News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Evansville June 21-22 '08 AAR

Started by sur+rifle, June 23, 2008, 11:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sur+rifle

Wow!  What a beautiful Appleseed weekend at Red Brush Rifle Range near Evansville, IN!

While this was our smallest event here to date, the 9 shooters on the line formed a dedicated group.  On Saturday they kept going straight past 7 p.m. and were still wanting more! 

The favorable instructor-to-shooter ratio (1 to 2) allowed for a lot of one-on-one attention.  On the first day one of our frequent Appleseed attendees put up another great Rifleman qualifying score.  This inspired the others to work that much harder.  On Sunday, another shooter scored Rifleman early on and by day's end several others were knocking on the door.  Looking at the before and after 'red coat' targets, it was clear that sizable improvement was made by all.

To me, the highlight of the day was the "fun event" where the shooters took on the role of Rev. War patriots.  At the start, they retired to the local 'pub' (pole barn), waiting for word from the scouts.  Soon word came that the British Regulars were mobilized.  Without missing a beat, they ran full steam to the line, readied their weapons, and on command engaged the oncoming waves from 100 to 400 yards (simulated).    It was quite rewarding to see a smooth volley spring forth followed by repeated ones in Rifleman cadence.  The result was a quite respectable hit ratio at all ranges.

Thanks to all the shooters, instructors, and Red Brush members who made this a successful event!

George

It was great to be back at the Red Brush Rifle Range and work with a bunch of instructors that I gone through the Evansville Boot Camp with last October: sur+rifle, hawkhavn, and The Guy.  New IIT, usafe7ret rounded out the instructor staff at this shoot.

Although the number of shooters attending the Evansville, IN Appleseed was small, 9 on Saturday and 7 on Sunday, what they lacked in numbers was made up for by their enthusiasm.

We had one shooter make Rifleman on Saturday (my good friend and "shooting buddy", TwoGlock).  On Sunday we only had one more shooter make Rifleman but all had made great improvements and were committed to go home, practice and persist to become Rifleman. 

This was a small but dedicated group of shooters.  Three of them joined the RWVA on Sunday.  Seven asked to have CMP "Certificate of Marksmanship Activity" forms completed, taking the first step toward the purchase of an M1 Garand.

Thanks to all the shooters, instructors, and Red Brush Rifle Range members who helped make this a safe and successful shoot.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." - Thomas Jefferson

The American Revolution would never have happened with gun control.

The essance of an adventure is not knowing how its going to turn out.

The Guy

I had fun, and even got to shoot.

George ran a fine AS, that was for sure.

I felt the students were a bit more involved in the History discussions than usual, most likely due to the small group, and it went very well.

Congrats to the Riflemen and the rest for sticking it out, esspecially after the long Saturday.

See you all again soon.

Mudcat

I had a great time at my first Appleseed. I learned a lot and thought the instructors did a great job.I have been getting some practice in (it doesn't cost anything to dry fire ya know) and plan to attend the Sep. 12/13 event in TN. to Make Rifleman!
I am really impressed and amazed at the organization and drive of this fine group of people.

Thanks
Greg Harris
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

hawkhavn

Mudcat,

Welcome on board and I'm glad you had a great time.  Keep up the practice and September will be here before you know it.  Puryear is a great place to shoot, and keep an eye on the Appleseed calendar as there may be another E'ville Appleseed yet this year.

hawkhavn
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com