matthew Quigley

Coyotl

Here are a few more pics.
"I said I never had much use for one (pistol). Never said I didn't know how to use it." -Matthew Quigley