News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Manhattan, NY 10/11 Aug 2012

Started by Jay Haich, August 12, 2012, 02:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jay Haich

Just a quick place holder for the After Action Report that will follow on Sun evening:

I hope the students had as enjoyable a shoot as I did!

The Fri night presentation was not as polished as I like but we got thru Safety, the First Strike and most of the instruction (Rifle orientation, basic internal and external ballistics, Steady Hold Factors, 6 steps, NPOA & a very brief intro to Minutes of Angle. Time was limited (6pm to 10 pm) on Fri nite so I opted not to try and shoot as I would not have time to "convert" the indoor range for Appleseed (flip up the shelves in the shooting ports and move the barriers from the front of the shooting port). Instead I ran a dummy line with 6 training rifles (decomissioned 10/22's) that are provided by the indoor shooting range - convenient as we only had 6 shooters on Fri nite. I was assisted by one of the students Wayne who had attended a prior Appleseed in PA. He slung up and was my "Model" for the prone position with loop sling.  One of the students was unfortunately only going to be with us for the one nite so he did not get the full experience. We hope to see Dany back in the near future.

As we only have 8 hours of instruction over the 2 nites (lost 1/2 hr for a break each nite) there are items that are skipped (such as Hasty and Hasty Hasty slings as the range rifles do not have attachment points - we improvise and place the loop sling over the barrel).

On Sat evening we had two repeat students join us (good to have Ken and Rob back ....).

GREAT NEWS! ^:)^
Wayne stepped up and took an Orange Hat at the beginning of the evening (much to my relief, as it is not "nice" to run a line with only a Shoot Boss).

We recapped the Safety, SHF, 6 steps and NPOA and got the 2nd and 3rd Strikes done. Then we went to put lead down range O0.

Part 2 to follow later (with more pics).....

We shot groups on squares and it was great to see the improvement that was made.
We finished with the squares after we played NPOA "Ping Pong" .
We posted a Greenie and used that for a Trigger Reset Drill and a CadenceDrill and as an intro to Mag changes.

After the break we went thru the standing Steady Hold Factors and then shot the 100yrd target on the Greenie.
The shooters were very understanding and I pushed them throught 2 Stage by Stage AQTs.
...... more to follow later tonight... (Part 3)

Just for Fred: Possibly the most important thing I learned at a "Fred IBC"   ;D
'All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie' >:D
(but it sure is difficult to adjust those Tech Sights with the tip of my Sharpie....)

If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

sgtrock

You're a good man there Jay
Thanks for covering this shoot,,,,

With an IIT stepping up I would concider this shoot a success, nice work

sgtrock

Josey Wales

..that's right, "All's it takes is a Red Hat and a sharpie."
   I am a big fan of low tech, great job!!

.. Strength & Honor....... Josey Wales......
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Jay Haich

Thanks Steve

Hope all is well.

Be Safe
JH
Quote from: sgtrock on August 12, 2012, 07:58:17 PM
You're a good man there Jay
Thanks for covering this shoot,,,,

With an IIT stepping up I would concider this shoot a success, nice work

sgtrock
If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.

Fred; Quoted (out of context) at an IBC on Battle Road 2011 "All it takes is a Red Hat and a Sharpie to run an Appleseed."
We ALL know this is not true and I would like to thank all the Hats, Admin and other volunteers that are involved in making an Appleseed Shoot happen.....

R1SGx2

People look at Manhattan and say WOW - what a big City / and it's in a huge State, then an Appleseed happens in the City that never sleeps,

what happens next is a blur, New York, with it fast pace had assistance from our neighbor, Connecticut steps over the line, :bow: :bow: Thank you Jay - truth be known, couldn't of done it with out you, Thank You. O0 O0

QuoteWayne stepped up and took an Orange Hat at the beginning of the evening
Thank you Wayne, we need the help...

Ken and Rob, thanks for coming back,

and to all thank you for what you do to save our Nation....,,,,
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

Thank you Jay and Ray for all the work that you do.  Love them border raiders :bow: :bow:

Thank you to all the shooters.  You know what you are about....now spead the word!!

Sue
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

VietVet

Great job and thank you for stepping up when needed JH.

Manhattan can offer some challenges but you handled them well.
Hopefully you'll be back in NYC again and we'll get your NYC accent fine tuned.

Well done.  O0
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

Wy

Wy here, finally got around to registering.

Glad to help, by the way. Great time, definitely a challenge shooting the 300/400 yard targets in sitting positions with loaner rifles. Also, thanks for the help, Jay. Hope to see ya again.

LittleMo

Thanks Jay for stepping up and for a successfull event!

Wayne, congratulations! Study and sign up to instruct at more events. I hope to meet you at another Appleseed soon.

Great job by all and thank you to the students of Project Appleseed!

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

MatthewF

First, thanks to Mr. H. for running the event. This was my first Appleseed shoot, and I was rather pleased with the quality of instruction and the attention to safety.

If anything could be improved, it would be more time actually firing the rifle. Given the time constraints of this location, the Appleseed organizers should consider emailing a PDF of the course materials to the attendees for advance reading a day or two prior to the event. Providing the informational materials in advance would allow the instructor to spend less time laying some of the informational groundwork. An hour or two saved in the classroom means that time could be reallocated to the firing line.

Thanks again. I hope to attend at least another shoot before the end of the year. 

so attendees 

PHenry

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata