News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

C'mon Washington

Started by Wheeler44, June 27, 2008, 12:33:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheeler44

Hey Washington........Your Appleseed team is working for you....

We have started work on a dedicated range in SW Washington.

We have a first ever Western Washington Appleseed scheduled on August 9-10, 2008.

We are producing Instructors.

What else do you want?  What else do you need?

What can we do to get you to an Appleseed or an Appleseed to you?

This is the place to voice your concerns. This is the place to share your ideas. This is the place to take ownership of the program.

But,.................................

It all starts with you, if we don't know who you are, we can't serve you...and help you...

So...............................Speak up.......tell us who you are......tell a joke....heck, tell us to go away if thats what you want.....but say something......

It's YOUR Appleseed program...helping save YOUR Country.....starting with YOUR neighborhood ....

So, C'mon Washington

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

rn49

Whoa...
   Have been trying to obtain use of a 500 meter range in the south Pierce County area and am set up for a meet with the range board on 7 July. Now... I learn there is a dedicated range being put in at Castle Rock. A bunch of folks from KISSATA in the Centralia area may well be interested. Anyway, I need Fred's book ASAP for the meet on 7 July. How to make that happen?

rn49

Wheeler44

Welcome aboard rn49, you should be hearing from artandscience about the book soon.  Anything else we can do to help get a shoot going up there?

By the way who or what is KISSATA?

Wheeler44
"Appleseed,  putting the second amendment into the hands of American citizens."     -Mrs. Wheeler

"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship instructors on the planet."   -Son of Martha

Wade

rn49  the Range will only be 25 meters (sorry I don't own enough land for bigger)
Wheeler44 look it up www.kissata.com cammander klick started it up good group of folks and some good info.

Wade
Got Tired of looking for a Rifle Range So we Dug one up!
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

bull1861

YES! Finnaly made it on the board!
Bull checkin in here, looking to help in any and every way I can to get this operation off the ground in Castlerock. Im pretty near by in South Lewis County, and when I heard through KISSATA that there might be a Castlerock shoot this summer, well, you can imagine my excitement. Its been a personal goal of myself and others in my AO to attentd an appleseed, and gas prices being as they are, we werent looking forward to making the long treks. This is a great opertunity! If anyone has any details please PM me, or just check in and Ill give you my contact number.

Bravo-Six-One
"in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello: In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war. "

bull1861

alright, so, made contact, marked the calander, next step, need the info. Im going to be shooting a 22lr so ammo shouldnt be an issue ofcourse, but how much will I need, 500, more? Im unsure as to weather this is going to be a mini-shoot or an actual appleseed, what goes into it, what is expected of me, how much does it cost, so on and so forth, any help or words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.
"in pace, ut sapiens, aptarit idonea bello: In peace, like a wise man, he appropriately prepares for war. "

Wheeler44

Hey Bull, it will be a full Appleseed.
500 rds. for the weekend should be enough.  If not, 4 corners is just down the road.
Cost will be $70.00 for both days, plus a $10.00 one time range improvement fee (since you are so close and willing to work on the range, you can probably work the range fee off) ;D.

Start practicing now, get Freds' book, learn the positions, dry fire, dry fire, dry fire. at least 30 shots a day. ( hint #4-6 X7/8" ribbed plastic anchors, you know for hanging pictures into drywall, are the same size as a .22lr.  use them like snap caps to prevent damage to your .22)

Practice getting into sitting and prone positions.

Sight in your rifle to 25 yds.  Make sure that it's gonna run (practice)

EAR AND EYE PROTECTION ARE REQUIRED!!!

Stretch

plan to bring plenty of water, lunch, sunscreen, a shootin' mat (or large carpet scrap), some folks like elbow pads, A shootin' jacket if you have one,

Most important, bring a teachable attitude. You can learn an awful lot from the instructors.

wheeler44

ps
PM me with your contact info, I'll call you when we're planning on working on the range.

Wade

Hey all
if you run out of .22 ammo at the this shoot you can buy/or replace some extra I keep on hand I don't like the idea of any one missing any Range/learning time.
Bring plenty of .22 ammo for your LTR bring lots of drinking water do not forget salt your body needs salt, #1 bring a teachable willing to learn you .

Wade
WOOF!
4 box's #1 the soap box#2 the letter box #3 the ballot box #4 the cartridge box, The founding fathers picked up the Cartridge box so that WE could use the first 3,,IMO If you don't use those 3 then you dishonour the founding Fathers !

Fredness

Looks like I'll be there, I had a car show I was going to work, pimpin' my warez  :P ...but this is much more important.

Who do I pester to reserve a camp site?  Looks like I'll have another shooter in tow, too.

What do I want/need?
Besides time off?  Well, I need to qual as a Rifleman (missed by 3 points in Whenatchee), so I can instruct!

Looking forward to it, marking the calendar!
Apr '08 Wenatchee, WA: 179 start, 205 finish - Cook  :P (Saiga .308-1)
Aug '08 Castle Rock, WA: 226 start, 234 finish - Rifleman - IIT :) (Walmart 10/22)

Wheeler44

Hey Fredness, PM Wade for camping, but the best way would be to sign up for the Instructors Boot Camp August 7-8, 2008 at the same place. You would be one of the first on site and could have your pick of camp spots.  When you complete the instructors boot camp you will be an instructor not an instructor in training and can really help the program.

The cost is $100.00 and I promise we will wring that extra 3 points out of you.

You will need the same stuff you had in E. Wenatchee plus more drinking water and sun screen.

PM me with any questions or comments.

Wheeler44

Fredness

You're right, that is what I should do.

Stand by, Plan C in progress...

Are Chris or Fred going to be there, or is it a straight up Western Washington thing?
Aug '08 Castle Rock, WA: 226 start, 234 finish - Rifleman - IIT :) (Walmart 10/22)

Fredness

http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=31837
Pimpin' the 9th/10th WW Appleseed on the appropriate forums...

MEANTREE

Hello everyoone. I am new to the forum and I will be at the Castle Rock shoot tagging along with Fredness. It is good to be involved and if there is anything that I can do to help please ask. Thanks for having me.

"There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Wade

Glad Your comeing  ;D. my son is stationed in New river NC,, would you by any chance have the copy of leather neck magazine that had the write up on Appleseed ?

Wade
WOOF!

MEANTREE

Unfortunately I do not. I let my subscription expire a couple of years ago and when I purchased again I decided to give it to my father-in-law that is a Vietnam era Marine. If you know the month that it was published I can ask if he still has it.

"There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be conquered by the spirit."
Napoleon Bonaparte

Fredness

Do we have a head count for Castle Rock?
Never mind, just saw it was 29 in the other thread.
That's awesome!

And now for the sucky part - I was released from jury duty last night at 5PM.
Sheesh...  :(
That was the one thing keeping me from being at the boot camp today.
Oh well, see you Saturday!

Wade

31 signed up last I heard,,,Build it they will come ;)
WOOF!

SavageShootr

Hey Meantree

Welcome to the forum, and Thank You for serving.

Semper Fidelis, Sir.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

artandscience

I'll let Wheeler44 and Kool Aid speak to our turnout and provide details of our first shoot at the DAR
(I imagine they are still catching up on sleep after an exhausting weekend).

I was buoyed up on my 3-hr drive home last night by the thought that we helped ten men make themselves over into Riflemen over the weekend.

Wheeler44, Wade and I went through an exhausting, challenging, and rewarding IBC led by Junior Birdman and Kool Aid last Thursday and Friday. 12 hours a day, for two days straight, until we passed the final practical exam at 7pm Friday night.

The next morning saw us greeting 30-odd new Appleseeders at the inaugural shoot of the Washington DAR (THANKS SO MUCH WADE FOR ALL THE WORK BUILDING IT!!). An absolutely great range.

Suffice it to say that by the end of the weekend we had given out ALL the Rifleman patches that Kool Aid had brought with him.

Yes, folks, TEN new Rifleman joined the fold over the weekend.

Our first ones were Polar Bear, Fredness, and Meantree (in that order in photo attached). They were so good, we asked them to join the instructor corps as IITs. All are ex-service and we now have a truly strong corps of instructors and IITs to continue our progress.

[attachment=1]

I'll let Wheeler44 speak to some great ideas he came up with to promote Appleseed in his post.

Proud to be part of this organization!!

Stefan (aka artandscience).
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

Benjamin Franklin

funfaler

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

Mister Clark

Hi All, Polar Bear Here!!

I wanted to post some thoughts regarding the shoot this weekend. I have to say that I was mighty impressed by the turnout, the Range Facilities (Thanks Wade!!), and the professionalism and dedication of the Instructors. I had a wonderful time and I have to admit to a bit of pride not only in making Rifleman, but in being brought on as an IIT. I hope to see many of you at future Appleseeds and look forward to getting to know folks a little better on the boards!
Everyone be sure to keep in touch!!

Polar Bear
Shortly before World War I, the German Kaiser was the guest of the Swiss government to observe military maneuvers. The Kaiser asked a Swiss militiaman: "You are 500,000 and you shoot well, but if we attack with 1,000,000 men what will you do?" The soldier replied: "We will shoot twice and go home."

Wheeler44

Excellent Photo Artandscience.  I really like the way that you captured the symbolism.  The grins on the new Riflemens' faces, the very bright and shiny Orange Hats, the Liberty Tree in the background, Polarbear clutching his target, Fredness with a camera to record for posterity and Meantree with an apple in his hand. Red, White and Blue ribbons fluttering in the background, apples ripening, the sun shining and the birds chirping. I will remember the four days that we spent together for a long time.

Wheeler44 

AmbulanceDriver

I gotta say, this was among the best weekends I've had.  I said a lot of what I wanted to say over on the Oregon side of the same shoot.  But one thing I wanna say again, is "Thank you"

Thank you to KoolAid for making the trek up north to run the shoot, and to lead a great crew of instructors and IIT's. 

Thank you to the instructors and IIT's.  The help you provided to each and every one of us improved each of us as shooters, and as Artandscience pointed out, brought 10 to RIFLEMAN.  Thank you for your patience, your skill, and your willingness to give up your weekend to teach us not only marksmanship, but also the heritage of our country. 

And especially thank you to Wade, for building a great range for the first Castle Rock Appleseed Shoot.

half_bubble

Hello Washingtonians,

Here I am in Seattle, with hardly any place to shoot. Here is my challenge: What's the nearest range to Seattle where we can get an A/S shoot happening?

I've got two buddies who want to learn. One has all the gear but needs to become a rifleman.
The other is a recovering liberal who has never shot a gun. (We're getting him a 10/22 this week
and then off to the range with some one inch squares)

I read a lot, so everyone thinks I know what to do, but I'm just a cook. All I really know is that I'll get us sighted in and ready to show up at the next shoot.

Note for anyone with Instructor ambitions: Poulsbo Sportsmans Club is offering a Range Safety Officer course starting Nov. 8th or 9th.

artandscience

Half-Bubble,

Let's see. I'm a member at Issaquah and am working on two ranges (whatcom county and cascade rifle and pistol) to host Appleseeds. Snoqualmie Valley Rifle is another possibility. So is Marysville. Most of the ranges are private but there are actually a fair number.
The problem is finding one that doesn't cost a fortune to join that will allow both prone and transitions. Issaquah is a real PIA 'cause
they don't want folks to shoot prone or sitting.

I believe I'm going to try shooting at Snoqualmie either this coming weekend or next weekend. I'll let you know how it is
and how their attitude about it is.

As far as instruction, I'm an RWVA Instructor now so I'd be happy to help. Where do you like to shoot?

regards,
Artandscience
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

Benjamin Franklin

Fredness

Half-Bubble,

My turn, I'm a member at the Plantation Range and am working on them to host Appleseeds.

I will be going to the Plantation Range this coming Saturday (10am to 1ish).

As far as instruction, I'm also an RWVA Instructor and would be happy to help.

regards,
Fredness

Buckshot

Wheeler44,

I am NOT seeing any AAR on current shoots up there on the board.

A guy who's blog I read attended one in Yakima, WA over this last weekend (18 & 19 Oct.) and it was mentioned on his blog, with pictures, but I see NOTHING about it here?  Like it never happened.

He did mention it might well be the last Appleseed held there, so maybe that has something to do with it?

Just wondering what is going on out that way.

Buckshot

Wade

Bolth Wheeler and my self jumped right back to our job's right after short sleep after getting home from the shoot much to catch up on ,,,right now I am hunderds of miles from home and abit to tired to write an  good aar up.

Wade
WOOF!

Buckshot

Wheeler44,

Found the AAR I could not find before.

Your and the original poster's entries only.

Looks like that range is being phased out and left to die a quiet death?

Trying to compared it with Jeffersonian's blog and just nothing there to compare.

Buckshot

whittyman

Hello from the Wenatchee Valley!  I am just getting started but hope to be official before to long.  I just found out about Appleseed and I believe it a great way to save America!