News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Davilla, Texas: Instructor Centerfire/Distance AQT Field Day

Started by floydf, July 31, 2012, 11:15:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

floydf

Davilla, Texas: Instructor Centerfire/Distance AQT Field Day   

For those Instructors who want/need to shoot some serious centerfire
and distance: here's your chance.

When: Saturday, September 15, 2012

Where: Davilla, Texas (Adam's Ranch)

What: Instructor Centerfire/Distance AQT Field Day

The course of fire will be:

In the morning:

- 25 rounds for zeros on squares
- three 25m AQTs to see which rifles are ready to go the distance
- total: 150 rounds

In the afternoon:
- 20 rds for sighters for come-ups at 100, 200, 300, 400
- two full distance AQTs.
- total: 100 rounds

What you need to bring:
- one centerfire rifle (no spares allowed)
- 250 rounds of the same brand of ammo (with the same zero)
- field shooting kit: you will need to pack rifle, with ammo, water, and gear for
the morning, and then for the afternoon.  During the afternoon we will
be doing a good bit of (rapid) walking; plan accordingly.
- cold lunch

Event starts at 8.45 am with a range briefing, and with rounds going
down range by 9 am.

The day will be done with cars leaving by 5 pm.  This is a one day
event, and will start on time and end on time for those folks driving
a couple of hours to get here.  Please do not be late.

The event will be scored, with individual scores posted in the IAAR so
everyone can see how well they did.  There will be three scores
recorded for each shooter:

- total points for the day
- average points per SD AQT
- average points for FD AQT

Average points will include only full AQTs shot (if your rifle breaks
during the third SD AQT, your average will be computed only for the
two that you completed).

Signup will be through EventBrite.  This event will be limited to
fifteen slots.  Everyone will shoot (rapid fire stages will be run in
relays).

For more information, PM me (floydf).
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

reliable

How do I find "eventbrite"?  Count me in.  Larry/Reliable

aggie

It will be in the system as an EIP in a few days, then you will find it like any other shoot.

Green Bean

floydf

Quote from: Green Bean on August 01, 2012, 09:37:29 PM
Are hatless IITs invited.

Absolutely.  PM me your email; we also run a mail list for instructors in Texas, and I don't think I have your email address.

Thanks,

Floyd
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Two Wolves

Green Bean, I thought you were going to Ramser? When is that?
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

didactic

I still don't see a link to register.  I'd like to come, and I think LabRat intends to, also.  I'm overdue a re-vaccination of Davilla dust and wind.   :~ ^:)^ :~ :~ :~

It's been way too long!!
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

SavageShootr

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

didactic

The link came up, thanks!   ^:)^

But the "Order Now" box turned my cursor arrow into a pointing finger (which would normally indicate a "live" dialog box, wouldn't notice my beating on the mouse button!   ???   :'( :'(

SavageShootr

Quote from: didactic on August 08, 2012, 12:21:56 AM
The link came up, thanks!   ^:)^

But the "Order Now" box turned my cursor arrow into a pointing finger (which would normally indicate a "live" dialog box, wouldn't notice my beating on the mouse button!   ???   :'( :'(

I chose 1 ticket and clicked order now, and it worked just fine. If there is a problem, let's get RW involved.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Reddot

Bullet

"Men do less than they ought unless they do all that they can." --Thomas Carlyle

"But we are not called to lives of prestige; we are called to lives of faithfulness. And sometimes faithfulness is just mundane and daily and ordinary and one foot in front of the other." --N. Adams

reliable

Just registered ang got peanut butter on the keys.  Larry

Reddot

that reminds me of a guy watching tv and eating cheetos....

Two Wolves

A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

didactic

^:)^

It worked fine from my home computer, so it must have been a hitch with the hotel WiFi I was trying to use.

See y'all there!   :)

alonso1

I just registered. 

250 rounds is a good day of shooting but I can afford to burn up that much 5.56.  Guess I'll have to dust off my Garand and start the reloading process today.  See y'all there.

spitstickler

I like the way you think, Mark.  I believe I'm rolling with the M1 as well. May be a game day decision though. I'll have a couple of options ready to go.  :--- :--- :---
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

AlarmList76

floydf

To answer a few questions:

Q: Will there be instruction at this event?

A: No, this is a field shooting day for Instructors, who should already be able to teach IMC and to know the material on the KD hand-out.  Attached please find both the KD hand-out (and review before the shoot), as well as the distance score card that Spitstickler put together.

q: Is this a "run and gun"?

A: No, but you will have ample opportunity to walk if you wish.  One of the objectives is to give an opportunity to hump your rifle in a sling for some moderate distance (normally, doing that in the local neighborhood doesn't work so well).  If you don't want to or can't walk, we will have vehicles.  For those who do walk, if I count right, the one set of sighters for come-ups and the two distance AQTs in the afternoon should result in just under a five mile hike.

Q: will there be chiggers?

A: Scout says he has not had problems.  But, this is pasture in Texas in the summer, so I am personally planning to prepare.  My solution in permethrin on boots, socks, pants (and for this, shooting mat).

Please don't be late.  We will start the briefing at 8.45 (which should give time for Dallas folks to get there without starting excessively early), but we have a LOT of shooting to do, and we do need to start on time.

Attached find the KD handout and the distance score sheet.

Any questions, PM or respond here on the thread.

Two Wolves

Thank you Floyd for all of your efforts to put this togeather and make it happen. ~ Two Wolves

alonso1

Quote from: spitstickler on August 12, 2012, 10:27:33 PM
I like the way you think, Mark.  I believe I'm rolling with the M1 as well. May be a game day decision though. I'll have a couple of options ready to go.  :--- :--- :---

I already wimped out and bought some 5.56  ;D

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: alonso1 on August 22, 2012, 04:55:36 PM
Quote from: spitstickler on August 12, 2012, 10:27:33 PM

I already wimped out and bought some 5.56  ;D

I'm not sure I will have time to delink enough 5.56mm by tomorrow. It sure is hard on the hands delinking those little rounds.

I might have to run a 7.62x54R

Southpaw with a sticky bolt Mosin on an AQT - what could go wrong?  **)

Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

lookylou

floydf

Quote from: lookylou on September 24, 2012, 02:01:03 AM
Do this again and I might even show up.

Dec 9, Sunday.  All Distance All Day.

Fred says it is easier to qualify at FD than at SD.  And dog-gone it, we'll just keep doing it until he's right :)

Green Bean

Quote from: floydf on September 26, 2012, 10:43:19 PM

Dec 9, Sunday.  All Distance All Day.

Fred says it is easier to qualify at FD than at SD.  And dog-gone it, we'll just keep doing it until he's right :)

Time to start planning.

^:)^