News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak, AK - Aug. 25/26 2012

Started by ItsanSKS, August 27, 2012, 07:16:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

Appleseeding in August.  For most of the country, these words conjure up thoughts of sweltering heat, sun burns, ice packs and shade canopies.  To say Alaskan Appleseeding is different is so much of an understatement as to be laughable. 

Saturday morning, 18 fine Americans gathered together at the Birchwood Recreation and Shooting Park to learn of the traditions and history of our founding generation.  The temperatures ranged from mid-to-high 40's at the beginning of the day, and reached a balmy 60 degrees by mid-afternoon. 

During check-in, there were many repeat attendees, including Wally, Mel, Ryan and Chrissie, plus a whole bunch of brand new faces.  More than half of our line had never attended an Appleseed before, which is always a great sign- it means that the word is getting out.  Women and Children?  Yep, we had 'em, in spades!  Warms my heart to see youngsters on the line, listening to the history, and learning about the men and women who wrested this country from the bonds of tyranny.  Lord knows they'll likely never hear these stories, the true stories of American Patriots, anywhere else. 

I'm pretty sure that the award for longest distance traveled to attend this Appleseed goes to Chad and Regina, who came up to Birchwood all the way from Valdez- about a 5-6 hour drive!  They made the trip solely to attend this Appleseed event, after hearing about it on the Survival Podcast.  Many thanks to Jack Spirko, who has been a long-time supporter of Appleseed; because of his continued efforts to get the word out, we instructors had the opportunity to work with two very fine Americans. 

As we finished up our safety briefing, and introduced our students to their first target, a young lady piped up and informed us that she had never fired her rifle before.  Considering I had just informed the line that they were expected to engage the Hits Count! target without the benefit of any instruction whatsoever, she was understandably incredulous.  Bill to the rescue!  IIT Bill worked with her to familiarize her with the rifle, and pointed out some of the basic concepts of shooting.  With Bill by her side, she was able to put many of her shots on target. 

The results from our first Hits Count! target told us instructors what we already knew- we had our work cut out for us.  50% of our line couldn't qualify at 100 yards.  The onslaught of instruction began in earnest, with topics such as Sling Use, Prone Position, Natural Point of Aim and The Six Steps being covered in rapid succession.  As our students were immersed in the traditions of our Founders, their marksmanship began to improve- first in fits and starts, then in leaps and bounds. 

As the clouds cleared from the skies and the temperatures began moving in a positive direction, our students were introduced to the Appleseed Qualification Test.  Based loosely upon the Army Qualification Test from the 1940's, the AQT tests our students on all of the skills that they have learned- positions (standing, seated/kneeling, and prone) Natural Point of Aim, magazine changes and much more.  With more than half of the targets scaled to represent 300 and 400 yard targets, steady hands and nerves are requisite attributes for passing this test. 

While many students came really, really close to passing their test on Saturday, unfortunately no one achieved the requisite 210/250 on Saturday.  I think it had to do with the awesome weather- it was just too nice out for our students to pay attention to their test.  Thankfully, Mother Nature had some more challenging conditions in store for us on Sunday!

As the day came to a close on Saturday, our students retrieved their Hits Count targets from that morning.  Using these targets as a baseline to gauge progress, our students again posted these same targets, intent on illustrating an improvement in their proficiency.  Showing dramatic improvement across the board, many of our former 100 yard qualified students moved on to qualify at 200 or 300, and students who hadn't been able to even qualify at 100, were now making solid hits at 100, and some were even making consistent hits at 200!  A doubling of skill level, in such a short period of time is a testament to their determination and persistence, making a few instructors proud in the process.

Sunday morning brought with it a few new students, but some Saturday students neglected to return, having other commitments to attend to.  With thirteen students on the line, I was immediately struck by the symbolism of having 13 students on the line...  Mother Nature was intent on bringing her bag of challenges to the mix, with a light drizzle and temps in the low 40's.  Only the most stalwart students would brave such inclement weather, but by showing their tenacity and persistence, they inspired the instructors to bring their A-game.  Anyone who is willing to brave the elements at an Appleseed is deserving of the best instruction available! 

Among our new students was a Mother-Daughter team, celebrating a birthday.  Though the weather quickly took its toll, these two persisted as long as they could, and were rewarded with an astounding increase in marksmanship ability for their troubles. 

We quickly recapped the instruction points from Saturday, and began moving on to improving individual skills.  With exercises such as transition drills (transition from standing to prone, firing one shot within 14 seconds) NPOA drills (five rounds prepped, one round per square) and many others, things began to click for our students.  After taking a late lunch, with Bill and Chris presenting the stories of the Dangerous Old Men and Brave Women of 1775, we challenged our students with the first of many AQT's.  Frigid wind, soggy backers and numb fingers were no match for the determination of our students to persist.  In the spirit of their founders, showing the same grit possessed by those men at Valley Forge, our students pushed on through it all. 

Their persistence in the face of adversity was rewarded with a remarkable improvement in marksmanship ability- by the end of the day, three new Riflemen had be hammered out on the anvil of the AQT, with Ryan achieving a high score of 225- a full 50 point improvement from his high score at a previous event.  Wally, aka Fisherdawg, and Mel both squeaked out a Rifleman Score of 212 on the AQT.  Counting up V-ring hits, Mel won the tie, with 9 V's.  Mel's target caused some consternation among the instructors, as her last target on stage three had just one ragged hole- was it three shots, or four?  The difference between a 207 and a 212 hung in the balance.  Based upon her other groups on the AQT, we instructors were comfortable in awarding her the coveted Rifleman patch.

As each of our Riflemen were presented their patches, I asked them all the same question- "what made the difference for you, what pushed you over the edge, from Cook to Rifleman?"  Like a broken record, they all responded that dry-fire practice at home was responsible.  There is simply no substitute for practicing the positions at home. 

If inspiring other students with their marksmanship ability wasn't enough, all three of our new Riflemen pledged to take up the Orange Hat of Instructor-In-Training.  It is no easy road to walk, with many new skills to learn.  However, if they show the same persistence in teaching as they did in learning, I look forward to handing them each a Red Hat of full Instructor soon.

All of our students have much to be proud of this weekend, whether their AQT scores reflect it or not.  Each one of them showed a persistence and determination that I believe our Founding Generation would be proud of.  No summer soldier or sunshine patriots among the bunch.

These events don't happen in a vacuum.  A lot of preparation goes on behind the scenes, with many people from all around the country working diligently to make each event a success.  I'd like to recognize some of these folks for the tremendous work that they do on behalf of Appleseed:

RifleWoman and the rest of the Admin Team:  A truly thankless job, the folks of the administration team ensure that all of the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed.  Without their hard work, event registration would be a nightmare of epic proportion. 

Dale and the rest of the BRSP staff: Dale is the range master for the rifle side of BRSP, and due to his hard work behind the scenes, our events at his fine facility run like clockwork.  The ladies who work in the club house are always friendly and helpful, and ensure that everything runs smoothly.  Hat's off to every one of you, and the thanks of a grateful Instructor Staff for providing us with an amazing venue for Appleseed. 

Finally, I'd like to thank my fellow instructors, both those who were working this event, and those who dedicate so much of their time to working other events throughout the country- every single one of you are an inspiration, passing along the finest traditions of our founding generation.  Though it is often said that we instructors receive no pay for our efforts at an Appleseed, we all know the truth is that the hearty handshakes, the emphatic thanks of our students, and the remarkable improvement seen in their marksmanship abilities is all the pay we require.  You folks are the finest Americans I know, and it is my continued honor to serve with you.

In Liberty,

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

ItsanSKS

Pictures!

Group photo from Sunday:

Alaska's Newest Riflemen:

I know some of you were taking more pictures, so please, don't keep them to yourselves, post them up for others to see!

"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

R1SGx2

ItsanSKS nice post, excellant read,
Quote18 fine Americans
Can say no more.

QuoteChad and Regina, who came up to Birchwood all the way from Valdez- about a 5-6 hour drive!
QuoteThey made the trip solely to attend this Appleseed event, after hearing about it on the Survival Podcast
WOW, SWEET, Thank you

Quote"what made the difference for you, what pushed you over the edge, from Cook to Rifleman?"
Dry-fire / Dry-fire / Dry-fire,,,

QuoteAmong our new students was a Mother-Daughter team,
It's great to see family on the line, ^:)^

SHOOTERS - Nice work... O0 O0

ItsanSKS and team, nice job,,, :bow: :bow:
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

fisherdawg

If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."
(Captain Levi Preston, of the Danvers militia, at age 91, remembering the day)

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Gray Bird

Eric, Bill and Chris: Thank you guys so much for another wonderful event! 

Christie and I had a great time and learned so much.  There was obviously much reiteration from our first seed to the second, but we were both impressed by how much more we picked up the second time.  Having already gained a foundation from the first event, we were able to absorb more the second time.  Also, because the shooters at each event had different skills and issues, our training took a different path and this too aided our enlightenment.

The first time shooters we brought (Krisada, Sydney and Karen) were also very impressed with the information presented; both shooting and historical.  Krisada (Saturday shooter) is now researching rifles and is looking forward to coming back in October.  He's got some unfinished business with that AQT and wants to hear the conclusion of the April 19th narrative.   

At dinner on Sunday, my mother (Karen) was lamenting not being able to stay longer and is already working on adjusting her schedule to be available for the October event.  If ever I've seen the power of quality instruction, it would the results my mother realized in 4 short hours on the line.  From shooting indiscernible groups to hitting 3/5 on the timed NPOA drill shooting 1 inch squares at 25m in a few hours is amazing.     

My sister is regretting her poor clothing choices.  You'd never believe she was born and raised in Alaska.  Despite her brief appearance, she had a good time and on a nicer day we may have had a chance of seeing what she was capable of.  Maybe next year.

Chad and Regina, glad you made it home safely.  You guys are an inspiration.  You made me very grateful to only be 30 minutes away and really made me appreciate how lucky I am. 

Ryan and Jimmy, I'm looking forward to seeing you two give that Rifleman score another go in October.  Sorry I took the picture of you guys trying to keep warm, but nothing illustrates how cold it was that day besides the picture of you two succumbing to sharing a blanket to stay warm.

Mel, see you at Rabbit Creek on Sunday's and great work last weekend.

Wally, THANK YOU SO MUCH for encouraging me to come out in June!  You embody everything that this organization stands for! Can't wait to see you as an instructor!

See you all soon, enjoy the pictures!

Gray Bird

Here are a few more pictures and a copy of the dry fire targets Wally and I used.  These dry fire targets are tiny, but very helpful.  It makes the AQT targets feel so much more doable.  They are made to be set up 12ft from your muzzle.

My first seed I maybe had 20% scoring hits on stage 4. With next to no live ammo practice in between seeds (100 rounds?), I scored with every round on stage 4 this time.  Not all 5's, mind you, but points none the less.  Just a few minutes every few days is all it takes!   ~~:)

RJ

Camljr

Sounds like a great shoot in Chugiak!!!!

Congrats Wally!   I knew you could get there... You were already a rifleman in my mind, you now have the score to back it up... :---

O0 O0 O0
96 SHOOTS SO FAR!

WSMR Instructor 03/10  -  SAPPER STEEL!

�The real man smiles in trouble, gathers strength from distress, and grows brave by reflection�   Thomas Paine

Proverbs 22:3  -  A prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even when checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy, nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory or defeat".
Theodore Roosevelt

Taka222

It was such a great shoot.

Thank you SO MUCH to Eric, Bill and Wally - I couldn't have done it without you!
PREPAREDNESS - "When you need it and don't have it, you will sing a different tune." Burt Gummer

fisherdawg

Camljr,
Thanks for the congrats.  It's great to hear from you and Bob 210.  I'm excited to be on the IIT path and looking forward to a full line at our Oct. event.

Taka222, I'm honored to be your friend and know you as a fellow rifleman.  You deserve all the credit.
Best regards,
Wally
If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern men, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. (James Madison)

"Young man, what we meant in going for those Redcoats was this: we always had governed ourselves and we always meant to. They didn't mean we should."

That it is an indispensable duty which we owe to God, our country, ourselves and posterity, by all lawful ways and means in our power to maintain, defend and preserve those civil and religious rights and liberties, for which many of our fathers fought, bled and died, and to hand them down entire to future generations.  Suffolk Resolves, September 9, 1774, attributed to Dr. Joseph Warren

Brother_COM

Uhm.... why does everyone have a coat on? Is this like NORTHERN Alaska???

Brrrrrrrr.

Glen

Kaylee

SO incredibly cool. Score three for the home team!  ^:)^

Thanks y'all.

fisherdawg

Brother_COM,
It's South- Central Alaska!  On Saturday (Aug 25th) we all sun burned as it was clear and in the high sixties.  Sunday morning it was in the high 40's and RAIN!  Later the rain stopped and it crept into the 50's but was very windy.  Please come on up for the Oct. 20 & 21 shoot -- it might a chance for a Winterseed patch!
Best regards,
fisherdawg
aka
Wally Thomas

mountaingoat1980

Hey there, just wanted to let you guys know that Regina & I just bought our tickets for October.  I also got word from my buddy to reserve 3 spots for him & his two teenagers, and I have a relative who is looking into it.   Let's fill all 30 spots for Oct!

fisherdawg