News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Bremen, NY - July 28 & 29, 2012

Started by Another D.O.M., July 31, 2012, 11:21:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Another D.O.M.

I really enjoy Appleseeds at the New Bremen Fish & Game Club.  Located in a quiet, unhurried and rural area of NY, it's nice to drive up onto the Tug Hill Plateau and enjoy a weekend of history, heritage and marksmanship instruction far from the bustle of my own neighborhood.

We had a fantastic two days for this event.  The weather was about perfect for this time of year - not too hot, not too cool, and none of the thunder storms that were forecast for Saturday.

Our students arrived on Saturday morning eager and ready to learn and improve their marksmanship skills.  John, Ezra and Micah, family members from a nearby town, already had significatn skills, but learned a good deal more throughout the weekend.  Dave drove over three hours from the Rochester, NY area to share the weekend with us.  Everyone showed improvement as the weekend wore on and all were planning for their next Appleseed events in the future.  They also thoroughly enjoyed the history of The Three Strikes of the Match and our discussions of how we can all use the stories and lessons of April 19, 1775 to help improve the condition of modern America.

Smurf and myself were pleasantly surprised when Spartan drove onto the range on Saturday morning and offered his assistance in instructing our students.  His last-minute change of plans allowed us a much-needed and greatly appreciated third instructor, making it possible for John to shoot on the KD range on Sunday while our other two Sunday students continued working on their AQT scores.

Cangratulations also go to Smurf who passed his IPC with flying colors.  I've worked with Smurf since his first event as an IIT and I was proud to promote him this weekend to full Instructor in the program.

This was a memorable weekend for all who attended.  I look forward to working with each of those in attendance again along The Appleseed Trail.
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

R1SGx2

Quotesurprised when Spartan drove onto the range
And he always shows up with a smile.... Good Man.

QuoteTug Hill Plateau
Any snow there yet?

It's great when families attend, shows that this is what we are about, family. O0 O0 O0

QuoteDave drove over three hours from the Rochester, NY
WOW  :bow: :bow: :bow: Nice going Dave, I'm sure you had a great time, good instructor crew there.

Congrats to Smurf, looking forward to working with you in that new Red hat.

Good job by all... :bow: :bow:
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

hinermad

Quote from: R1sgx2 on August 01, 2012, 09:03:41 AM
Nice going Dave, I'm sure you had a great time, good instructor crew there.

Thanks, it was definitely worth it. I learned a lot, and Spartan and Another D.O.M. identified the source of some of my difficulties and suggested things to work on to improve them. A relatively new shooter like me doesn't realize how many details go into firing a shot, but these guys made it easy to understand and kept reminding us as we practiced. But they kept it fun, too. I never once felt like I was in basic training. Well, maybe while I was lying in the sand in the rain. (grin) But the rain felt good after the heat earlier in the day.

Things I learned for next time:
1) Bring a lot less stuff.
2) Cheek rests were made for a reason.
3) If you want more ammo, get to Walmart before 10 PM.
4) My GPS doesn't always know the best way. (My drive home was only 2.5 hours.)

Big thanks to Another D.O.M., Smurf, and Spartan for caring enough to come out and set us on the road to becoming Riflemen, and congratulations to Smurf on your promotion!

Dave

Spartan

Great job by all.  keep working at it.  Remember: 1. If you have the buttstock in a different place in your shoulder
-your zero will change every time.  2. Turkey neck includes keeping your head on the comb of the stock in the same
place all of the time and resting your head on the stock so that it is welded. There was allot of learning going on.
I was impressed by the tenacity of the shooters!!!  Great job running the show AnotherDOM and congrats SMURF.
John was impressive that he answered the horizontal distance gravity vs sloped distance gravity Ballistics question
during the KD Class.
What to do with a former navy fighter pilot......
"With your shield or on it"

The Mrs.

Sounds like a great shoot with students who came with a teachable attitude!!  :)

Yup, you never know where Spartan will show up unannounced!  ;)  John - it is always great to see that bright smiling face, even if unexpected.  You bring so much to the table when you come.

Smurf - GREAT job!!  You should be proud.

Thanks ADOM, for Shootbossing what sounds to be another great shoot at New Bremen.
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Smurf

New Bremen Pictures!!!!!!!!!

Spartan

Nice Pictures Smurf!!!  Smiles on all the faces!
"With your shield or on it"

R1SGx2

Smurf, thank you,

And now the rest of the story...

Love it when the pictures show up, and the group red coat with smiles.
Great job in telling the story with photo's....

Good job by all....
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

LittleMo

Wonderful job by all!

Congrats, Smurf!

Thank you New Bremen Fish & Game, and of course to the students!

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont