News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ariel, WA September 1-2, 2012

Started by George Hacker, August 31, 2012, 09:16:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George Hacker

What a beautiful weekend.  Two cool mornings were followed by sunny afternoons that reached a high of 75 degrees.  The word I would use to describe the weather for this event would be "perfect!"

We had great shooters with very teachable attitudes.  It was a very safe crowd despite a couple serious hot brass burns.  It was nice to see a few families come out to spend the day learning marksmanship skills together and there were quite a few young couples.  An Appleseed is so much more rewarding when you get to share it with a friend or someone you love.  The weekend was special for me because my son-in-law, Rodney, came out and learned about his heritage.  Great times indeed!

Four young people earned their Patriot's Patch:  Nathan, Cameron, Charlie, and Ben.  All four of them were persistent and had a great attitude.  It was a pleasure having you boys on the firing line.  All of them improved dramatically.  Nathan, I see a Rifleman's Patch in your future.  Continue to dry practice.  Listen to your father's coaching and you will probably earn your patch soon.  Linden, thank you for working with some of the other shooters.  You are patient and a great coach.  We have an orange hat with your name on it when you decide to join us on the Appleseed Trail.

Congratulations to our three new riflemen, Dave, Sam, and Kyle. O0  All three of these guys earned their patch then continued to confirm their marksmanship skills.  All of them started in the 210s, but Sunday Dave and Sam were shooting in the 240's because they came Sunday with a goal of improving.  They had the right attitude because they didn't see the patch as the end of their rifleman journey, but at it should be the beginning.

There were a few others knocking on the door.  Dry practice, become more familiar with your rifles, practice mag changes and transitioning quickly to get into your steady hold factors.  Remember the rifleman's cadence and practice shooting the 400m targets.  I hope our paths cross again in the future on the range.

Thank you, Wolverton Mountain Gun Club, for having us at your range.  You have a wonderful facility.  Thank you, Mark, for representing your club and spending the weekend with us.  This was our first shoot at your range and it looks like Project Appleseed and WMGC have a bright future working together.

Thanks to all of the instructors, RL, Rizzin, tionico, arpjoe, paulw, and Kimber Custom, for volunteering to work this event,  RL, thank you especially for being a great mentor and helping me learn the ropes as a shoot boss.  IThank you, Theophilus and Joni, for helping set up the target line and tear it down.  Theophilus is a member of the club and was instrumental in presenting Appleseed to the board and getting us these two dates in 2012.  Thank you, kenjo, for having the initial vision to reach out to the club and see if we can have shoots there.  Your dream has become a reality and a couple dozen patriots learned about the sacrifices that Isaac Davis, John Parker, and others made to secure our liberty.

In liberty,

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

Brother_COM

Nice Chicken-Wing!
Great form!

hee hee hee,
Glen

Kimber Custom

What a nice range! Great group of Patriots including several families on the line.

One of the little guys really made me smile when he was in prone position with the rifle butt down around his rib cage; that 10/22 was just about as long as he was!

Mike and Kim don't give up; your so close to rifleman that I know you will get there soon. It's all about the NPOA.

RL and ShadowMan really put on an excellent benediction and 7th step. Nice job guys.

KC

arpjoe

Great weekend for Appleseed.

Bunch of shooters learning marksmanship and our country's history and heritage.  Three new riflemen who know very well what they are about.

A new location at Wolverton Mountain Gun Club.  Mark, thank you for sharing a high power demonstration with us Sunday and hosting Appleseed at your club.

My fellow instructors who volunteered their time to instruct our shooters in marksmanship, history and heritage.  Another safe event with more hope of getting our country back in the right direction.

Congrats to ShadowMan on his promotion to Shoot Boss.  Well done!!
Starve the collective (Ref: Starving the Monkeys, Tom Baugh) and
restore the Constitution.

He is a fool who knows not that swords were given to men, that none might be slave, but such as know not how to use them..
Algernon Sidney
Discourses Concerning Government
Ch. 2, sect. 4, p.343

Botbasher

Wolverton is an awesome range! I have helped with several Scouting related events and an Eagle Project (Bow Hunting Trail).

You guys are lucky to have begun to work with this incredible group!

Sadly, I was forced to move across country, or I would happily still be attending Scout events held here and probably would have become a member based on their Facility and unmatched attitude towards "outside" attendees.

You couldn't ask for better... except maybe Ramsuer, but I might be biased!  ::) Patches were earned in great numbers this weekend, including myself and my 12yo son!

Send some of that nice weather our way if you could though!

Cheers!

Ken
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

Botbasher

Quote from: arpjoe on September 03, 2012, 08:58:03 PM
A new location at Wolverton Mountain Gun Club.  Mark, thank you for sharing a high power demonstration with us Sunday and hosting Appleseed at your club.
He brought his Barrett out again didn't he? I miss playing with his "toy".  :'( Spent the best $60 ($5 a shot) I ever spent poking holes in paper one weekend out there!! That one rifle got me started in my quest to shoot high power long distance rifles!  >:D

Now having earned my Rifleman patch, I know how to shoot it effectively! Maybe I can talk him into a trip to North Carolina! Nah.. Maybe I'll just come back to WA!!

Cheers!

Ken
We have met the enemy and he is us. - Pogo the Possum

"The Constitution is a restraining order against the federal government. I'm not going to say a word about the effectiveness of restraining orders against criminals." Standing Wolf

You know why nobody panic buys .30-06? Because a man with a .30-06 doesn't need to panic.

George Hacker

Quote from: Botbasher on September 03, 2012, 10:24:28 PM
Quote from: arpjoe on September 03, 2012, 08:58:03 PM
He brought his Barrett out again didn't he? I miss playing with his "toy".  :'( Spent the best $60 ($5 a shot) I ever spent poking holes in paper one weekend out there!! That one rifle got me started in my quest to shoot high power long distance rifles!  >:D

Now having earned my Rifleman patch, I know how to shoot it effectively! Maybe I can talk him into a trip to North Carolina! Nah.. Maybe I'll just come back to WA!!

Cheers!

Ken

Indeed, Mark brought the Barrett and he charged $5.00 a round to shoot it.  Of course it was after our event wrapped up.  Some of our shooters stayed and took him up on the offer and so did some folks who dropped in to shoot it as well.  We took the opportunity to give them a few tri-folds, but I digress.

After all the shooting was done, Mark showed me the target that was posted at 150 yards.  Seven out of twelve rounds from the various shooters was in a 6" circle (how many MOA is that shooters?).  Mark said with a smile, "It looks like what you taught them worked.  Some of the visitors shot at rocks so I think these seven are yours."  That comment was the bow on a wonderful gift of a weekend.

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

Kimber Custom

I know! I know! I know!

Remember that it's a trick question since that is a 150y range...

kenjo

"At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer, if it ever reach us, it must spring up amongst us. It cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot, we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen, we must live through all time, or die by suicide."  Abraham Lincoln

RL

Thank you everyone for joining us this weekend. Thank you to the Wolverton Mountain Gun Club for hosting us. We had some Instructors that had to cancel, but some other Instructors answered the call on very short notice. Our shooters were awesome, excellent group.
...and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people.
John Adams, from the Boston Gazette, February 6, 1775

We live, my dear soul, in an age of trial. What will be the consequence, I know not.
John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 1774.

Rizzin

A Big Thanks to Mark and the rest of Wolverton Mt Gun Club for letting Appleseed come to your range.
And thanks for the opportunity to shoot a 50cal ( ohhhhh    yaaaaaaa   :))   )

Thanks to all the shooters who took the time to come out and learn Marksmanship and Heritage. And congrats to Dave, Sam and Kyle on their Rifleman scores.
With so many more right there knocking on the door.

And because
:pics:

Ohh  wait, how did those get in here. And no that is not blackberry juice on my chin thank you  @)

Ohhh Hey, whats this???   Shadowman gets a new Hat

Paulw & Kimber Custom get their recognition

Full Album can be found Here

jimmythegeek

Congrats, George! As the kids say, "Like a (shoot) boss!"

paulw

It was another great Appleseed weekend with a terrific group of shooters learning about marksmanship and our shared heritage.

Wolverton Mountain was a very gracious new host site - I'm looking forward to returning in November.

Kimber Custom

Quote from: ShadowMan on September 03, 2012, 11:43:22 PM
(how many MOA is that shooters?)

- ShadowMan

Just in case some of our shooters didn't retain IMC here's a quick review:
The target is placed @150y so first we must calculate what MOA is at 150y
Since 1 MOA =1" @100y and 2" @200y then 1MOA @ 150y = 1 1/2"

The target was showing 6" groups. How many times does 1 1/2" fit into 6"?

A 6" group @150y = 4MOA

Just to finish the lesson (maybe this will count for my PC3  ;)) If our group was 3" low and 2" right we would need to correct our sights up 2MOA and left 1.25 MOA

For standard sights (1 click =1MOA) that would be two clicks up and one click left. If we are using a scope wth 1/4 MOA adjustments that would be 8 clicks up and 5 clicks left

River

This is my first post, and I'm not sure I'm posting it in the right place. For those near Vancouver who might be interested, the North Clark County Men's retreat will be on the 22nd and 23rd of this month. Here is a link for more info:

http://www.royalridges.org/n_clark_mens_retreat.html

I went to the last one, and we spent a lot of time shooting rifles, skeet, and pistols, so bring your toys. Last time there was a great instructor (IPSC I think) on the pistol range. This is a patriotic crowd, and would be a great opportunity to let people know about Appleseed. I would be glad to make brochures available to the guys there if I could get some before then.

Thanks again to everyone for the great training, history lessons, and the loaner rifles for my boys and me at the Ariel event. We are hoping to make it to the November one also.

Kyle Riggs

paulw

Hi Kyle,
It was a pleasure to shoot with you and the boys at the last Ariel event & look forward to seeing you in November if you can make it.
I can't open the link to the Men's Retreat info here at work, but it sounds like a great outreach opportunity...

River

.22 and .50 casings.

Thanks, Mark!

River

I and my boys are registered for the shoot in Ariel tomorrow (11/3) and Sunday, but due to severe back pain I won't be able to go this time. Was hoping to make it right up to the last minute, but unfortunately it is just not realistic that I could make it through it. I am posting this here, although at the last minute, so that you will know our spots are available in case you have a walk in or know of someone who wanted to go but didn't get registered before it sold out. We hope to see you at the next one.

Kyle, Charlie, and Ben Riggs

Kimber Custom

We missed you guys yesterday. Hope you are feeling better.

The dates haven't been announed yet but we were told yesterday that three dates for next year have been approved by WMGC so more opportunities will be coming soon.

George Hacker

FYI - the approved dates for 2013 at Ariel, WA are Feb 23-24, Jul 06-07, and Nov 23-24.  There will probably be a 4th date, we just haven't pinned down the specific weekend yet.

Thank you, Wolverton Mountain Gun Club, for your hospitality and for letting Project Appleseed use your range.

ShadowMan