News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bonfield, IL July 14-15,2012 AAR

Started by Wurstmacher, July 17, 2012, 12:48:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

As I drove up to the range on Friday evening, with the intention of getting the line set up, I observed ominous black clouds on the west side of the interstate.  My first thought was that this was a repeat of a couple years ago, when setting up the line was delayed by a severe thunderstorm.  However, for the hour and a half drive up the highway, that cloud bank never moved, it just stayed off to the west the whole time.  I am glad that I went up a day early, as when I got to the range, the key card that I have had for a couple of years would not work to raise the gate.  Luckily the range caretaker was home across the road and let me borrow a key that worked.  I would not have, nor would he have liked it if I had showed up at his house banging on his back door at 6:30 Saturday morning having been unable to get access to the range.

On Saturday we had around 14 shooters, of which there were 5 young boys.  Thanks dads for bringing your young ones with you.  After a couple targets with slings, we decided to put three of the youngsters on sandbags.  Their success and improvement kept their spirits up.  On Sunday morning after shooting 2-3 MOA groups off of bags, I challenged  the boys to give up the sandbags and learn to use their loop slings.  I am happy that they accepted my challenge of self improvement and gave up the sandbags.  Before the end of the day on Sunday, their sling supported prone groups would have been the envy of many adults that have attended Appleseeds.  Thank you boys for your teachable attitudes, safety, and motivation.

This was Dave's second Appleseed.  Having shot Rifleman at his first Appleseed with a .22, he was determined to score with his 5.56.  However, due to equipment frustrations, he was unable to accomplish that goal.  He did indicate that he was interested in helping out, so after visiting with him one-on-one Sunday, Dave accepted an Orange Hat.  Please join me in welcoming Prairie Eagle to the instructor ranks of Appleseed.

Thank you to Castle Mountain, Patriot Gal, and Hasenpheffer for helping out with this shoot.

Please post your experiences and photos.

Prairie Eagle

Wurstmacher, a big thank you to you, Patriot Gal, Castle Mountain, and Hasenpheffer for making it a great weekend! Your telling of the first strike of the match was awesome (but I may have been under the influence of the cold venison beef sticks - yum  ^:)^ ). Patriot Gal's second strike was also phenomenal, made even better by the live appearance by Samuel Whittemore. Thanks also for your guidance and counsel about how I might lend a hand to the cause and instilling the urgency to do so. I took my first seventh step today discussing Appleseed with another new poster on this board on the phone and handing out some flyers to co-workers who I know would be interested.

While I didn't re-score with the new 5.56 (not even close, as Sunday I was all over the board and lost my focus, my groups went downhill bad), you did help me achieve one of my other goals which was to get familiar and comfortable with handling and the battery of arms with this new platform (still feel awkward working the bolt release/bolt lock when slung up). I'm getting thrown a bit by the new kaboom I fear, but there is plenty of time (and some leftover ammo) to work through that. I also met a few new friends along the way. I'm looking forward to setting my rifle aside for a few events and learning how to help in areas where I can learn even more over time.

I think the boys had the time of their life, you could really see the spark in their eyes as their groups started to come together. By the end of the weekend these new future riflemen were certainly well on their way.

TheEditor

Welcome aboard, Prairie Eagle!

TheEditor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Prairie Eagle

Good news for me is I found the cause of my ejection problems on Sunday while cleaning the rifle today. The front gas block set screws must have worked loose even though they were installed by me with blue locktite when I swapped hand guards, - and the front gas block was loose to the hand to slide on the barrel, resulting in very easy blocking of the gas port. Time to step up the loctite and double check after each mag for a while. I should have paid more attention to the fouling along the barrel by the gas block that I noticed. Oh well, I wanted to learn the platform and no better way than finding and fixing problems!

I will say from personal experience that firing the timed sections of the AQT on Sunday in 96 degree heat with a fully manual AR (charging handle to rack the bolt each time) added a whole new dimension of fun that I would not recommend  :wb:  :wb:  :wb: It got so bad that after 2 AQTs I changed back to my 22 in the afternoon. Oh well, a rifleman persists!

Patriot Gal

Welcome Prairie Eagle!!!  Thanks for stepping up and taking an orange hat!!!   O0

Glad you figured out the "puzzle" of what was wrong with your rifle...  O0

It was a great weekend due to the shooters who came out, persevered and overcame in not such nice weather conditions in addition to the dedicated instructors, old and new!!!  You're all great Americans and I'm proud to have made your aquaintance and to have worked with you!!

See you on the Appleseed Trail!   :---
Patriot Gal 
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Castle Mountain

Here are the pics from that shoot. Most enjoyable time it was.

CM
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in