News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

TechShop in Austin

Started by technoronin, September 09, 2012, 12:26:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

technoronin

TechShop is opening a location in the Austin area (actually Round Rock).  For those who haven't heard of them, it's a "Maker Space".  They have a machine shop, woodworking shop, welding shop, paint shop and other things.  It's a membership place where you get access to about a million dollars worth of tools, including CNC mills, water cutters, laser cutters, etc.

The reason I'm posting it here is that I asked the CEO about doing any gunsmithing and he was very clear that as long as it was legal and safe, it was fine.  He did say that he would prefer that ammunition be left outside.  So for those folks who do various sorts of high end gunsmithing, this is a place you could go to make all sorts of custom AR parts.  I will also add my opinion that if you have a CHL, it's probably very bad form to pull out the piece you are carrying to work on.

They will be opening in the next couple of months and for at least a little while now there is a special where you can get an annual membership (good at any of their locations) for half price with the promo code "Keep Austin Weird".  Go to techshop.ws

I've joined and on my list of things I would like to do is making some custom 10/22 stocks.  If I can find or create the solid models that could then be modified for LOP or thumbhole location, size & shape, it would be an easy task to cut out the laminates on a CNC router and glue them up myself.  I think it sounds like an interesting project that could be of use to others.

I also think this would be another good place to get the word out about the Appleseed Project.  There will be lots of bright, interesting people there who may be receptive to learning more.