News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ames, IA Aug.18-19 AAR

Started by Miller, August 18, 2012, 10:00:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miller

After two years away from the Izaak Walton League range in Ames Appleseed has returned and made a good showing for our first day.  Seventeen shooters on the line and all left with smiles after the closing Red Coat.  Expecting an even dozen back for Sunday and based on today's shooting I would not be surprised to award a Rifleman patch or three.  And excellent group of students all around and everyone was showing good progress throughout the day.  And As Alex was closing out the day I was amazed at how involved this group of Americans was.  Normally when we ask about how many shooters have contact with their elected officials I'll see a few hands go up.  Today more than half went up and with some energy!  Makes me smile.

I know Alex managed a few photos and I think Mark may have gotten one or two as well so I would expect to see them posted soon.

For now I'm headed for a shower and a dose of vitamin I before I turn in.
Tomorrow more instruction, Dangerous Old Men, and the forging of Riflemen on the anvil of the AQT.

Fearful but resolute.

Miller

Oh, and one other thought.....

When you are a right handed shooter and are trying to demonstrate steady hold factors to a left handed student it feels awkward as anything.  But that over-awareness of your own positioning can be a valuable tool.  Having to really think your way through a position may just wake you up to any bad habits or sloppiness that has crept into your "normal" shooting. 

So next time you do a bit of dry firing  take the time to build each position as if shooting "wrong" handed.  If nothing else it will remind you of the first time you proned out on the line and a little humility is good for us all.
Fearful but resolute.

Miller

Just walked in the door from Ames.
No new Riflemen this weekend but some amazing improvement and a lot of learning.

Many thanks to the Ames chapter of the Izaak Walton League for hosting us.  They've recently reworked the pistol and rifle ranges and the improvements are outstanding.

Many thanks also to the shooters.  Eager to learn and positive all weekend and it showed in their improvement.  With a little practice and another 'seed or two I can see several Riflemen in this group and probably an Orange Hat or two as well.

I know Alex and Mark got more pics today so as soon as they have time to log on I'm sure we'll be able to see the fun had by all.

For now...
I need a shower and a few Zzzzzzzs.
;D
Fearful but resolute.

mac3647

consider sharing the event on Face Book athttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Project-Appleseed-IOWA/286241294746918

and spreading the word of APPLESEED even further. 
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"  Thomas Jefferson

loves2hunt59

Good work All.
                                                                                 Godspeed

R1SGx2

QuoteAfter two years away from the Izaak Walton League range in Ames
QuoteSeventeen shooters on the line and all left with smiles

SWEET / Nice return,,,

QuoteNormally when we ask about how many shooters have contact with their elected officials I'll see a few hands go up.  Today more than half went up and with some energy!
Nice job and work. It's up to us to save OUR NATION...,,,

"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."