News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bluegrass state games AAR

Started by brdholman, July 25, 2012, 12:43:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brdholman

To those who aren't familiar with the bluegrass state games, It is a group of sporting events ranging from bowling to various shooting events. They are held annually in Ky and the events are open to the public.

After seeing someone wearing a bgsg shirt 2 weeks ago I decided that I should check these games out. This is also proof that Shirts can be effective advertisement, it got me to an event. I thought that it might be fun to check my abilities against other shooters I don't know and also a good opportunity to tell some other people about Appleseed. They have several events spread out over 3 or 4 weekends, but I decided to make first my attempt at a Highpower match. While I didn't shoot as well as I should have I did manage to get second place, 5 points behind the first place winner in my class.

My wife and daughter went as spectators and we all had opportunities to tell folks about appleseed. We had to walk to post targets which is an opportunity with a somewhat captive audience. To my surprise everyone that I talked to had already heard about Appleseed. Some didn't know any details about what we do, but everyone had heard of it and most knew someone who had be to an event. The clubhouse even had a good supply of Appleseed trifolds that I assume Ky's very own SC left when he was there last year. We even got a chance to tell a very brief DOM story to a KY State Police employee who had some interest in historical accounts of marksmanship.

My intention with this paragraph is not to ruffle any feathers or start another debate about what should or shouldn't be said. It is just a reminder that we must be careful about more than what image we intend to project. We must also be aware of how it is received if we are to reach a maximum number of people. Topics that may get some people to the line may also alienate others. One individual that I talked at length with had heard of appleseed and had read some of Fred's older columns in Shotgun News. He didn't specifically say that he disagreed with anything, but that he had reservations about being involved with appleseed because he is a government employee. I did my best to assure him that we are strictly about marksmanship and heritage with the intent of getting people more active. Nothing more, nothing less. That anyone is not only welcome, but often free to come see what we are about. That we often have LE on the line and have even taught some soldiers. Maybe we will see him at an appleseed sometime.

Overall, I think it was a fun and productive day. If you are from Ky consider attending next year. If you read this from another state, check to see if your state has a similar program. It is a good chance to get a little more practice and do some 7th stepping. You might even get to bring a medal home with you.
Brad

Unbridled Liberty

Thanks for the report Brad, but
:pics:

Surely Julie took some!  Good shooting and it sounds like you gave the gold medal winner a closer run than I did last year.  I assume you were shooting your U.S. Rifle or your M1A.  Always like to see the old .30 cal battle horses give those plastic poodle shooters a whoopin'.

Indeed the trifolds were from me, but I am sorry to hear there was a good supply because that means nobody has taken any in a year  :(

I almost got the club to host a shoot after attending a board meeting this last winter, but then they called me to say no.  I haven't given up and will try again this fall for next year.  &)  Thanks for the report and congrats on your silver  O0.

UL
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

brdholman

Sorry to disappoint you UL, but I took my plastic poodle shooter. M1 is running low on ammo. I will fix that issue soon.
I read the NRA rule book before leaving and it sounded to me like the M1A must have an M14 butt plate to be legal, mine does not. That may be only for as issued rifle or service rifle matches, I'm not sure. This is all new to me. M1A would have been my first choice, those 5.56 bullets really get pushed around in even a slight breeze. Wind is something I am trying to learn more about now.
Brad

SPQR

Hopefully something to the effect of , "One of my guys came in here, having never shot a Hipower match in his life, ate a sandwich, looked around a little, and took second place in your shoot on an off day," may get someone to listen a little closer.

great job Brad.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

Orangedotfever

We need a good punchline here.

"An Appleseed Rifleman walks into a high power shoot................"
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Brother_COM

Punchline: "An Appleseed Rifleman walks into a high power shoot................" He looks at the men and women standing around who run the place and says, "This is a nice shooting range; You didn't build that!"  Oh wait.... I thought I was finishing a statement from one of O's latest speeches. Whoops, silly me! I need to get more sleep!  #)

Brother