News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Georgia Program Update - Mentoring and More

Started by friedenmeister, July 25, 2012, 11:05:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

friedenmeister

Hello Everybody,

This is Sean (Friedenmeister) here, sending out an update about what's going on in the program. At present we have several developments in the works.

First is our new mentoring program, which I believe will increase our social cohesion and boost our teaching capabilities to even higher levels. It goes without saying that this program is completely voluntary, so here's how it works: incoming IIT's should select an instructor with one or more years of experience to become his or her mentor, and established red hats and other IIT's should do the same. The mentor/mentee relationship will focus on making us into stronger instructors, and the goal here is to eventually have each instructor working with his own mentor while mentoring one or more mentees. This will keep the Georgia instructor cadre better connected with each other.

While you can work with any experienced instructor in the program, DrJohn (912-223-5808), FranklinFarmer (770-445-1145), Morpheus (706-892-8166) and RamblinWreck (423-580-4111) have all agreed to serve as mentors.  Give them a call or drop them a PM to learn more about the mentoring program. Again, this is completely voluntary, but I highly recommend it.

Next on the agenda are Instructor Development Clinics in 2013. We would like to have another KD Clinic for instructors only in March and October of next year. Hopefully we can schedule them both at Graben River Farm, where we recently had our last clinic and we have the possibility of going all the way to 1,000 yards. These next clinics will likely be 2-day, rather than 3-day clinics, to avoid scheduling conflicts for the attendees. To complement these KD events, we would also like to have an Instructor Boot Camp in the summer of next year. This puts us out in the field shooting in the cooler months and keeps us in the air conditioning in the summer.

Other developments are with our sister Appleseed states Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee and Florida. At present, South Carolina has a strong need for instructors to energize their program, and I believe our program is strong enough to help them out. So... if you see any shoots happening in South Carolina, please be sure to check your schedule and see if you can help them out. The instructors over there are great guys and I would like to see their program gain traction. If you have some free time - please look on line for possible new venues in SC. If you find a range that expresses interest - just let me know who to speak to, and I will see to it that they get all the info they need to afford us an event there.

The same goes for the guys in Alabama and Tennessee. If you have friends in any of our neighboring states or if you own property their yourself, seriously consider helping them get some ranges on board. If you make the contacts, we can follow them up.

Lastly, I want to talk about one of my favorite subjects. At shoots we frequently hear people discussing hand loading, but rarely do we have time to go learn this art ourselves. Please let me know if you would be interested in a reloading clinic where we would go over the basics of press setup, depriming, sizing, repriming, metering powder and bullet seating (all the steps).

If you have any other suggestions, drop me a line and get in touch.

Hope you guys are all doing well and I hope I get to hear from you all soon.

Sean (Friedenmeister)
"Aggressive wars, income taxes, national IDs, domestic spying, torture regimes, secret prisons, Federal Reserve manipulation -- we don't have to take it anymore." -- Ron Paul

Ramblin' Wreck

I'm all in on this post. I would also really like to see a clinic on reloading.

Regards,
Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

Morpheus

Indeed we need a reloading clinic/BBQ. While I have little knowledge about reloading, I do know my way around a grill. If someone volunteers their reloading lair I will volunteer some adequate quantity of grill-worthy meat.

I am also encouraged by the mentoring program. We need to keep our momentum going and be proactive in support of all GA Instructors. The Instructor only KD clinic was incredible. That is a prime time to get to know the cadre and I urge everyone to make an effort to attend the next one.

I do hope those in the GA cadre are looking to our neighboring states for events to help out with. I have even been looking ahead to locations that are close to where we are planning trips later this year. What a great opportunity to mingle with others and get a feel for the way Liberty is being awakened in other parts of the country. Give it a try!

Morpheus

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

oldfudd

Hey guys ...  I'd also like to see a handloading clinic, with perhaps some mentoring opportunities thrown in as a plus.  I've got some experience that has mostly been self-learned over the years, but would jump at the possibility of working with others to "fine" tune and enhance what I've been able to pick up on my own.  I would certainly be willing to share what I know with others who would like to get started in "loadin their own".

See ya.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

brianf31

Sounds like good plans!

A little warning on the KDC for those that couldn't make it. After you shoot 500 yards or more, shootin' at 100 is kinda boring.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Son of Isaac

I agree with everything posted in the above thread.  However, you might want to remove the phone #s and have orange hats make initial contact with red hats via PM.  This will allow them to exchange phone #s privately rather than via a public forum.

~TravelPatriot

Scar

Both scar and Scarlet had the best time of our life out at that farm!!!! ^:)^ And would love love love to do it again. 2 days 3 days or all week. Any time around the best damn folks in the south. Is a goood time for us. Oh yeah and the feeling of knowing that we are able to shoot 5 out of 5 at 600yds. Priceless!!! Makes a man proud to know that his wife can do that. And maybe a little scared.

pavelft

Is this mentoring program still going? Or has it dropped off. It's my intention to go to another Appleseed and become an IIT (since I've already scored Rifleman). It would be nice to have some mentorship. Also a reloading clinic would be great. I could help some with that.
"Distrust and Caution are the parents of Security" - Ben Franklin

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which and advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots - 'suspicion.'" - Demosthenes

ItsanSKS

pavelft-

Rest assured, the mentoring program is alive and well in GA.  Feel free to give those guys at the top a call, and they'll get you sorted out.
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

DrJohn

Pavelft,

Roger that, the mentoring program in Georgia is alive and well. We offer all our new IITs the opportunity to choose a mentor to facilitate one's journey through Appleseed. At present, there are four formal Georgia senior Instructor mentors, but one is free to choose anyone else, or even several, with whom to develop a closer relationship in the Appleseed program.

Because of popular demand among our instructors, the Jan. 26 reloading clinic is already booked solid, but "Oldfudd" plans to have another soon after, if he can persuade his wife to let us use his house again!

You have already achieved the more difficult of the two requirements to become an Appleseed instructor, earning the Rifleman patch. The second requirement is to attend a second Appleseed weekend event, and to request an Orange Hat. After that, one has access to the instructor sections of our forum and can volunteer to help instruct future Appleseed events. It is up to the more senior Orange and Red Hats to help you develop as an instructor and facilitate your way up through the ranks. Thank you for your interest, and please let us see you again soon.

In Liberty.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

pavelft

DrJohn, thanks for the info! I'm hoping to get to the Gaston, SC Appleseed. I just need to know when it is. Then it's Orange Hat time! I can't wait!

Forest

"There is one safeguard known generally to the wise, which and advantage and security to all, but especially to democracies as against despots - 'suspicion.'" - Demosthenes

Morpheus

QuoteDrJohn, thanks for the info! I'm hoping to get to the Gaston, SC Appleseed. I just need to know when it is. Then it's Orange Hat time! I can't wait!

Forest

If you truly can't wait and your schedule allows, we can still get you on the line in Macon GA Dec. 15-16. You may pre-register or "walk on". Either way, we would be happy to have you.

and bring a friend or two :)

Morpheus
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)

Adena

Pavelft check out the SC State Board. We have a calendar with shoots for 2013 listed.

Adena
"Children should be educated and instructed in the principles of freedom." - John Adams

"The battle, sir, is not to the strong alone; it is to the vigilant, the active, the brave." - Patrick Henry, Speech in the Virginia Convention, March 23, 1775

pavelft

Morpheus, I would love to make it to the Macon Applessed, but unfortunately my Army schedule doesn't allow it.

Forest

TheIronMantis

Forest,

We love border raiders over here in SC.  Georgia and South Carolina help each other out as much as possible.  Come here February 23-24 of next year.  We will teach you how to shift your NPOA with the South Carolina Skootch and get you under an orange hat.

--Tyler

pavelft