News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Piru CA AAR August 18-19, 2012

Started by Dano, August 19, 2012, 09:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dano

Well it was another great weekend in Piru, temperature less than 100° and wind were gusty but not to bad. We lost two more Easy Ups to the wind but thanks to Grateful Dog we had them repaired from spare parts for Sunday.

As for the shooting we had a good mix of folks with a wide range of experience. We had Russell and Kristin, a father and daughter team that performed very well by the end of Saturday, they we both shooting great groups and on the way to being  the Rifle Family. Harrison and his grandfather came out and Harrison made steady improvement but needed to leave early. We also had Orion for part of the day who also made it look easy but had to leave early.

We had return shooters Ken and Dave making steady progress and getting good use from their ROC Cards. Thanks Ken for putting up with all of our abuse and keeping everyone smiling. Ken also brought out Susan a shotgun shooter who did great once we got here a rifle with a scope.

Mike came out and brought Aiden, Scott and Sean three boys 11 and under. After seeing how much fun the boys were having we offered Mike a rifle and he was off and running. Sean was 11 and shot from all the positions with transitions and was posting some good scores. Aiden and Scott hung in there for two days and had a blast.

Congratulations to Ken for winning the first golf ball and steel challenge. Ken won three out of three times. If I am ever attacked by golf balls I want Ken on my team!

Thanks to Gone Johnny, Grateful Dog, Senior Dandy and Lock3 for coming out to help it is always a pleasure to teach with such a great crew!
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Dano

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

'No arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is as formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women.'- Ronald Reagan

Foppish Dandy

This weekend brought us thirteen Americans, one to represent each of the original colonies, ready to celebrate their heritage and take a shot at that Rifleman score.

It was great to see returning shooters Ken and Dave come out to continue their journeys down the Appleseed trail. All of our new shooters showed great promise and everyone seemed to show improvement by the end of the weekend. However, I'd like to give some special recognition to 11 year old Sean who came out with his dad and brothers. While he had further to go before he hits that score, he showed the heart of a Rifleman, keeping up with all the adults and really showing some spectacular form.

It's always a pleasure getting to work with this SoCal crew and I want to give a big thank you to Dano, GratefulDog, GoneJohnny and especially L0ck3, who came out to visit us from South Carolina.

Also, if you are on Facebook, please take a moment to "Like" our Facebook page and tag yourself in photos: Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

PICTURES!!!
Day 1 - Part 1

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Foppish Dandy

Day 1 - Part 2

gonejohnny

A great shoot this last weekend! Thank you to all who came and we all looking forward to seeing you all again very soon! A big thank you to Mike for bringing his kids: Aiden, Scott & Sean! The whole family showed tremendous heart and fierce dedication on both days! Dave is getting closer and closer with each and every COF in front of him!

Quote from: Dano on August 19, 2012, 09:41:52 PM
Congratulations to Ken for winning the first golf ball and steel challenge. Ken won three out of three times. If I am ever attacked by golf balls I want Ken on my team!
Hear, Hear! From seated and off-hand (twice) no less!

Remember everyone....
Dry practice is the key to improving your marksmanship!

And... We've got another shoot this weekend in Sunland for any that would like to go back-to-back!
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26665.0

Rock & Roll,
GoneJohnny

Foppish Dandy

Day 2

Khanan

Some day I might get my rifleman's patch.  For now, I will be happy with winning the golf ball and steel challenge.   :)

It was great to have so many instructors at Piru this weekend.  You guys are all great!

MadHammer

I want to send a giant "thank you" to all of the dedicated volunteers that hosted the Piru Appleseed event on August 18 and 19. Dano, GoneJohnny, L0cke3, GratefulDog, and Senor Dandy were all top rate instructors: generous of heart and material, patient with all three of my young boys, truly dedicated to the cause, and all fine human beings! You fellas made for a wonderful weekend filled with important history as well as important life skills that all Americans should learn. I don't think I can keep the boys away from future events (not that I'd try) because they all loved the time they spent with you all and the skills they learned. Thanks for letting me sling a little lead downrange myself as well!

Sincerely,
A family of future Rifleman patch bearers
If you won't stand behind our warriors, feel free to stand in front of them.

MadHammer

Khanan

Quote from: MadHammer on August 22, 2012, 12:19:53 AM
I want to send a giant "thank you" to all of the dedicated volunteers that hosted the Piru Appleseed event on August 18 and 19. Dano, GoneJohnny, L0cke3, GratefulDog, and Senor Dandy were all top rate instructors: generous of heart and material, patient with all three of my young boys, truly dedicated to the cause, and all fine human beings! You fellas made for a wonderful weekend filled with important history as well as important life skills that all Americans should learn. I don't think I can keep the boys away from future events (not that I'd try) because they all loved the time they spent with you all and the skills they learned. Thanks for letting me sling a little lead downrange myself as well!

Sincerely,

Yes, Yes, one hundred times yes.  All of the instructors were great.  I tried to say that but you are much more eloquent than I.

Foppish Dandy

Quote from: Khanan on August 21, 2012, 08:23:02 PM
Some day I might get my rifleman's patch.
Keep persisting... you're right there! However, we'll be expecting you to take that orange hat when do you do get that score!

Quote from: MadHammer on August 22, 2012, 12:19:53 AM

Sincerely,

Thank you so much! You and the boys were a joy to have on the range for the weekend. We'll be looking forward to seeing all of you again soon.

L0ck3

I finally got the time to look over the after action report (AAR) for Piru and to reflect on this solid weekend. It was great to see 'hats Dano, Johnny, Foppish and Pete again and I am planning to do more so-cal Appleseeds as my travel allows.

I saw the slow and steady march toward an awakening and skill set that we all strive toward every appleseed. The persistence in the eyes of the shooters and the 'hats was one of reserved determination. Managing the triple digit temps itself is draining while trying to tighten up loose shot groups and quicken QDAQT stages can seem impossible under such heat.  But, I am grateful to have helped this weekend's participants and wish that each of you find your bubble and shoot straight.  We should reminder ourselves that we can't rest. The odds are not in our favor, yet each appleseed brings us closer to closing the gap.

7th Stepping,
L0ck3
Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke