News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

BURLINGTON FLATTS, NY AUG 4 - 5 2012

Started by Odin, August 05, 2012, 11:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Odin

It was a hot, windy August day when five fine Americans came down a dirt road to Burlington Flats New York to partake in a marksmanship clinic called Appleseed.  These outstanding patriots received their marksmanship training and much more.  They heard the history of April 19th, 1775 and by taking steps towards becoming riflemen they turned that history into their heritage.

This weekend we had an uncle and nephew team (Ed & J), a husband and wife (Steve & Carrie) and a repeat Appleseeder (gthomas).  Even better, Sunday we had an addition to our line, Dave another repeat Appleseeder.

Ed and J were both beginners and soaked up all the instruction we provided and showed remarkable improvement.  J was our young shooter this weekend and was remarkable.  Not only was he polite, out going, he also knew his history.  It truly was amazing to see.

Steve and Carrie, did just as well.  They had a great teachable attitude, demonstrated by their improvements over the weekend.  Steve managed to shoot rifleman on his second AQT on Saturday, a nice 210.  Carrie is well on her way to the attaining that score.

Gthomas our first repeat Appleseeder, did very well this weekend.  First AQT on Saturday he shot 211.  Sunday, he took the orange hat joining New York's instructor crew.  I'm looking forward to working with him on future shoots.

Dave, was at the shoot on Saturday (and the Friday prior to that) helping set up the firing line and getting everything ready for the event.  He has done this numerous times in the past and is one of the reasons why the events at BFlats are so successful.  I was happy that he was able to shoot today.  He is well on his way to attaining the score.  Thank you for all you did this weekend.

Did I mention that it was hot and windy?  Saturday, we had highs in the mid 90s (I believe 94) with high humidity and some very strong gusts of winds, but our shooters preserved through the day on Saturday.  I was beginning to wonder what happened to the cold, rainy shoots (IE good shooting weather) that I was used to at Bflats.  Sunday, Bflats came through for me, providing some strong wind, rain and threat of severe storms (that were nice enough not to hit while shooting). 

To my instructors (Sgtrock, microred, and countryboy243):  It was a pleasure working with you as always.  Sgtrock, you were a great help and just for you I capitalized all the letters in the heading.  Microred, congrats on earning your promotion, you did very well this weekend.  Countryboy, it is always a pleasure to have you working the line.

To my shooters:  Thank you for making my job this weekend easy.  It was a pleasure meeting all of you and I hope to see you at another Appleseed soon. 

Pictures I hope will follow soon (I wasn't able to taken any, but I know others did).
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

"To ask well and answer rightly are the marks of a wise man" - Havamal

Ed Lentz

I just want to say thanks to all the instructors. I know I had a heck of a good time and so did J.

I really learned alot this weekend. I feel that for the first time in my life I can pick up a rifle and shoot it properly. I still have a ways to go for my rifle man patch but I'm closer now than I've ever been or ever would have been without your instruction.

I want to send a special shout our to Steve for loaning both me and J his rifles. J was trying to talk me into buying him a bipod by lunchtime and I'm sure he was working on his mother and step dad all the way home in the car.

I'll be back in Sept for my rifleman's patch. I traded my wife tennis in the park together for coming with me to the next appleseed. I'm sure she'll enjoy the appleseed far more than I'll enjoy the tennis.

On a side note I have a nice red welt turning blue bruise on my shoulder from that carcano. I already ordered a recoil pad for it and will be bringing it again next time. I was thrilled to learn my family heirloom really does shoot well. I can't wait to try it on the KD range after I adjust those sights a bit.

sgtrock

Here are some pictures from this most incredible event,,

First up is gthomas 2nd time Appleseeder and now a Rifleman and New IIT

Steve with a score of 210 and a refreshing dose of North Bridge Water

And here comes our Posterity  ''J'' as he likes to be called, He was just a Pleasure to have with us, He's smart, funny and very polite, A True Future Rifleman he scored 139 and being our Designated Rifleman/Sniper, he earned a very special place in the hearts of all who met him at this event.

Our Saturday group picture

It getting late I'll post our KD and other pictures in the morning

sgtrock

R1SGx2

QuoteI have a nice red welt turning blue bruise on my shoulder from that carcano. I was thrilled to learn my family heirloom really does shoot well.[/quote]

I hope Nickle and Imker see this....

KD portion must of been fun with the wind and heat, bet the heat brought hazing out at the target line.

Great to see family being brought to the line.

Thank you to David for helping Friday night setting up, that is special.

QuoteI'll be back

That was from Ed, and bringing wife, more family to the program, great. Ed, a sore finger beats tennis elbow,,,,,

Quotehe also knew his history

Nice job J....

Good job by all...
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

Congrats to shooters and instructors alike.  Nice to know B-flats does not fail us.  Always gotta be a bit of challenging weather whenever we are there!!
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

sgtrock

Good Morning

Here are some more pic's of our event  (click on pic's to make them bigger)

First up is,
Steve and Carrie (centered) They hail from our central NY area, very pleasent to have on the line with us,,, The M&P 15-22 that Steve used performed flawlessly,,, Carrie did very well with the 10/22 as well,,,

Here's one I think Master Instructor Nickle would like to see, a beautifully restored family heirloom a 6.5 Carcano that belongs to Ed (''J''s Uncle) with non adjustable sights, (except with a drift punch and a file).
Ed found the sweet spot for the sight alignment of this rifle and took it the KD range and placed 3 shots at 100yds in the black and rang steel at 115yds as well,,, Steve said he had very little experience in shooting, however he learnt very quickly, and to get a sight system such as that on target the first time around is outstanding.
1st pic is zeroing of the carcano and 2nd pic is at the KD range,,,Nice job Ed,,

Our Shoot Boss for this event Odin
and our New IIT1 microred whatching over the line, she is a very dedicated woman and will make a fine instructor,,, All part of the B-Flats crew,,,

Here is ''J'' at the KD range going for the 100yd target,,, look at that man's form and position he will be an excellent rifleman in a very short time,,, Now look at his results,,, all in the black 3-5's and 2- 4 ring hits,,, then he did IMC and I placed the D.O.P.E. on the sights and he came back and centered up his shots on the target.

I had worked with him on the adjustments for the sights on the KD range and when he got back to the 25m line he grab a sight tool and made his adjustments on his own, to restore his 25m zero,, Just an outstanding job this young man did all weekend long,,,,

More pictures to follow,,,

sgtrock

sgtrock

And now for the Newest instructor for Burlington Flats Crew

gthomas accepts the Orange Hat from Our Shoot Boss Odin

Greg is a resident of Central NY as well,,, So we will have days on the KD range that we can turn into mini IBC's for the crew here,,, Many hands, make bailing light work,,,

Now to add to Greg's credits here,,, this was his 2nd event,,,
From his first event he had purchased a Service Grade M1 from the CMP with the CMP Certificate that we issue to students,,,
I used my guages to confirm the numbers on his barrel and chamber and Op-Rod they checked correct and better as to what was indicated,,, he zero'ed that rifle and went to the KD range and at 200yds this was the result,, first time on target,,,

He has a Great rifle here,,, hopefully he will be able to take it out 500yds and Farther in September at Lewistown, PA,,,

Fine Job Greg

gthomas

I want to thank all of the instructors and shooters who helped and worked with me. The marksmanship skills and history that I picked up at the appleseeds I attended was far greater than I could have imagined beforehand. Everyone at BFFGC made me feel welcome and at home from the minute I stepped on the grounds. I look forward to working with everyone as an IIT.

... I'm still blown away by the quality and performance of my M1 at distance, I couldn't be happier.

Ed Lentz

Greg,

Your garand was awesome. Thanks for bringing it.

Just a point in comparison. My Carcano was built in 1943 and could have quite possibly have seen your garand in action. Its amazing how much better equipped the American GIs were compared to the Italians.

Ed

sgtrock

Greg

You did very well my friend, the rifle you possess is a beautiful specimen, a great piece of history,
It does my heart good to see it in the hands of a Rifleman with your talents,,,

I hope to have another KD day at the club in the near future I will be letting you know the progress on lining that up.

Here's another pic of that rifle in action at the 300yd line

Pic of what the shooters see at 300 here at B-Flats

Odin

Ed, I'm glad to hear that you are coming back in September with your wife.  I was impressed with how much you soaked in the instruction.  Your continually shrinking group size was proof that you brought the most important thing to an Appleseed, a teachable attitude.

You are also a great example of taking what we teach and adapting it to your equipment.  You couldn't adjust the sights on the carcano.  You perserved, adapting the fundamentals and had success at KD.  Outstanding job.

Greg,

You are going to make a fine instructor, our future shooters are lucky that you decided to take the orange.  I look forward to working now as a fellow instructor.
Deluce Bellum Inexpertis (sweet is war to those who have never experienced it) - Roman Proverb

"Of his knowledge a man should never boast, but be sparing in his speech.  When to his house a wiser man comes, seldom do the silent make mistakes" - Havamal

R1SGx2

QuotePic of what the shooters see at 300 here at B-Flats

Sweet pictures, tell the whole story.....

Thanx Rock
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

Josey Wales

..Odin..

..Well Done Shoot Boss Dan..  Glad to see you running a Burlington Flats event O0..

..SgtRock..  Nice KD photos, Thanks for all you do, Brother :---......

.microred, and countryboy243, Thanks for stepping up and working the shoot..

.......Strength & Honor...........Josey Wales.............................

..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

Odin

Thank you Nick.  Hope to see you on the trail again sometime soon.

Orangedotfever

Quote from: Ed Lentz on August 06, 2012, 09:55:18 PMIts amazing how much better equipped the American GIs were..........

Let's hope it's always that way.  O0
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

microred

Took a few pics......will let you all see a couple!  Ok, sorry, it will not let me post from here .....or I can not figure it out..yet.!,  Will try from computer.

LittleMo

Ahh, yes...that weather at B Flats! It challenges and Riflemen adapt!

Congratulations for a great event!

Congrats to Gthomas for accepting the Orange Hat! Wear it well, study, and sign up to instruct at more events throughout NYS. Congrats to microred on your promotion! I hope to meet you both soon at another Appleseed! :)

Thank you Burlington Flats and to Dave for help setting up! Thank you to the students of Project Appleseed!

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont