News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Sunland, CA August 25/26, 2012

Started by gonejohnny, August 25, 2012, 09:58:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gonejohnny

10 shooters...
5 new Riflemen...
1 re-qualify, complete with a shiny new Orange Hat...
1 hat changed from Orange to RED...

There's nothing quite like a father-in-law / son-in-law rivalry to get things going... LAPD officer, Pat utilized a Saturday showing to get the jump on his Sunday only son-in-law, Brian... Both having been to prior Appleseeds, Pat used his time wisely for a great Saturday score of 227... but not before his first qualifying score of an even 210 (spuh-lash). Welcome, Pat! And congratulations on achieving your Rifleman's Patch!

Another Saturday only shooter and LAPD alum, Adam also gave a tremendous showing for a qualifying score of 215! Congratulations to you, Adam on YOUR Rifleman's patch!

Saturday also saw the return of Gary B, a shooter from our last adventure in Sunland where he shot his Rifleman's score! Not one to rest on his laurels, Gary confirmed his marksmanship yet again for our three QD-AQT's of Saturday with more that qualifying scores of 211, 217 & 221 and stepped right up to collect a bright and shiny O R A N G E - H A T ! ! ! ! ! Thanks, Gary! Excellent work ! ! ! !

Sunday was also a colossal showing of heart, attitude and marksmanship! Chomping at the bit, our shooters were able to raise THREE MORE RIFLEMEN on the FIRST AQT of the DAY!!!!!

3-time returnee Dave was able to finally grasp greatness and literally pull the score from the test in front of him! Congratulations, Dave on your Rifleman's patch!

Brian might not have known what was best for his personal life and just had to out-shoot his father-in-law Pat (read above) for a qualifying score! Congratulations, Brian on achieving your Rifleman's Patch! Job well done!

Local High-Power regular Nelson was a welcome addition to our weekend group and too managed himself a fabulous showing for a Rifleman's Patch. A master CMP instructor, we we're also very fortunate to have Nelson around for assistance on our CMP presentation (and a little... eh-hmmmm.... after-hours discussion on the good ole "United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1")

Shooter Geoff is as close as they come... If only the QD-AQT was scored as a "greatest hits"... This guys has just owed each of our four stages... Just not on the same AQT... With a heart of gold, I'm sure we'll be seeing more of Geoff soon... There's a patch in his future for sure.

Shooters Michael and Robert are so close you can almost see it over the berm... Michael came in just shy at 209... that's right "two-oh-nine"... ugh... Robert is right there too... tube-fed and all... he'll get it... just a matter of persistence and patience...

So... there we have it... 5-Riflemen ground out on the anvil of the AQT. A productive weekend for sure... Got a new Orange Hat on the lines and Gratefuldog saw the color of his hat bandana change from Orange to RED!

Still though... this instructor's most memorable moment came after everything was broken down and cleared away... Canopies back in there car... Brass patrolled... Just a couple of people hanging back drinking the last of their water... Shooters Robert and Michael stuck around to ask for some pointers to practice on their journey to their next Appleseed weekend, while striving for their "patch"... and here come's Instructor Foppish Dandy with his M1-Garand... "Hey guys, you wanna try a little off-hand at that silhouette about 200-yards out over the berm?"

Robert & Michael quickly step to... Man, that steel never even had a chance... Boom / Ping / Boom / Ping / Boom / Ping... both of em... With the look that one can only have after handling a rifle of that sort, both look over and say "Wow, it really works!"

Yes, guys... It really works!

Thanks to fellow instructors Camljr, Foppish Dandy, Gratefuldog and Gary for letting me hang out. Another great weekend and we hope to see all of you on the trail very soon!

Till next time... Rock & Roll,
- GoneJohnny

gratefuldog

I'll see your "place-holder," and raise you a "teaser:"

Man, this was a Productive weekend....

bam11

Thanks guys for putting on a great event had a blast today

Mister

Many thanks to the dedicated and passionate staff. They truly believe in what they are doing and it shows. Congrats to all who shot their scores, or just improved their skills, and to Grateful Dog on his red hat.

Its heartening that EVEN in the darkest regions of CA there are points of light like the Appleseed Project.

Shooting the M1 sounds like it was fun....that will teach me to cut out early.

bam11

careful with those m1's My father in law and I shot them at the end of the day and he ordered his today and I am waiting on my new drivers license but my paper work is done and going out for mine as soon as it arrives . soooo much fun

Wayward Raven

Thanks for the awesome instruction and training!  Shooting that M1 Garand really drove home what can be done with the material we are learning and practicing here.  Gonna reload and practice, then I'll be back for that rifleman patch!  Meanwhile, here are some pics and a video:

R1SGx2

QuoteBoom / Ping
Love the sound,,,

Gary:
Quotebright and shiny O R A N G E - H A T
Congrats, now it's time to get dirt on it.

Sounds like a very nice shoot, Love the M-1 in action pictures.

Good Job by all...

gonejohnny, Nice post.

Thanks for all you do,,,
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Johnnyappleseed

This shoot sure looks special ! great job to all who perservered and to all of you who contributed to the cause of liberty  O0

Welcome aboard each of you and CONGRATULATION S to our new Rifleman.

cibgrunt thank you for taking the orange hat and beginning the journey to help fullfill the dreams of those who sacrificed so much for our freedom  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Foppish Dandy

As usual, Johnny gives a perfect summary of the weekend. I'm not sure I could say it any better, though I will elaborate just a hair...

Quote from: gonejohnny on August 25, 2012, 09:58:30 PM
Still though... this instructor's most memorable moment came after everything was broken down and cleared away... Canopies back in there car... Brass patrolled... Just a couple of people hanging back drinking the last of their water... Shooters Robert and Michael stuck around to ask for some pointers to practice on their journey to their next Appleseed weekend, while striving for their "patch"... and here come's Instructor Foppish Dandy with his M1-Garand... "Hey guys, you wanna try a little off-hand at that silhouette about 200-yards out over the berm?"

Robert & Michael quickly step to... Man, that steel never even had a chance... Boom / Ping / Boom / Ping / Boom / Ping... both of em... With the look that one can only have after handling a rifle of that sort, both look over and say "Wow, it really works!"

I've gotta say that however much I love to shoot my Garand, I have just as much fun watching others pick it up and light up after that first "BOOM... PING". Even better is hearing that there are going to be several more Garands out there in good hands that will appreciate and use them well. One point of correction though Johnny... We had four shooters nail that 200yard steel on their first shot. Brian, Pat, Michael and Robert all did our forefathers proud with those shots.

While I may not be quite the writer that Johnny is, I do have one strength... a high-capacity camera memory card.  ;D
Pictures are posted below... Don't forget to visit the Southern California Appleseed Facebook Page, give us a "Like" and tag yourself.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES!!!
Day 1 - Part 1

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

Day 1 - Part 2

Foppish Dandy

Day 1 - Part 3

cibGrunt

It was a pleasure shooting with a great group of riflemen last weekend at the Sunland Appleseed.   Congrats to everyone who got their Patch.   Considering the willingness to learn and the level of skill displayed, the rest will have that Rifleman's Patch soon.

Jonnie, Cameron, Sam, and Pete... thanks for your help, you guys are inspiring.  I'm looking forward to continuing my training.

Mister

Any day 2 pics on the hi-cap card Foppish?

Foppish Dandy

Ask and ye shall receive...

Day 2 - Part 1

Foppish Dandy

Day 2 - Part 2