News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX August 11/12, 2012

Started by spitstickler, August 14, 2012, 01:10:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spitstickler

We started off the Appleseed weekend with a rare break from the heat on Saturday morning. I think we were actually below 80 degrees during set up and registration. As attendees began to show up, we had a few familiar faces as several of the Civil Air Patrol cadets were back out with Mr. Twa. We also had a good group of folks who were eager for their first taste of Appleseed. Fathers and sons, friends, and family made up the rest of the line.

All in all, things ran pretty smoothly this weekend and I saw improvement from everyone. When we brought out the AQTs we had several folks knocking on the door. James posted in the high 190s and Brad was at 207. Almost there!

One new Rifleman passed over the 210 mark this weekend. CONGRATULATIONS ALLEN! Job well done.  Allen is pretty much a walking encyclopedia of history and it was a pleasure to have him provide additional details of different muskets and other items of the Revolutionary War era. After he earned his patch, his first question was "What can I do to help?" Which was shortly followed with "What do one need to do to be an Instructor?" :)  So, we got those questioned answered and he started helping score some AQTs.  Big Huzzahs, for Allen! That is definitely the spirit and I certainly hope you consider joining us as an Instructor.

We really did have a great group of attentive and persistent shooters this weekend. Great attitudes all the way around.  Nathan ran a bolt gun all weekend and did quite well with it. Even after a short try with a semi to help out with the rapid fire stages, he decided to roll with his rifle. Gotta like that.

It was great to spend the weekend with all of you. Even though it was a toasty as far as the temperature gauge, you all stuck with it. The Mehalko family on the end of line did it as a team. One of the highlights of the weekend for me was watching 11 year old Darren put the pieces together. This young man participated in every course of fire, was the first to stick his hand up to volunteer with any of the safety rules, six-steps, you name it... He had it down by Sunday afternoon.

Yes, it was brutally hot Sunday afternoon. One of the hottest days of the year here in DFW. As much as we tried to stay hydrated throughout the weekend sometimes you just can't keep up. Dominic re-qualified this weekend during the hottest part of the day. The weatherman said it was 108°  Congratulations! (...and keep drinking those fluids!) ;)

Brad & James, keep after it! You WILL get there. Everyone one else as well... This will happen for you too, if you set a goal and work towards it.

Very special thanks to DFW instructor crew this weekend: Tim, Dave, Bridget and Jeremy, this event wouldn't have happened without you all. Tim moved up to IIT3 and Stitz moved up to IIT1. Congratulations, and thank you all for your commitment to the program.

More pics on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.404623619594805.91192.112988112091692

Feel free to post more here or there (or both) if you took any this weekend.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

TimBeatty

I want to thank everyone who attended this weekend. I had a lot of fun meeting and helping everyone. I hope to see all of you come out again and participate in future events.
Tim Beatty