News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Castro Valley, CA August 18-19, 2012

Started by Nero, August 11, 2012, 08:57:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

This is a placeholder.

Information about Appleseed-friendly activities at the Chabot Gun Club is here:
http://bit.ly/MOQxm5
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

Day 1 is in the books.

27 Americans turned out on a beautiful Bay Area day to shoot with us and learn some of their heritage.  Admirable safety and attention to instruction from all.

No riflemen made today, but several knocking on the door.  Let's go Rhiannon, Matt, Ken and Dave!

We had Daimian step up to take an orange hat, and join his father Goose in the instructor corps! Welcome!  ^:)^   Now get to get work!   ~~:)

And - we lost an orange hat - as BoxesOfLiberty (Dennis) graduated to full red hat instructor!   ^:)^  ^:)^   Congratulations to Dennis! 

Tomorrow we expect to see a lot of returning 'seeders out to beat down that AQT!  More news to come...
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Nero

We had beautiful weather for day 2 of Appleseed at Castro Valley, and we got right down to reviewing our fundamentals, with the IITs leading the way.  By lunch we had shot through one AQT with instruction, and our first Rifleman had been found, as Dave H came in with a 232. 

We heard stirring tales of Dangerous Old Men and Determined Dames from our IITs, and then got right down to that AQT grind.  Dave H showed that is was no fluke, and proceeded to beat the AQT into submission with scores of 239 and 243.  A man who knows very well what he is about!

But the next rifleman to step forward was a woman, only the 2nd to shoot her score at Chabot Gun Club.  At our afternoon break, Kendall W had her patch presented by our 1st local riflewoman, IIT American Amazon (Pat).  They've qualified on identical scores of 230, both establishing a challenging mark and setting up possible shoot-off in the future!  Kendall and father Bruce are now also the only father-daughter Rifleman pair to come out of this range!

We paused in the afternoon for refreshments and a lesson on ballistics and long distance shooting by yours truly, and returned to the AQTs for two more tries.  There were many knocking on the door in the 180 and 190 range, and somewhere along the line the evil  >:D shoot boss sandbagged a qualifying target.  So we were able to surprise Nate with a patch, based on his qualifying 212 target.  Well done!

We saw lots of improvement over the weekend, including some impressive efforts by novice shooters.  Keep practicing, and we'll see you again!

More to come on this thread, when I get the cameras downloaded - including pix of Nitin's awesome hat!  I saw others snapping pix, including Freeman (Chris), so post 'em up!

:pics:

slugworth

Big thanks to the IITs, Is, Shoot Boss, and volunteers for making this such a fun and safe weekend.  Excellent instruction, a fun inclusive atmosphere, and great motivation to civic involvement!

Slugworth (aka DavidH).

Edheler

Congratulations Kendall I knew you would get your patch soon!

haleson

I'd like to reiterate David's thanks to everyone - Nero, the instructors, instructors-in-training, and the other Appleseeders for a fantastic weekend.  I was at my local indoor range this afternoon with a loop sling and HITTING WHERE I AIMED!  I'm already signed up for October - and telling all my friends to sign up, too ;D

Ken
Resistance to tyrants is obedience to God. -- Stuff Jefferson Said, Third Edition, Revised

Nero

On behalf of the instructors, thanks for the kind words!  We look forward to seeing you again - and bring a friend!

And now, on to the pix:

Day 1:  Dennis earns his red hat!   ^:)^

Daimian (right) takes an orange hat and joins his father Goose in the instructor corps!  Welcome!

Brian was doing good work with his bolt gun

The shoot boss plays demo dummy

Dave H beats that AQT into submission

Kendall and Quincy on stage 2.  Kendall's interesting kneeling position...

...proves effective, as she scores a 230 and joins American Amazon in ranks of Riflewomen

Tosin

The right side of the line, or at least those without the 'no photo' stickers

Look, up in the air!  It's a bird, it's a plane - it's probably just a stiff neck.

Nitin's snappy hat adds class to the line!  Hey, Fred, have you ever considered fedoras for shoot bosses?   ;D

And how about Quincy's socks!?   >:D

Nate joins the California Riflemen!

There are more in the album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/CastroValley812

(We didn't get as many as usual, so help out with your own pix!)

Edheler

Quote from: Nero on August 22, 2012, 06:57:26 PM
Day 1:  Dennis earns his red hat!   ^:)^

I am very sorry that I missed that above! Congratulations Dennis! The hat looks good on you! O0