News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Rexburg ID 8-10,11,12 2012

Started by Mark Davis, August 10, 2012, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Davis

Got the car loaded with supplies ready for a 3 am start, BEEMER should already be in Rexburg, Jen, Andrew, and Angelica are on signed up to shoot but ready to help out if needed. Saterday GlassHunter, and Clinger will be helping out too.
Looking forward to three days smelling of burned powder, sharing the skills of riflemen, and spinning the yarns of our heritage.

Mark Davis

Rexburg, started Friday as a family event the twelve people on the line only had three diffrent last names, Jen, Andrew, and Angelica on the left. Harry, Lindsey, Jack, Caroline, Mike, and little Gracie in the center. Jim, Lisa, and Kyle, on the right.
We fired in a fresh  dug bay with dark sandy soil. when the wind blew the dirt was mostly  heavy enough to  stay put. The skies were very hazy with three hot days of shooting.
The shooters who's first day of appleseed was Friday morning brought good equipment, but had plans to up grade sights by Friday evening.
Saturday morning brought us two more shooters, took away two shooters from the previous day, and two more instructors, Nathan had a 10-22 nicely equipped for appleseed, while Carol walked on the line with a rifle she had fired rifleman with just last week. Carol confirmed her Rifleman status with a score better than before. Jen and Andrew, both instructors came of the fireing line to work as instructors which freed up John to help out Nathan, with an accelerated introduction to positions, transitions and mag changes.
Sunday brought us two more shooters, and one less instructor. Ray, an experienced appleseed shooter and Doug who needed personal instruction by John to come up to speed on positions, transitions, and mag changes.  Jack put it all together delivered a score of 222 to receive his badge of the rifleman.
For history on Sunday, the three strikes was retold.
Looking forward to meeting old and new Friends again out there at another rifle range!

agohr101

had a great time as well as everyone who was there. we saw lots of improvement in all the shooters. it was my first time instructing and i learned a lot myself, thanks to those who came.

Deflexor

That rifle Nathan had was mine. A friend (Ben) got his rifleman patch at Blackfoot two years ago using that same rifle. It is a rather unique 10/22 in the first place.

I only participated on Sun as I live a night shift schedule and it is very difficult for me to be up during the day. First AQT got a 197, would have made it if I hadn't messed up which mag I had on the seated shoot, only got  5 shots on that one. My scores always go down as the day wears on.  :wb:

Anyone doing a night time AS? That is my best time of the day.

Still enjoyed myself, that is what is important.

Jen123Rex

I really enjoyed this Appleseed.  The three-day format seemed to meet the needs of the shooters.  What does everyone who attended think?

Do you want another three-day Appleseed in Rexburg?

Congrats on your patch Jack.  I can see all of your siblings wanting to earn theirs as well.

More pictures will follow.

ID_Hezekiah

Sounds like a very successful shoot. Sorry that I couldn't have helped out on the line, but I'm currently in Illinois competing in the World FITASC shotgun championships. I hope to see many of you in Blackfoot.
The British learned to dread the frequent appearances of this dire rider at unexpected points along the route of their passage, for his aim was true, and the economical principles in which he was trained forbade his wasting powder and ball.

Mark Davis

I'm up for another three day shoot!
But slightly cooler weather please.

Jen123Rex

I know cooler weather would be great and a two-day event may work for one.  The only time both the college and the local school districts are out at the same time is in August.  So to meet the needs for  a Friday, Saturday, the schools need to be out.  Most people won't take their kids out of school for an Appleseed (you know I would >:D)

So for 2013, what do you think?
Have a three-day event scheduled some where between May 24th and mid June.  It is usually pretty cool here at that time, often snowing and raining.  The college would be in session, so that portion of the population would not be able to attend.  The local school districts are out of session.

Have a three-day in August and possibly catch more people?

Have a two-day event in June or early October?

Have a three-day in October?

Have more than one in Rexburg?

There are so many options -- What should we do? :sos:

Mark Davis

More than one would be a good thing.
We do not want to get a weekend that Cedar Hiss or Jackson Hole is having appleseed.
June, August, Oct Might be a good plan

MOJER

I think I was having too much fun to notice the hot weather.  Since this was my first Appleseed, I was not sure what to expect and I was A littel unsure what I was going to be doing.. However, I was made to feel welcome right away.   I learned so much in a such a short time .  Thank you Mark, and Jhon for imparting your knowledge, and passion.  The history lesson was was alot of fun as well, and has forced me to dust off some of my old books.  Thank you Jen for making appleseed so close to home.  I have the Bug, and I am putting Rays 10/22 on my christmas list. 
Thanks Again,
Nathan

Mark Davis

Glad to see you come on line MOJER. Welcome!
If you have any questions or thoughts send a PM my way.

BEEMER

As per usual  I look at things on the computer rather reluctantly , but wanted to tell everyone  I sure enjoyed your hospitality and getting to share the time with you , Nathan , keep up the good work , I saw some real progress there.
Cheers Beemer