News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

McLean, IL August 18-19, 2012 AAR

Started by Wurstmacher, August 19, 2012, 09:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

Beautiful weather greeted us for this weekend's shoot at the Holland farm near McLean, IL.  Nineteen shooters came Saturday, not too bad for a shoot that only had eight preregistered on Tuesday night.  Thank you to all, that invited the new Appleseeders. 

The shoot on Saturday flowed really well, allowing us to easily get in two AQTs by the end of the day.  Two shooters were rewarded with their very own Rifleman's patch.  Congratulations Mike and Jeff. 

Sunday did not produce any new riflemen, or women, but two or three definitely had the skill, but not the equipment to put them over the top.  Screws loosening, scopes wiggling, magazine issues, and jams are difficult to overcome in 65 seconds or less.  Learning about your equipment is just part of the education that you get at an Appleseed. 

Judging from the number of Rifleman Opportunity Cards/Memberships sold this weekend, I'm sure we will see many of this weekend's future Rifleman, back on the line yet this year.

Thank you to the instructors that gave their time this weekend to teach and motivate these freedom loving Americans.

Please feel free to post your comments and any pictures that you took this weekend.

Johnsolobird

Once again we were treated to a fantastic weekend with some amazing instructors. Special thank you to Bob Holland and your family for making us feel like family. As Wurstmacher mentioned (some of us) had equipment problems  :-[, but will learn from this and look forward to that time when we join the ranks those Riflemen that have endured before us.

SlingBurn

I'm one of those that made Rifleman on Saturday (Mike), and let me tell you that it is still surreal to be looking at it, compared to how I started shooting on Saturday!  When we started, my shots were all over.  By the time I made Rifleman with the AQT, my groups were pretty tight!

I cannot thank the instructors enough for their patience and knowledge, and assistance with equipment problems. 

Saturday, for me, went off without a hitch equipment-wise.  I earned my Rifleman's patch on Saturday, so Sunday I really wanted to focus hard on the fundamentals and get the best groups and scores I could get.  Well, it turned out that Sunday was filled with loading/chambering issues for me (which ultimately I've concluded was probably a combination of a bad batch of ammo, and carbon buildup in my 10/22 chamber). 

I learned a LOT on Saturday, but even more on Sunday while having equipment issues!  Problems do occur, and you need to carry on despite of them and do the best you can.  It's okay to get frustrated, but keep a positive attitude.

Thank you very much to Bob and the whole Holland family, you have some beautiful property and were very generous, and made me feel so welcome.   

And thank you again to the instructors.  I'm looking forward to another Appleseed and hope to contribute to the effort in the near future.
"I have not a man who is afraid to go." - Isaac Davis

The Nailer

I would like to thank the Holland family for all their hard work and hospitality this weekend to make this a very successful shoot.  This is an execellent venue and everyone should try to make it to this shoot.  A great bunch of shooters came out to test their marksmanship skills and hear about their American Heritage.  I was very impressed with the attitudes of the shooters who had smiles on their faces all weekend, even the ones with equipment issues.  The weather was near perfect and there is not anywhere I would rather have been than at the Holland farm.
The Nailer

mead85

Thanks to Bob and the Instructors for such a great weekend.  I met some great people and learned a lot even with it being my second Appleseed Event.  Special thanks to Nailer figuring out what was wrong with my rifle.  (Time to order a new one).  I look forward to another Appleseed event.

Thanks
Sean

Brother_COM

GREAT SHOOT! Wurstmacher is the best! O0 He is a great example for ANY Instructor In Training (IIT) to follow.

Congrats to Jeff and Mike! TWO Illinois shooters who "Know what they are about!"

Here's a few pics from Saturday's shoot:

Prairie Eagle

Great photos - someone knows how to work a camera angle  O0

Totally agree with your view on Wurstmacher, he was awesome when I decided to take the orange hat.

Brother_COM

Yup... Wurst is the best Like the pun? :))

Thanks for comment on pics too!

Prairie Eagle, where are you from? Have we ever met?
Juss Wunderin,
Brother_COM