News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rifleman Boot Camp, Ramseur, NC, August 26-September 3

Started by Shep, September 07, 2012, 09:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shep

Ramseur Rifleman Boot Camp 8/12

The Ramseur Boot Camp really lived up to all my expectations.  Wildman was there the day before and helped the early arrivals get set up with camping spots.  The instructors were beyond great; Lawrence, Ben (Ramblin' Wreck) and Adam were awesome teachers. Patrick (Sad Man) went back and forth between participant and instructor, and told the story of the first strike with the added pressure of speaking before not only the other 14 participants, but also Appleseed's founding father, Fred.

And what a great group of people at the Boot Camp!  Such a variety of people, but all with similar interests.  The range of experience went from Todd of Wisconsin, who had never fired a rifle, but was able put the training to good use and earned his Rifleman's patch, to Patricia from Ohio, who shot competitively in National matches and never shot less than a Rifleman's score. Ron, (Green Bean) from Texas, told us a little about the challenges of life on the border. Former Navy Master Chief, Joseph was a fountain of information on a topics ranging from history to physics and always had a joke to help lighten the mood. 

The instruction was superb through the week, digging much deeper into the mechanics of firing the shot, estimating distance and ballistics.  The history was more in depth as well; with a week to cover everything we didn't need to rush through. 

The Known Distance range was my favorite; shooting AQT's at their actual distances with center fire rifles really challenged us to put our earlier training to use. Calculating bullet drop before shooting each stage added another element into the picture.  Six shooters earned their Long Range rifleman's rocker. Shooting the steel targets after the AQT's at ranges up to 438 yards was just icing on the cake!

Following the boot camp was a three-day Appleseed that attracted about thirty shooters. This allowed some of us newer orange hats to get a lot of experience. I was mostly impressed with the number of young people in attendance; the youngest was a 10-year-old girl that took her shooting very seriously and stuck with it throughout the hot afternoons.

I was surprised how quickly the days flew by, I was at Ramseur for eight full days and it seemed like about three.  I returned home tired, but with lots of new knowledge, improved skills, and new friends.  It was an experience I'll never forget. Thanks to the instructors for their time and all the great information.

Ramseur, 8/12!

Shep

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Green Bean

Shep, thank you for posting.  I am back down on the Texas border and already wish I was still in Ramseur.  I miss waking up and looking out onto the range.  From morining till the sun went down it just got better.  Everyone was very positive and went out of there way to help each other all week.  The pace of the RBC was perfect.  It was nice to hear a more in depth explanations of the history and also marksmanship. 

Attending an RBC is the answer to those asking what is next after earning the rifleman patch.  There were topics covered at the RBC that there is not time for at a regular 2 day Appleseed.  It is hard to explain how great the RBC was.  A week of shooting, history and making friends with true Americans.  This was my summer vacation and I can honestly say the best vacation I have had in many years.

Thanks to my fellow students and new friends (Shep, Paul, Andrew, Joseph, Patricia, Wilbern, etc..) Thank you to our excellent instructors (Lawrence, Adam, Ben, Patrick) who took a week off of work and a week from their families to be with us. 

Ramseur 8-12

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Sadman

Ramseur 8/12

It was a sincere pleasure to participate in the boot camp.  It always renews my spirit when I meet like minded Americans!  I hope everyone found their way back home safely.  I have been praying for Patricia and her family in hopes that things are ok.

Thank you all!  I'll see you on the trail.

Cheers,

Sadman