News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Scope question

Started by technoronin, August 16, 2012, 07:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

technoronin

Earlier this week I picked up a used Ruger 10/22 with a 10x scope mounted.  I'm thinking that 10x is way too powerful a scope for shooting at the range that an Appleseed class normally uses.  The rifle has a bull barrel, so there's no practical way to install iron sights.  Will it be practical to use it in the class that happens in a couple of days?

9mm4545

You are correct in thinking that a 10x scope is too much magnification for Appleseed. Great for off the bench but for what we do, you would be better off with a 3 or 4
power scope--or a set of Tech Sights.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

hinermad

Quote from: technoronin on August 16, 2012, 07:36:04 PMThe rifle has a bull barrel, so there's no practical way to install iron sights.

Tech Sights makes an adapter so you can mount their dovetailed front sights to the 10/22 bull barrel. It fits over the end of the barrel and is held in place with thread lock compound. (Just reading their web site. I haven't used it so I don't know how effective it is.)

Dave

didactic

I second the low-power scope suggestion.  You aren't likely to be able to get Tech-sights and get them installed by this weekend.   O0

Shopping locally, see if you can find a mid-price 2x-7x variable, or even a shotgun/muzzleloader scope with a 1.5x-4.5x or so magnification range.  Those shotgun scopes are ideal for Appleseeds, and they're often available for more or less $60!  ^:)^

Use whatever $$ you can save for more ammo!   :~ :~ :~
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

RF

It is more important to pay attention to instructions and enjoy learning better technique than to show up with the best rifle on the line. You will be pleasantly surprised how well you can shoot with a rifle that is not ideal.

Few scopes focus really well at 25 yards.
Most scopes have a lot of parallax error at 25 yards.
10X mostly magnifies your wobble instead of making the target bigger.

Things to look at when selecting and mounting a scope for Appleseed:

Rifle stock with a high comb. You NEED to have your cheek (not just your jaw) comfortably resting on the stock while your eye is centered in the scope. We usually have to build up the stock with foam and tape for scope users.

Focus at 25 yards. Not the end of the world if your scope does not focus properly, this falls under the "shoot whatever you have" guideline.

Low magnification, even 4X can be hard to use for standing until you master the position.

Mount the scope well forward, usually as far forward as you can get it. Some scopes have a long eyepiece that interfere with mounting it far enough forward to provide the proper eye relief for our kind of shooting.

Scope mounts often come loose during an Appleseed. Use the special Locktite for gun screws instead of trying to rely on tightening too much.

I think there is a better list around here somewhere on this forum.
Celeste, Texas

technoronin

I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  Academy has a decent looking 4-9x scope for around $50.  I don't know that I'll have the time to get it and install it by Saturday morning unless y'all don't mind my snoring on the line...

Too much to do to be ready to leave the house by 6AM Saturday morning.  If only I didn't have that pesky mortgage that requires me to work.

Charles McKinley

Bring the scope and tools to change it there.  You may even be able to do the swap after the first red coat.  I'm sure the instructor core can help you get it on and zeroed in, in short order.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

dragit

Why not use what you have for this shoot, and then you will have the experience of using it for future reference.  The day before a shoot is not the time to mess with something that is already set up.  Save your money for ammo.  $50 dollars will get you about 1,500 rounds depending on brand.  That is a lot of potential learning in my .02 cent opinion.
None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.  Goethe

Sarah Belding: Be careful. You're a man who makes people afraid, and that's dangerous.
The Stranger: It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid.

His genius was to promote collective action in the cause of freedom... Fischer

eaglescouter

I would like to echo that Tech Sights does make an adapter for the bull barrel Ruger 10/22.  I have one on my rifle
and it works well.  However the threadlock that holds the adapter on the front of the barrel must cure a minimum of
24 hours, so be sure to apply well in advance of your Appleseed if you choose this approach.

As for the scope, 10X can work, but for building the fundamentals I think a 3X or 4X is far more  useful.
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

GEmanuel

Quote from: technoronin on August 17, 2012, 12:18:47 AM
I was afraid that was going to be the answer.  Academy has a decent looking 4-9x scope for around $50.  I don't know that I'll have the time to get it and install it by Saturday morning unless y'all don't mind my snoring on the line...

Too much to do to be ready to leave the house by 6AM Saturday morning.  If only I didn't have that pesky mortgage that requires me to work.

This may not be the suggestion you would prefer, but at most shoots with prior notice the Shoot Boss can arrange for a loaner rifle which may be more appropriate. This would also give you the opportunity to try something different without making a financial investment.
You can use the 10X scope, but it will probably be more difficult to avoid focusing on the target rather than the reticule, which is paramount with scope shooting.
Many will argue that a scope is easier to use, I would argue with that point of view as an older shooter who can no longer see the front sight. Scopes in fact require more concentration than iron sights to shoot properly IMHO.
Again, if you are amenable to the idea, a loaner rifle may be just the ticket in your case.
The contact info for the Shoot Boss is usually on the event/range info page.
Good luck, and have FUN
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

SSG Platz

Your scope will be fine, go to your shoot and have fun. The two biggest issues you will run into is one you will be able to see the strike of your round on the target, you will have to keep your discipline and continue to aim at the same place and not "chase your rounds". You may find that doing this may take more discipline than you own, keep at it and you will get there. 2. You may have to Continue to verify that you are on your target by panning up and checking your target number. This will take a few extra seconds, but is with it to not upset your neighbor because you shot his target. And last and not least make sure you bring the tools you need to do everything to your scope from taking it off the rifle, out of the rings and to adjusting your reticale. Don't be afraid to do loosein your scope rings and moving things around to get proper eye relief and getting rid of parallax. But above all have fun and enjoy Appleseed. =^)

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

technoronin

I shot with this rifle and scope on Sunday.  10x is certainly more magnification than I need.

The biggest problem I ran into was the eye relief.  My head changes position between prone, sitting and standing which caused me all sorts of problems in getting a good sight picture.  I'm thinking that I need to get a scope with a much more generous range of working distances for my eye.  I've started reading reviews, but very few of them pay much attention to eye relief.  Not a big surprise, most ranges don't allow the sort of shooting positions that Appleseed uses.

Any recommendation from folks who are a whole lot wiser than I am?

JOEMORGAN

I just bought a Simmons 4x 22 Mag scope for around 40 bucks for the wife's rifle...she likes it
"Man did not enter society to be worse off, or to have fewer rights, but rather to have those rights better secured" --Thomas Paine

"Humanity has won it's battle, Liberty has a country" --Marquis de Lafayette

"These are not men, but devils" --Colonel Francisco de Paula-Milan, Mexican Army, Camerone 30 April 1863

hinermad

Quote from: technoronin on August 20, 2012, 01:18:46 PM
but very few of them pay much attention to eye relief.

Maybe a pistol scope? They have long eye relief.

Dave

GEmanuel

If I understood your previous posts correctly, you attended your first Appleseed this past weekend.
You acknowledge at least having shot the scope at Appleseed distances and indicate a problem with eye relief. A Pistol scope is not the answer unless it is impractical to mount the scope on the reciever especially on a 22 rifle such as your Ruger.
One of the difficulties with scopes, and there are many, is the variation of position and the way it effects eye releif.
The best way to set up your eye releif for "Field" or "Position" shooting is to do so prone. In the prone position you have the least amount of flexibility in your turkey neck as opposed to setting the eye relief in standing or Sitting/Kneeking ( which are about the same in head position) In prone your head is raised and actually tilts back a bit. On a rifle set up for standing this causes your eye to be further from the scope in prone, and you can only sneak up so much. If on the other hand you set the scope for proper sight alignment in prone, you will find you can more easily move your eye closer to the scope as needed in standing by simply "Turkey Necking" a little harder.
Try it, you'll like it. This will hold true no matter the power of the scoipe you finally mount on the Ruger.
And has been said earlier, focus your eye on the recticule, not the target.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

technoronin

It was actually my second Appleseed.  The scope is a far forward as it can go and I'm still having major problems getting my eye in the correct position, I have to pull my head back when prone and strain forward when standing.  So that's the reason I think finding a scope that has a broader range of usable eye relief is my best bet.  I got really tired of everything going black on me.

paulw

The pistol scope I tried (unsuccessfully) needed 12-14" of eye relief...not enough room on the 10-22.
I finally settled on an intermediate eye relief "scout" scope (Leupold) -- it cost a bundle for the scope and mount, but the low power works for my aging eyes.

GEmanuel

If you haven't done so yet, try putting both rings BEHIND the adjustment turret. This usually allows the scope to be positioned farther forward. It may look a little strange but will get you a lot more eye relief.

George63

Quote from: GEmanuel on August 20, 2012, 03:34:32 PM
If you haven't done so yet, try putting both rings BEHIND the adjustment turret. This usually allows the scope to be positioned farther forward. It may look a little strange but will get you a lot more eye relief.

I have a long neck, so I have to do this and extend my stock

Edheler

Another way to get more eye-relief while having your rings mounted in a more usual configuration is to use this rail. https://www.volquartsen.com/products/368-picatinny-scope-mount-for-10-22 It extends beyond the end of the receiver.

oladcock

Quote from: technoronin on August 20, 2012, 03:29:43 PM
It was actually my second Appleseed.  The scope is a far forward as it can go and I'm still having major problems getting my eye in the correct position, I have to pull my head back when prone and strain forward when standing.  So that's the reason I think finding a scope that has a broader range of usable eye relief is my best bet.  I got really tired of everything going black on me.

If you've got it mounted as far forward as you can, add a slip on butt pad that'll add about 1", the same as moving the scope forward 1". Typically the higher $$$ a scope is the more range of eye relief you have but not always... Generically also the higher power it is the closer the eye relief but not always. Should be no reason between the available adjustment range, cheek pads, and butt pads you can't get it to fit perfectly in the prone position and live with what you got in sitting and standing....O.L.
"The price good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." Plato 400BC

President Roswell Gun Club
AQT 246
WSMR 03-10 ... Sapper Steel
IBC 2018
KD Ft. Bliss Tx. 214  2019
IBC 2021

Roswell, NM
Carlsbad NM
El Paso Tx
Lubbock Tx
New Deal Tx
Levelland Tx
Alamogordo NM
Alburquerque NM
41 Lead Farm Tx

SSG Platz

Sounds like your LOP is not correct for your rifle, you may have a youth rifle and not know it. Or if you are tall and lanky the factory stock may be to short.

~PlatzOut~
Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and loard if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

9mm4545

I have one these http://www.opticsplanet.com/egw-ruger-10-22-picatinny-rail-scope-mount.html on all my scoped 10/22's so that I can get the scope far enough forward.
These are a bit pricey but well worth it, at least for me. I have the 20 MOA rail as it helps with longer distance shooting but the 0 or 5 MOA should also work. I believe that joeboboutfitters.com
also carries some form of extended picatinny rails for the 10/22.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837